Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - CPAP Masks with magnets and a pacemaker
FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:06 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

bikerphil
Unread post  Post subject: CPAP Masks with magnets and a pacemaker  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:10 pm

PAP Mask: DreamWear Full Face
PAP Machine: AirSense 10 AutoSet
Pressure Setting: 6- 16

I have a pacemaker and want to know if it's safe to us a mask with magnets, i'm considering the DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask.

Thanks

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Masks with magnets and a pacemaker  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Personally, I think you need to ask your Cardiologist

bonjour
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Masks with magnets and a pacemaker  |  Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Pressure Setting: 11-25 PS 5 VAuto mode

From a sleeptech on another forum

I have been meaning to post about this for a while now. There have been a few masks come out over the last year or 2 with magnetic clips, such as the ResMed AiFit F20, The ResMed AirFit N20 and the Respironics DreamWear full face. The idea has its merits as it makes them much easier to use for people with reduced dexterity, however, it comes with a major caveat. If you have a pacemaker, defibrillator or other implanted device in your upper chest, neck or head area you must not use a mask with magnetic clips. The magnets in them can seriously interfere with the operation of your implanted device. There is a warning to this effect nestled deep in the instruction manual somewhere, but other than the the manufacturers do little to highlight this problem.

We had a patient who used one of these masks with a pacemaker and reported to us that, as every morning when he got up he felt really strange in the chest. we discovered that this was because, when he took off his mask, the magnetic strap would pass near his pacemaker and reset it to 120 beats per minute. Needless to say, we took that mask away from him and found an alternative. It can also interfere with hearing aids, cochlear implants and similar. If in doubt be cautious and do some research.

So be careful and spread the word.

I refuse to take the chance and get one. My wife is the one with a pacemaker

TheDuke
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Masks with magnets and a pacemaker  |  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 pm

I too have a pacemaker. I don't want anything to upset it. To be on the safe side I will avoid magnetic clip masks.

heDuke

TheDuke
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP Masks with magnets and a pacemaker  |  Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:18 pm

I have a pacemaker and have been instructed by my cardiologist NOT to use any sort of magnetic devices near my chest. Personally, I would never use any mask with magnetic fasteners.

TheDuke