Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - AHI and Pressure Settings
FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:57 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

beffie48
Unread post  Post subject: AHI and Pressure Settings  |  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:00 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal cushion
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 for her
Pressure Setting: 5 to 6.8

Hi,
I have a ResMed for her Airsense 10. I have been using it for about 17 days. My machine was initially set to min 5 - max 20. I found this very uncomfortable. I was also having some mouth breathing issues (cured with tape). After watching a sleepy head video on adjusting the pressure I changed my min pressure to 5 and Max to 5 and have been increasing the max pressure each day by .2. My AHI is now hovering around .3 to .5 each day. and my max pressure is up to 6.8. Just wondering if I should stop increasing the pressure and what is the goal for the AHI level?

Beth

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI and Pressure Settings  |  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:24 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

How are you sleeping and feeling?
What is the breakdown of that AHI?
With that low of an AHI (perfectly acceptable as it is now) I know you aren't having very many apnea events.
If sleeping great and feeling great...I don't know that you need any more max.

Using OSCAR/SleepyHead??? It will show Flow Limitations that might impact sleep quality and it might show a need for more pressure...and again it might not.

beffie48
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI and Pressure Settings  |  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:56 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal cushion
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 for her
Pressure Setting: 5 to 6.8

I'm feeling pretty good. Sleeping well and my husband says I don't snore anymore. I originally was tested for Apnea because I was hospitalized with Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome. None of my doctors were able to pinpoint a cause but one did suggest sleep apena as a possible cause. The sleep test showed Moderate Apnea with an average of 15 events per hour. I'm 59 and have always been in good health and never been hospitalized before.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: AHI and Pressure Settings  |  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:59 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Well there's more to treating sleep apnea than just the AHI but how you sleep and feel are primary indicators of potential issues if you don't feel the nice low AHI.

If you were thinking you needed an AHI of 0.0...don't go there. It's not needed and an unrealistic goal. Less than 1.0 is pretty darn good as it is.

If you want to dig deeper using available free software you can but I don't see an urgent need to do that since you are feeling and sleeping good.
If you ever get curious
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software
or OSCAR which is based off SleepyHead and is the latest available.
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/