Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Any more advice?
FAQ
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

aausten
Unread post  Post subject: Any more advice?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Quattro Air
PAP Machine: Resmed Autoset 10
Humidifier: Resmed Autoset 10
Pressure Setting: 10.6-18

Hi,

I've had advice on here previously which was very useful but I've had my APAP machine since July 2019 and still haven't reached a point where I'm consistently feeling more rested so wonder if there's any more advice.

I've got an appointment with a respiratory nurse to talk about my treatment soon and want to ask them about other reasons I could be waking up in the night as I still seem to have a lot of CA events that have a spike preceding them which I know means they are probably not genuine and being caused by something else. Being in the UK and at the mercy of the NHS though I'm not sure if they'll be able to help.

I recently bought a dehumidifier for my house as well to see if stabilising the humidity would help as the UK weather has been off and on wet and warm recently so quite big humidity swings, anyone had any success/effect with doing this?

Attached a screenshot of last night's Sleepyhead and also a zoomed in one on one of the "not" CA events. I know 2.59 is not high and the actual number is probably lower as some of the events could be dismissed but for me it seems even very small changes in AHI appear to affect me massively. My sleep nurse said this can be the case in some people?

Any advice gratefully received and thanks in advance,

Alistair

Attachments:
screenshot-20190313-171234.png
screenshot-20190313-171234.png [ 167.78 KiB | Viewed 660 times ]
screenshot-20190313-170952.png
screenshot-20190313-170952.png [ 176.39 KiB | Viewed 660 times ]
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Any more advice?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

aausten wrote:
APAP machine since July 2019

WELL, there's your problem, you got the machine in the future, and the time paradox is causing problems since you haven't caught up to that yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

aausten wrote:
Attached a screenshot of last night's Sleepyhead and also a zoomed in one on one of the "not" CA events. I know 2.59 is not high and the actual number is probably lower as some of the events could be dismissed but for me it seems even very small changes in AHI appear to affect me massively.

Definitely a post arousal central in that case.

I'd suggest bumping up your min pressure, and seeing if that will smooth things out a little, I'd try 12-20 on the pressure settings.

aausten
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Any more advice?  |  Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:18 am

Thanks diamaunt, I'll try the pressure setting changes suggested and yes I do have one of the new APAP/time machine hybrids :D

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Any more advice?  |  Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

I'd ask where I could get one, but I probably couldn't afford it yet/then. :)

aausten
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Any more advice?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:40 am

I've tried a minimum pressure of 12 for a few nights now and I'm not seeing any benefit yet.

Looking at my data in general 75% of my events are flagged as CA and a lot of them seem to be post arousal, however there are some that I'm not sure about, see screenshots from last night.

One thing I'm pretty sure of though is that whatever these events are the more I have of them the worse I feel the next day so I'm keen to understand what's causing them and reduce them.

I guess it's not necessarily a CPAP related question, if I'm being woken up by other factors, but has anyone experienced anything similar and how did you identify the cause? Maybe videoing myself during sleep would help?

Also is there a normal amount of this type of arousals that one would expect? Usually I go to bed, fall asleep immediately and don't remember anything until I wake in the morning.

Medication wise I take the following things: dymista nasal spray, loratadine, ranitidine plus 3g of glycine supplement before bed

Attachments:
screenshot-20190320-071656.png
screenshot-20190320-071656.png [ 157.76 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
screenshot-20190320-071631.png
screenshot-20190320-071631.png [ 154.03 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
screenshot-20190320-071556.png
screenshot-20190320-071556.png [ 154.7 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
screenshot-20190320-071538.png
screenshot-20190320-071538.png [ 156.92 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
screenshot-20190320-071352.png
screenshot-20190320-071352.png [ 153.45 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Any more advice?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:16 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

All those events look arousal related to me. Only exception for an iffy one would be the 03:54 event and the reason I can't tell as well is the scale isn't so great for optimal evaluation.

You may not remember waking up or the arousals but you are having them for some reason.
And figuring out what is causing them isn't always so easy.

Spontaneous arousals.....we don't know what causes them
or breathing related arousals obviously related to restricted airway stuff.
You might look at the air flow for the few minutes immediately prior to the arousal breathing to see if you spot anything there but there may not be anything exciting there to be seen.

To fix a problem you first have to identify the problem and that's not always so easy.

Medication side effects can mess with sleep quality and cause arousals.
Medication side effects can also greatly impact how we feel during the day.
loratadine
https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/loratadine
see the big list but these 3 stood out to me
Sleepiness
Tiredness

and this one because it can potentially mess with sleep and cause arousals..
An opposite reaction in which you feel excited, jittery, or nervous, known as paradoxical CNS stimulation instead of drowsy or sleepy

dymista ...see the big list
https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/dymista
but these stood out to me
Severe drowsiness
Extreme fatigue

ranitidine see the big list
https://www.drugs.com/ranitidine.html

but these stood out to me
drowsiness, dizziness
sleep problems (insomnia)

Are medication side effects messing with your sleep and how you feel????
Maybe.

aausten
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Any more advice?  |  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 am

Thanks Pugsy, I'm going to try and reduce/change my meds to see if it makes a difference.

Also made appointments with my sleep nurse, ENT and allergy clinic in the next few months so hopefully one of them will have some kind of idea but we'll see.