Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Problem with apenas after one year of CPAP and BiPap use
FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:19 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Buschman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Problem with apenas after one year of CPAP and BiPap use  |  Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:26 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Full Face Mask
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10s
Pressure Setting: 9

Hey Pugsy Diamaunt etc:

I just got back from a trip to Mexico and thought I would give a status report. My AHI score is ranging from 3-8/hr, which for me is a miracle. While I wish I could have a 0 AHI score, it is clear that Pugsy's assessment is correct that, after getting me squared away at the best pressure setting, my AHI scores are almost entirely "false positives" and result from arousals due to other neurologiocal problems I have and my sleep apnea is totally under control. I am feeling so much better as I don't wake up in a fog state anymore! I must admit that if I take a sleep aid such as flexeril, valium, or even Benadryl (I try to switch around to make it so I am not dependent on any one of them), my AHI score seems the same or better, and I only wake up once to go to the bathroom instead of 3-4 times.

One other thing that I have discovered is when I am lazy and do not clean my nasal cushion on my mask every night, I get leaks, which are a pain in the butt. So it is worth spending 2 minutes of my life washing and drying my mask with warm water and soap, and sometimes use a dab of rubbing alcohol. I find I sometimes have to tighten my mask more than I would like, but it is better to have a tight clean mask to assure I have a leak free night!

But after a couple months of being steady at CPAP mode, 10 PSI setting I have no complaints! It is bizarre how we determined that the BiPap mode seemed to really screw me up, so I am staying away from that. As they say: "don't fix it if it ain't broken", so I am staying where I am with many thanks to this group! Richard

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Problem with apenas after one year of CPAP and BiPap use  |  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Glad to see you made it back from your trip down south safely.
Also glad to see that you are doing about as well as you can in terms of your sleep apnea issues.
The other sleep issues are what they are and sometimes just realizing it can have a calming effect. We realize that some stuff is simply beyond our control and that in itself removes stress. Stress comes with its own baggage.

I am still battling my own sleep demons...insomnia from known reasons beyond my control and insomnia from no known reasons and short hours of sleep. Finally caught up a bit last night and feel decent today.
Unfortunately the short nights out number the decent nights. Sigh.
It is what it is and at least I don't stress out over it.

My new project for the moment....my old fireplace that won't ever be used as it isn't safe. Cleaning things up, plugging the chimney and coming up with something that looks nice that doesn't cost a lot. Always on a budget.

Secondary project still in the planning stages...new kitchen counter and sink...but that's still in the baby stages of planning.

Buschman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Problem with apenas after one year of CPAP and BiPap use  |  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Hey Pugsy Thanks for the welcome back. As you say, realizing that my sleep apnea was finally being treated makes me not focus on my sleep nearly as much, even though I am not getting an "ideal" score (I am so jealous of all the people who complain when they have a AH! of 1.3 and think it is the end of the world). I know I will always have sleep issues, but thanks to you, we got my AHI score of 20 down to an average of 5, which is a BIG deal. I just wish my dr would have explained that there were other factors at play so I was not looking for a magic bullet of a 0 AHI every night. I was thinking my CPAP machine was broken! So it is all good!

I am sorry about your sleep issues. I hope you have a med you can take on occasion when the insomnia is too bad. How is the back pain, etc? You know how I feel about the government regulating pain meds on us old farts so we can't even get the meds we need to get through the night!

I am anxious to hear about all your home projects! I will PM or text you, so we don't muddy up the board with our "dirty laundry"!

But I do realize people read these posts and anyone who is having problems with their CPAP keep at it and work with the people on this site or contact LankyLefty to get the most you can out of CPAP therapy. Also recognize if you are still not feeling well you likely have another health issue involved. But also that there are so many possible false positives on your AHI score that as long as you are having a reasonably good score (like under 5) more than likely your sleep apnea is being controlled. Once I got to that point I started feeling better both physically and psychologically! Thanks again Pugsy!

Buschman
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Problem with apenas after one year of CPAP and BiPap use  |  Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:03 pm

Hey Everyone, and in particular Pugsy. I just wanted to say hi! I can't believe the number of views that has been garnered from my effort to get my sleep problem resolved (75,000!). I wish Lefty got a dollar for every view!

This site literally transformed my life, as when I logged on the first time and told my story I had no faith in CPAP therapy. Now I freak out if there is any chance that I might not have power since I am so dependent on my machine. Unfortunately this "disease" is not cured by a pill, and while the CPAP is a pain in the butt, it is the only treatment that finally resolved my sleep apnea. But it takes work, since getting used to a mask is not fun or easy, and in my case figuring out my proper settings took a virtuoso like Pugsy.

All I can say is for me it was well worth it: instead of being in a fog and malaise every day, I am largely alert and focused and rarely tired. I have my bad nights, but overall I cannot overstate the benefits of CPAP therapy after almost 6 months from starting my journey with this group. Maybe you will be lucky and the setting your dr. prescribes is right. But if you are reading this you probably are having problems and you will need the assistance of someone like Pugsy, who had to patiently reassure me that we would find an answer and then, with the patience of Job, painstakingly determined my dr. had not only had my pressure setting wrong, but also that I was one of the unusual cases that could not tolerate BiPap therapy. I am not blaming my dr. As I believe Diamaunt said early on, you have to take ownership of your disease, and by doing so, you can control your recovery.

You can spend an hour reading all of our posts and some of the comedy in between about Pugsy's "sheshed" but really all you need to do is cut to the chase: CPAP therapy works for the majority of sleep apnea sufferers and if you are not having success with your therapy, do not abandon your efforts but rather turn to a group like this one and figure out the answer to your problem. Many of the answers are in Lefty's excellent videos too. Both your long term health and your day to day enjoyment of life will be the beneficiaries!

From a grateful CPAP user, Richard

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Problem with apenas after one year of CPAP and BiPap use  |  Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:58 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Good to hear from you again and I am so happy that things are going well for you.

And yes....I did get sidetracked with the she shed stuff and anyone that knows me will realize it.
After all....all work and no play makes for a dull Pugsy.
I kind of enjoy it when I get so see some of people's individual personalities here. Makes this cpap stuff more human.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Problem with apenas after one year of CPAP and BiPap use  |  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:48 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Yup, good to know that you're doing much better.