Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Lip Sputter - How to prevent?
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

RMFbipap
Unread post  Post subject: Lip Sputter - How to prevent?  |  Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:38 am

Hello I'm new to the forum and new to CPAP. Had sleep apnea surgery 15 years ago and problem went away until retested this year. I now have central sleep apnea. Doctor prescribed biPAP. Currently on a Dreamwear full face but want to change to nose pillow or nose mask because they are more comfortable. Tried the mouth guards from Century Martial Arts and chin strap BUT air still fills my mouth, leaks around the mouth guard and my lips sputter like a horse laugh. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
RMFbiPAP

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lip Sputter - How to prevent?  |  Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:14 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Tape your lips shut..

Otherwise you have to prevent the air from entering the mouth in the first place by keeping the back door from the mouth to the airway closed and that's not always so easy to do once we are asleep.

I can do it now but I can't tell you how to shut that back door because it's a reflex.
I can open my mouth...stick out my tongue...talk...all with the mask on and machine on and air going down my airway and no air at all enters the mouth to try to exit out the open lips..
Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly how I do it....but I am not alone...lots of people eventually learn that reflex action.
Wish I could market it...I would make a fortune quickly.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lip Sputter - How to prevent?  |  Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:16 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

If you really have Central Sleep Apnea, a bipap is not the machine to provide proper therapy. You would need an ASV

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lip Sputter - How to prevent?  |  Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:38 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

LSAT wrote:
If you really have Central Sleep Apnea, a bipap is not the machine to provide proper therapy. You would need an ASV

OP has never said what kind of "bipap" he has.

ASV is one type of bilevel/bipap device...so for all we know he might be using ASV...and there are other types besides ASV that will deal with centrals...as long as they have a back up rate available.
ASV just happens to be a bilevel with the ability to auto adjust for either centrals or obstructive apneas. The other models that deal with centrals are more fixed pressure bilevels with back up rates.

To the OP....bipap is a marketing term for a bilevel device generated by Respironics.
It has become sort of a generic term for any bilevel device but that's not technically correct.
ResMed calls their bilevel devices "AirCurve 10" with no mention as to "bipap" anywhere in the name...in the product description they do mention bilevel capabilities....so bilevel is the appropriate term when talking about these types of machines.
BiPap is really just a Respironics model term.

RMFbipap
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lip Sputter - How to prevent?  |  Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto. I assumed it was a biPAP since the pressure to exhale isn't as strong as the inhale. Since I had the throat surgery, my ability to shut the back door might not be possible. They removed my uvula and part of my soft palate since it was too long. Taping my lips doesn't sound like a good idea. If I vomit when I am asleep I could choke on it. Other suggestions? The face mask works but when I lay on my side or the pressure gets too high, the mask leaks at the lower corners.

Demmom
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lip Sputter - How to prevent?  |  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:12 am

PAP Mask: Resmed F20 Air Touch FFM with travel pillow
PAP Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Built in
Pressure Setting: 10 20

when I tried the tape I found that the application on my chin under my lips would keep my mouth closed and not cover my lips