Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap auto SV
FAQ
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

BigBrad
Unread post  Post subject: Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap auto SV  |  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:30 pm

My name is Brad. I have both central & Obstructive sleep apnea. I have a Dreamstation Auto SV machine. For the last few months my wife and I have been experiencing an awful lot of noise during the night. It has been so bad that my wife ends up going into the living room to sleep on the couch because the noise I make will not allow her to sleep!

I want to describe the noise as a “hissing” noise that seems to be emanating from the exhaust holes in my mask. But now that I think about it, it’s more like when you turn on a radio and set the tuner in between stations . . . and then turn up the volume! Static!

I have tried four different masks, Mirage FX, Mirage FX Wide, Quattro Air (full faced), and finally my favorite, Dreamwear. I kept thinking the problem was with the masks, but the results have all been the same! Now I am thinking that it must be the Dreamstation settings. But I do make room for the possibility that I may be wrong again. That’s why I decided to hunt you guys down and ask for help here. So here are my current settings:

Patient results:
1 day -Therapy hours: 7.7
7 days - 6.9
30 days - 7.3

AHI:
1 day - 13.8
7 days - 11.8
30 days - 10.7

Mask fit:
1 day - 99%
7 days - 97%
30 days - 99%

Periodic breathing:
1 day - 5%
7 days - 4%
30 days - 3%

Epap - 90% pressure
1 day - 8.0
7 days - 7.7
30 days - 7.9

Opti start - off
Max pressure - 16.5
Epap max - 8.0
Epap min - 6.0
PS max 6.0
PS min - 0.0
BPM - 14
Ti - 12

Humidification - adaptive
Humidifier - 4
Tube temperature - 3
Smart ramp - on
Ramp time - 20
Ramp start - 4
Flex - biflex
Flex setting - 3

Tube type - 15
Mask type - off
Mask type lock - off

If anybody can make sense of the above, I would appreciate your thoughts! Even if they are “educated guesses”! At this point I will try anything!

Thanks in advance for any responses,

BigBrad

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap aut  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Maybe you have a hole in the hose.

Ifeelwaybetter
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap aut  |  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 pm

PAP Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto
Humidifier: Adaptive, Heated Tube
Pressure Setting: 9.0 - 15.5

I run a white noise app on my ipad through the night. Works great as it is consistent noise that drowns out all other sounds.

britincanada
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap aut  |  Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:56 am

PAP Mask: Air Touch F20 Love that Memory Foam Game Changer
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP autoSV Advanced...900
Humidifier: With Heated Hose
Pressure Setting: 8.50 8.50 17.00 To Control the Centrals

I had a problem with my old machine being very loud and after i took it in twice it finally got replaced with a newer machine .
It turned out to be a warn-out pump in the unit ...

You can try to eliminate a few things check that the machines seals are in-place and not out of line .

Check the Humidifier is inserted correctly and secured .... Check the Hose for leakage / Check the mask

I had issues with the Quattro Air (full faced when i rolled over on to my sides the Quick connector would pop out on one sided making an air leak ...the machine would try to compensate by giving you max presser increasing the noise

The other thing to check is that you have a good mask seal and Hose in good condition .

My machine would try to compensate by giving me max presser that is when a small leak can turn into a bigger one maybe dial the max pressure down a bit .... that is what i did to start

.. My solution final SOLUTION was a new mask the Airtouch f20 with Memory Foam a game changer for me // A new machine / and keeping the machine slightly lower than the bed ie further away with A towel under it to stop any vibrations travelling through the table

Hope this Helps

BigBrad
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap aut  |  Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi Everybody!

I really appreciate the input from all!

I ended up going YouTube and found Jason's video on ASV settings, which were:

Pressure max = 25 (max ip ?)
e-pap max = 15
e-pap min = 6
pressure support min = 4
pressure support max = 19

Not sure about he top one. Jason said there was a max ip, but I don't have a setting like that, but I think it translates from pressure max to i-pap max.

But I still don't understand what BPM means . . . or ti? They are now at 0.0

Anybody know what those two settings mean and/or what those settings are supposed to be?

Anyway, with those settings, I could immediately see that It was MUCH easier to breathe! TONS more comfortable! THANK YOU JASON!

So for the first half of the night, my wife said things were VERY quiet . . . but around 5am I was suddenly making noise! So I haven't stopped investigating, but I'm thinking of getting my new Doctor (after I meet him) to give me a prescription for a RES MED Air Curve 10 ASV. They tell me that it's quieter than the Dream station. Does anybody have experience with one of those machines AND a Dream station? Can you tell me about your preference . . . and maybe even the reason why you have that preference?

Thanks a lot!

BigBrad

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap aut  |  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:23 am

PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Different machines have different settings.

Start with what *exact* machine you have, preferably the REF number off the label.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap aut  |  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

BPM is breaths per minute.

Go here and request a copy of the clinical/provider manual for your machine and it will explain all those settings.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual

Without known what the unacceptable noise might have been caused by...impossible to offer any ideas. If it was just machine motor noise one wouldn't think that you would go all night without it and then suddenly have it pop up to be annoying. Motor noise normally happens all night.

But...ResMed ASV is going to be a little more quiet than the DreamStation ASV...just a little in the motor noise department.

BigBrad
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for help with unacceptable noise from bi-pap aut  |  Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Everybody!

Many thanks to all! The issue I originally brought to this board has been FIXED! The problem is solved!

Jason's recommended settings in this youtube video "ASV Settings" is responsible for about 80% of the solution, and the remainder of the solution came from "Pugsy" who was great help when he gave me the definition of "BPM" (breaths per minute), which turned out to be of tremendous help!

I had a setting of 14 in the "BPM" category, and as soon as I changed it to "auto", it eased the whole "mask & machine" thing! I can't tell you guys enough just how important that "overlooked" setting is and how that one little thing can make such a difference!

Things are sure much easier now! I am so glad I came here!

I sought and received an owner's manual for my Dreamstation machine, directly from Phillips Respironics, and the "provider settings" are still intact! I have even turned those settings into a separate "pdf" file, for simple file transfers.

The owner's manuals (including the Humidifier manual) or the "Provider Settings" alone, will be sent via email to anybody that requests them, by emailing me at "b.w.crouch@gmail.com" (for free of course).

These owner's manuals are for my Dreamstation, which has the "REF number of DSX900 on the label on the bottom of the machine) the first six digits).

Thanks again everybody!

Gratefully,

BigBrad