Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Alcohol & Sleep
FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:48 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

bednbones
Unread post  Post subject: Alcohol & Sleep  |  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:59 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear full mask or nasal pillow
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics Dreamstation
Humidifier: dreamstation humidifier
Pressure Setting: 8-10

So I have never been much of a drinker - social, usually outside the home, maybe 2 drinks a month. I've had ten years where I never had a drink. Lately, I have been having a drink before bed if I felt like I am going to have trouble going to sleep (2-3 x a week). I do fall asleep very quickly after a small amount of alcohol. I have tried red wine, white wine, a margarita and even a shot of vodka with some mixer. Anyone else have any experience with alcohol helping the cpap anxiety? I'm not a CBD person. Tried it and it was NOT for me.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Alcohol & Sleep  |  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:39 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Alcohol isn't something that I would use. It's extremely disruptive to sleep stage progression. Usually it inhibits or severely delays REM sleep. It also makes Apnea worse.

I'd really recommend Melatonin, or if you want to go really hardcore...warm milk.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

bednbones
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Alcohol & Sleep  |  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 am

Yes, after I read what I wrote, I thought ... is this what I have come to ... using alcohol. Sheesh. I new I was a mess but this seemed like the bottom of the barrel and I could see how this could end up being a pattern.

After 5 months and trying every setting, humidification, non, distilled water, filtered water, heat, no heat, meds for allergies (which I haven't had for over 5 years), nettie pot, nasal sprays, etc. I have tapped out.

I had severe apnea according to my doctor but besides being tired, I was in great health. After 5 months on CPAP, i have severe headaches EVERY day ALL day, pressure in my chest, clogged sinuses all the time, nose bleeds, ear bleed, and the newest was problems with my gut health which I have never had and more meds were given to me to help that and I had to say NO.

I stopped using my CPAP last week. My headaches are almost gone, the pressure is gone, my nose is clear with no allergies or medication needed and I feel happy at work and home again.

I believe my ranch air quality of animals, plants, etc being forced into me was making me sick, very sick. If I ever go stay in a hotel or another area, I will bring my cpap and use it. We plan on selling the ranch in the next year or 2 and I will try again later. It just didn't work for me. I was getting sick rather than feeling better.

Very sad. But I love this community and thank you for all the responses and help.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Alcohol & Sleep  |  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

> I believe my ranch air quality of animals, plants, etc being forced into me was making me sick, very sick

Only, your machine doesn't force air into you. it provides a very gentle amount of pressure to hold your airway open... filtered air at that, so that you can breathe.

It's not even enough pressure to blow up a balloon, or blow bubbles in a tall glass of water.

I'm sad to hear that you're giving up.

bednbones
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Alcohol & Sleep  |  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Well, when your nose is constantly plugged, its a lot of pressure which does bad to things to your body, or at least to mine. I will miss the deep sleep but not enough to be sick everyday.

I will try again in the future.

dantrax
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Alcohol & Sleep  |  Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:36 pm

So you're saying I should remove the Vodka from my reservoir? Only kidding. Sometimes a change of scenery and environment can help. Can you leave your bedroom window cracked open? That might help with the indoor air. Even if it's just a mental placebo. I hope you can figure out the necessary settings for your CPAP machine so you can get a good night's sleep. I only had 20 events an hour but this ResMed Airsense 10 helped me feel more rested and sharper in the morning. It's made a good difference for me. Plus my snoring was very noisy. Good Luck with your therapy.