Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Best Bi-Pap MAchine?
FAQ
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Rustang
Unread post  Post subject: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:12 am

Which Bi-pap machine is best?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:51 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

ResMed AirCurve 10

Rustang
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:44 am

Oh

Is the Res Med airsense 10 autoset a BiPAP also?
How are the two different?

I wanted something that would reduce pressure on the exhale to make breathing out easier

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:57 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

One is a CPAP and the other is a Bipap....Both will do that. Bipap more than the CPAP. Bipap is double the price of a CPAP.

Rustang
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:26 am

Interesting.
I just read the autoset adjusts the pressure to different stages of sleep, but it did not mention that it adjust quickly enough to ease off when you exhale?

I tested a standard ResMed before and felt like I was drowning when I try to Exhale

My sleep study is 6 - 8 years old and it only said mild sleep apnea. I feel much worse since then. Maybe even Central apnea.
Are the Lefty lanky sleep studies legit?
Has anyone tried one? tried one?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:35 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

You need to read up on ResMed exhale relief called EPR.
The AutoSet will let you use up to a 3 cm drop during exhale...and it essentially creates a bilevel situation when it uses EPR.
One pressure for inhale and another pressure for exhale and it's an immediate change.

Bilevel machines (bipap is actually a trademark Respironics term) will allow people to use more than 3 cm drop during exhale if they need a bigger drop to make it easier to exhale.

So you can still get a drop with the AutoSet but it's limited to 3 cm.
If you need more than 3 cm to be comfortable then you have to go to the bilevel model.

If you haven't tried EPR and if you have a ResMed machine...give it a try.
EPR at 3 might be enough to give you what you want or need to be comfortable.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:38 am

And yes.....Jason (LankyLefty) website and sleep studies are definitely legit. He's a sleep tech and he has a doctor that evaluates all his home sleep studies. He works in a sleep clinic/lab....and the home sleep study business goes through that lab. If I wanted or needed a home study....he would be the first person I would think of using.

Rustang
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:19 am

Thanks for all the info!
The one I trialled was not in autoset, and that was 6 years ago with my test.
I have very low confidence in my old test because they said it was mild, yet I was waking up throughout the night, heart pounding.

Does the study come with any kind of recommendation for which machine and pressures, or is all that trial-and-error

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:12 pm

A home study just to diagnosis sleep apnea won't come with any recommendation for machine or pressure because it would be impossible to know just from a sleep study without a person being attached to a machine.
Jason's Home sleep studies are for diagnosis only.

Now if someone had a predominance of central apnea and not obstructive apnea...might start talking about a different machine in that case but in general all the home sleep studies are designed to do is simply make the diagnosis and there's no way to advise actual therapy parameters.

Trial and error mainly as long as plain ordinary obstructive apnea with no complicating factors but it's not that difficult to get it sorted out.
It's not rocket science.

All the ResMed and Respironics machines offer some sort of exhale relief...so with ResMed EPR isn't limited to just the AutoSet...it's available on the fixed pressure models also.

Now the ResMed Bilevel machine...AirCurve 10 VAuto...or S models don't have EPR instead the exhale relief is accomplished by a feature that works like EPR but it's called something else. EPR isn't available on the bilevel models because it's essentially called something else (pressure support) but the end result is the same.

Rustang
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:31 pm

I have an airsense 10 autoset now

What are good starting settings?

variable pressure 4-20hg?
EPR on
Ramp on.
humidity on.

Anything else?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Best Bi-Pap MAchine?  |  Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:17 pm

4 to 20 doesn't let ramp really happen because ramp is supposed to start low and work up slowly to the prescribed pressure...it starts at 4 which is as low as the machine can go...if your setting is 4..the machine has no where to go to.
You also can't make use of EPR because EPR drops the pressure during exhale and if you are already at 4 cm there is no where to drop it to.

My suggestion...auto mode
Minimum 6
Maximum 20
EPR on and set to 2...see how you like it
EPR being on and using 4 cm...it can't do its thing so useless.
Ramp on only if you need it. With 6 inhale and 4 exhale (using EPR of 2) you shouldn't even need the ramp.
Humidity on...depends on if heated hose or not.
If heated hose...use the default auto settings...it works for most people that is why it is the default setting.
If no heated hose...use a middle of the road setting to start with.
You may or may not need or want more or less moisture but middle of the road is as good of a place to start as any. Often it works out well.

Believe it or not but most people will find 6 cm with EPR of 2 more comfortable to use than just straight 4 cm with nothing. Not to mention that often people feeling like they are suffocating at 4 cm..just not enough air moving. You won't suffocate but it sure feels like it and not comfortable at all.