Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Frustrated after 3 Months
FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:36 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

sspeak
Unread post  Post subject: Frustrated after 3 Months  |  Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:52 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit F30
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: Auto 7-17

Newer CPAP user for 3 1/2 months now. My sleep study AHI was 18 and with CPAP, I am down to 4-7 consistently. While the snoring is under control which makes my wife happy, the machine is loud enough to keep her awake as well. After 3 months I feel no benefits - still sleepy during the day. I am at the point where I don't feel like the therapy is providing much if any benefits with my baseline being somewhat low.

What am I missing here? Should I have different expectations or is the therapy not as big a benefit to me based on my sleep study? I'm ready to return the equipment and possibly try pillars.

I have 85% utilization in 90 days with 25% 6+ hours of usage. Happy to upload any data that might be useful. I do not have sleepyhead. Wasn't sure if it can still be downloaded?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated after 3 Months  |  Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:58 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

I'd feel like freshly laid dog poo if my AHI was 4, much less 7.

post some charts, adjust that thing, get your AHI to an acceptable range (under 2).

In the meantime, figure out what's wrong with your machine, since the airsense 10 machines are *very* quiet when operating properly, hard to hear in a quiet room.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated after 3 Months  |  Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:20 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

I agree ...Airsense 10 is the quietest machine on the market. Why haven't you downloaded Sleepyhead. If you want help you need to show some actual nightly data.

sspeak
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated after 3 Months  |  Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:05 pm

I mistakenly thought Sleepyhead was no longer available, but I've downloaded and attached a daily screenshot from 6/1. My settings were slightly different back then. I will look into the noise issue of the machine. For one thing it whistles where the hose connects to the machine. I was at ATS in Dallas last month and spoke to a Resmed Rep about this and he said that wasn't normal and so I have to try to contact my DME to have it looked at (not an easy task). I've not done anything about it yet since I was considering stopping therapy altogether.

I have not been diligent about having a card in the machine, but will make sure there is one from here on out. I also need to look into why MyAir reports a very different AHI than Sleepyhead shows.

I should mention that I have a history of sinusitis and have had to balloon procedures in the last 2 years. I still have a deviated septum which was corrected some but not fully. My medication is twice a day nasal rinse with budesonide/saline.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Attachments:
screenshot-20190609-205223.png
screenshot-20190609-205223.png [ 192.47 KiB | Viewed 3676 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated after 3 Months  |  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:29 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Is your hose a non heated hose (looks the same at both ends) or a heated hose (the ends have different connectors)?

Check the connections and hose at the machine end.
You've got a consistent baseline leak that isn't quite normal to see and a leak or hole in the hose could cause that baseline leak and the whistling noise. Might have a small tear in the hose or small hole.
Try a different hose if you can...

sspeak
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated after 3 Months  |  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:11 pm

I have the climate air heated hose which was just replaced about 2 weeks ago with no change in the "whistling" which primarily occurs on inhale.

When I take the mask off the hose and block the end of the hose, I can hear air coming out of the machine somewhere but can't quit pinpoint the location. My wife has a Dreamstation and it is much quieter than my Resmed and so I do think something is wrong with it. I'm taking it to the DME this evening and will report back.

sspeak
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated after 3 Months  |  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Update: Took my device to DME and they listened and said the noise is normal. When I mentioned there was a baseline leak in the data, they said they'd call the manufacturer's rep and get back to me.

PaulyofPA
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Frustrated after 3 Months  |  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:48 am

PAP Mask: dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Dream station
Humidifier: Dream station heated W heated hose
Pressure Setting: 10

no expert here, but 25% 6+ hours sleep usage. Maybe you need to sleep more?