Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - A month and a half on CPAP and I don't feel any different
FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:57 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

rehenderson86
Unread post  Post subject: A month and a half on CPAP and I don't feel any different  |  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Hello to everyone on the form and to Lefty,

I found the forum through your YouTube videos and I love the channel, please keep the videos and information coming. A quick history on me, for years had elevated red blood cells in my body but as I have gotten older (currently 33) the red blood cells have consistently continued to go up over time. At first my PCP thought it might be a rare blood cancer called polycythemia. I spent the first half of this year going to the oncologist and after lots of testing the doctor was able to rule out polycythemia and any cancers. While that was good news I still had elevated red blood cells and over time my red blood cells risk of becoming thick in my blood stream and could cause a heart attack or stroke. Even though I was totally asymptomatic my PCP ordered a at home sleep test and I was DX with mild OSA with a AHI of 8.5. While my AHI was not too high my SPO2 dropped down to 83% during the test. I am a Firefighter/EMT and a O2 Sat of 83 really got my attention. It scared me so I agreed to try a CPAP machine. On top of helping bring my SPO2 up at night my PCP is also hoping the CPAP will help decrease my red blood cell count. I have been on the CPAP for about a month and a half now and I still do not feel any different. I know the machine is helping with my breathing and is increasing my SPO2 when I sleep and is helping to prevent future medical problems, but I do not feel any different physically or mentally after being on the machine. I feel awake, full of energy and mentally sharp just like I did before going on CPAP.

Being asymptomatic is this common not to feel any better after being on CPAP or have I not given the machine enough time to work?

Thanks

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: A month and a half on CPAP and I don't feel any differen  |  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:19 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

rehenderson86 wrote:

I found the forum through your YouTube videos and I love the channel, please keep the videos and information coming. A quick history on me, for years had elevated red blood cells in my body but as I have gotten older (currently 33) the red blood cells have consistently continued to go up over time. At first my PCP thought it might be a rare blood cancer called polycythemia. I spent the first half of this year going to the oncologist and after lots of testing the doctor was able to rule out polycythemia and any cancers. While that was good news I still had elevated red blood cells and over time my red blood cells risk of becoming thick in my blood stream and could cause a heart attack or stroke. Even though I was totally asymptomatic my PCP ordered a at home sleep test and I was DX with mild OSA with a AHI of 8.5. While my AHI was not too high my SPO2 dropped down to 83% during the test. I am a Firefighter/EMT and a O2 Sat of 83 really got my attention. It scared me so I agreed to try a CPAP machine. On top of helping bring my SPO2 up at night my PCP is also hoping the CPAP will help decrease my red blood cell count. I have been on the CPAP for about a month and a half now and I still do not feel any different. I know the machine is helping with my breathing and is increasing my SPO2 when I sleep and is helping to prevent future medical problems, but I do not feel any different physically or mentally after being on the machine. I feel awake, full of energy and mentally sharp just like I did before going on CPAP.

Being asymptomatic is this common not to feel any better after being on CPAP or have I not given the machine enough time to work?

Thanks

YOU ARE FULL OF ENERGY..MENTALLY SHARP... What else are you expecting?

rehenderson86
Unread post  Post subject: Re: A month and a half on CPAP and I don't feel any differen  |  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:59 pm

LSAT wrote:
rehenderson86 wrote:

Thanks

YOU ARE FULL OF ENERGY..MENTALLY SHARP... What else are you expecting?

There are actually a few questions I am asking here. Is being asymptomatic normal? What can I expect from being a asymptomatic CPAP patient, other than the stated advantages to using the CPAP is there anything else I could expect from using the CPAP? I don't know what they would be, that's why I'm asking. Increase metabolism? changes to my appetite? Increased stamina when working out? Would CPAP actually drop my red blood cell count? It's not always about what's going on at the surface but what's happening to my body that I may not notice or be aware of

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: A month and a half on CPAP and I don't feel any differen  |  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:05 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I don't know if using cpap will help with the red blood cell count. That's a question to for sure ask your doctor. While we have had a handful of patients here on the forum with the red count issue...their OSA was a lot worse than yours and I don't know if they ever stated if it helped or not.

As for your other questions....I doubt it will cause any changes in appetite or stamina or energy. It won't make you into superman.
It doesn't work that way....unfortunately though I wouldn't mind being superwoman myself.

Historically patients without any of the usual OSA symptoms and with a very mild diagnostic AHI don't see much of a change in anything if they don't have any of the usual symptoms. Not much needs fixing.