Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Adjust/adapt headgear
FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:30 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:01 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit F30
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex PRS1 560
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System One Heated Humidifier, with Heated Hose
Pressure Setting: APAP 14-18

I was fitted with the F&P full face mask when I started CPAP in 2015 and it leaked like crazy unless I tightened it so much that I had a constant blister on my nose. Using mask liners helped with the leaks, and a system of foam bandaids (generic Rite-Aid brand) over my nose helped with the sores. I’m a mouth breather due to deviated septum, so I can’t use anything that holds my mouth closed. I tried the Amara View and it leaked so much I gave up on it after one night.

A couple of weeks ago I was ordering some filters from Apria and the rep asked me if I had tried the Resmed Airfit F30. She said it’s their most popular mask and so she sent me a starter kit to try out. I love that mask. It’s much more comfortable because it doesn’t squeeze my mouth and cheeks. I still use the liners and bandaids but my OSCAR charts are better than they’ve ever been. (My wife says it looks like a fuzzy black caterpillar.)

But here’s my problem: the headgear that came with the new mask doesn’t have an adjustment on top of my head like the Simplus has. I have a long face, so it feels tight to me. I read somewhere that someone adapted their Simplus headgear to work with the Airfit mask, but I can’t see how that’s possible. Does anyone have any ideas?

Photo shows the Simplus on the left and the Airfit on the right.

Attachments:
B88435F5-78CC-45D8-9B9B-39F91180C3A8.jpeg
B88435F5-78CC-45D8-9B9B-39F91180C3A8.jpeg [ 3.62 MiB | Viewed 116 times ]
SkinnyFemale
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:23 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal Cushion
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: Currently pressure 7 to 12

If someone in your family sews they could stitch a strip where needed to extend it. Not that complicated for a seamstress.

Also I am a mouth breather and thought I needed the full face mask and they all leaked and were intolerable, including the F30. Turned out my dreamwear nasal cushion works perfectly and I don't have that terrible tight feeling you described. It fits under my nose (not even in my nostrils), one strap around the back of my head, and the tube attaches at the top of the head. It is so much more comfortable. Get great numbers even with my mouth opening. But you can get a wedge type pillow (Dr Dakota I think), to place under your chin or a chin strap which is still not as bad, if the mouth is a problem. I am a back sleeper anyhow. For me it is the perfect solution.
Worth a try even with deviated septum cause you might still get enough air and be a lot more comfortable. Good luck! It is a journey!

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 am

@SkinnyFemale Thanks for your reply. My wife and I talked about that. I just don’t want to ruin a headgear in case it doesn’t work, but nothing ventured/nothing gained. I have an old Simplus headgear I no longer use so maybe we’ll cut that one up and sew the top adjustable strap into the Airfit headgear.

I haven’t tried any of the Dreamwear masks. Their FF mask looks like the Amara View, which I did try and it leaked horribly. I wish I could make that work because the pressure sore on my nose never gets the chance to heal. I’ll see if I can get one to try anyway.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:54 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

The DreamWear full face mask is a highly improved version of the Amara View. So while it looks similar....don't be too quick to discount it because of the poor performance of the Amara View.

I have tried both of them....the DreamWear IMHO is 1000% easier to seal and keep sealed and more comfortable.
You might not like it but I think it is worth looking at. It's really nothing like the Amara View other than a little bit of shape.

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:40 am

@Pugsy Thanks for your input. I will call Apria and request a sample.

Rich

Cbell54
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:54 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear full face mask
PAP Machine: ResMed 10
Humidifier: ResMed
Pressure Setting: 8

I’m using the Dream wear full face mask. First of all to get a seal it has to be on tight enough that it feels like someone is taking their hand and pushing my nose up into my brain. Headaches every morning. Gasping and waking up not able to breathe. Nose super dry even with humidity turned up all the way. I don’t want to quit but for a 10 year sleep deprived person being afraid to go to sleep isn’t a lot of fun. I know I am just starting out but I had high hopes that at some point this would help me feel better. Not worse. Oh yeah. Just got diagnosed with very mild copd and was never ever short of breath. Now I am short of breath all day every day. Any suggestions?

SkinnyFemale
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:04 am

Dreamwear nasal cushion-minimal torture and very effective, none of those horrible feelings once I got it. Tried at least 4 full face masks and some nasal- hated every one- def worth a try. Nose and mouth feel dry when I wake up but I rinse mouth and use moisturizer for lips and nostrils, then back to sleep. Have a big bag of stuff I will never use, but at least I am comfortable now. Everyone is different. Good luck

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:14 am

@Cbell54 Welcome to the board!

I don’t have COPD, but there are many members here who do. You’ll get more replies if you start your own topic...your question may be overlooked by those not interested in my subject line.

The search function works well enough if you want to zoom in to threads re your specific issues, so that’s a pretty good place to start.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:08 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I have used the DreamWear full face mask....I gave it a week long trial to see how I could handle it in the event I couldn't use my primary nasal pillow mask.
I didn't have to have it very tight at all for it to seal and be comfortable.
Old review thread here.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3873&hilit=DreamWear+FFM+review

Jason did a video review on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUwIa3xnsDQ

If Cbell54 is having such difficulties and it's causing headaches....something is wrong with the sizing or fitting or it simply isn't suitable for his/her face.

SkinnyFemale
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:52 pm

FF masks felt like my head was in a vice grip, then still leaked. An awful feeling so I hear the comments about straps being too tight.

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Adjust/adapt headgear  |  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Quote:
FF masks felt like my head was in a vice grip, then still leaked. An awful feeling so I hear the comments about straps being too tight.

And that’s why I wanted the Airfit F30 to work. It doesn’t squeeze my cheeks like Simplus FFM does.