Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - New to CPAP and trying to find the perfect mask
FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:35 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

brounmoney
Unread post  Post subject: New to CPAP and trying to find the perfect mask  |  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:42 am

Hi everyone, first time on the forum. Have been watching all the Lanky Lefty video, and as well as been funny they are super informative. So I got a CPAP machine (Philip Dreamstation) about 3 weeks ago. My doctor did 2 sleep studies and the second was just fittings for masks. I am a mouth breather, so he recommended a ffm. He gave me the Resmed F20. That mask has yet to give me a good fit. I tried for the first week to get the leaks out and get good sleep. Nothing was helping. My dad has sleep apnea as well and has had a CPAP machine for years. He gave me one of his unopened nose pillows by Resmed. Don't know the model of that one. I used it for a week, and never loved it. Being a mouth breather, it never worked. So back to the drawing board I found this forum and Lefty's channel. I saw that Resmed made a mask attachment for the f20 with memory foam in the airtouch. I picked that up yesterday from amazon for a great price. On top of that I bought the Dreamwear FFM to try. Saw lots of good reviews and thought it might be the answer. My Doc thought I was not wearing the F20 correctly, but when he showed me yesterday it was about the same fit I was getting. So on to trying new things.

So I got the Dreamwear kit with all the mask sizes. Spent yesterday afternoon testing them out trying to find my size. Based on the chart, I should be between a med and lg. Really close on the lg. Last night I tried the med, and made it about an hour until the leaks were unbearable. Took it off and tired the F20 with the new airtouch on it. Got to sleep and felt good, but in my sleep I took it off 3 times and was woken up by snoring. Looking for some advice on giving the Dreamwear another try. The lg size comes out just a little longer than my nose, so I thought maybe it was too big but now I am thinking maybe give it a try. Maybe that's my fit, in testing it just has some side small leaks. Is that something I will just have to live with? Never getting out all the leaks. With that said, any advice would be great. With taking the F20 off during the night, is this just me trying to get use to it, or is there another issue?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

PaulyofPA
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to CPAP and trying to find the perfect mask  |  Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 am

PAP Mask: dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Dream station
Humidifier: Dream station heated W heated hose
Pressure Setting: 10

Keep trying until you find what works for you. I thought I was a mouth breather. but after being on cpap with humidifier I no longer woke with stuffy nose, went to dreamwear nasal and working beautifully. the size charts are a guide, but you have to try and see what works for you.

brounmoney
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to CPAP and trying to find the perfect mask  |  Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks! Yeah this finding the perfect mask thing is becoming very troublesome. Hopefully I can get it squared away. I tried the nose pillow while using a humidifier with a no go. I think the full face mask is what I have to use.

Becca8104
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to CPAP and trying to find the perfect mask  |  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:42 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed N30i
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 APAP
Humidifier: The water tank that comes with the Airsense 10
Pressure Setting: 05-14

I have tried just about every mask, both full face & nasal/pillow. My best fitting full face was the Resmed F30. Did not leak, did not need liners. I have tried the F20, but didn't like my nose covered & it leaked, Phillips Dreamwear FF, (leaked & made farty noises), Dreamwear nasal (leaked, even the small cushion), & Dreamwear nasal pillows (hurt my nostrils). I could have stayed with the F30, but preferred the hose on top of my head as I kept getting tangled/strangled with the masks that had the hose on the nose. With a chin strap, I can make a nasal mask work for me, so I have recently chosen the N30i. I did watch Lanky Lefty's review on the N30i & was nervous about trying it, but glad I did. The hard plastic on the cushion is not even felt, even when I sleep on my side. I use a small frame & small cushion. Best mask I have ever used. Maybe it is best for women instead of men, but I am sure men use this mask as well with success. Everybody's face is different. My face likes it just fine. It is a keeper & glad my search is over. I use a Ruby style chin strap which has been the best chin strap for me. Resmed has also come out with a new nasal mask N30. that is one you could try as well. Good luck on your search for YOUR perfect mask

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to CPAP and trying to find the perfect mask  |  Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:12 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I was a mouth breather when I started therapy. Every FFM leaks around my chin or cheeks or both. I trained myself to sleep with my mouth closed under normal circumstances. When I am EXTREMELY tired, or the air quality is terrible and my allergies act up, I will go to bed with my FFM on because I absolutely know that I will be mouth breathing. After a few hours I can switch to my nasal pillows without a problem because my heated humidity has eased my nasal passages open and even with the FFM I was breathing through my nose.

So the FFM that works the best for me is the DreamWear FFM. It does leak, sometimes a lot, I use a headband that has the little grippy silicone squiggles that is designed to hold it to your hair without slipping. I put that grippy part underneath the air vents around the magnetic clips to keep pressure against the areas of the mask that leaks. That works really well for me, but it does tend to push the mask up against my nose and I wake up with a sore nose, but that goes away after a little while and I don't wear the FFM every night, so it is something I am willing to deal with because I do get really restful sleep when I wear it.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

SprManKalEl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to CPAP and trying to find the perfect mask  |  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:27 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed P30i
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: The one in my machine

My doctor gave me the ResMed F30 as a sample. It is a hybrid. It goes under your nose similar to the pillow mask but also covers your mouth. It didn't work too well for me but maybe the hybrid type mask is worth a shot.