Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Oscar horrors
FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:38 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!



Author Message
wz88
Unread post  Post subject: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:36 pm
Posts: 2
PAP Mask: Airfit F20
PAP Machine: DreamStation
Humidifier: built in
Pressure Setting: 13-14

Offline
Greetings all.

Been living with severe apnea for years. My initial AHI was 87. I struggled with mask type and arrived at full face and a double mouth guard. Any advice on the past couple nights would be appreciated.


Attachments:
screenshot-20191213-182511.png
screenshot-20191213-182511.png [ 157.66 KiB | Viewed 2763 times ]
screenshot-20191213-182458.png
screenshot-20191213-182458.png [ 157.17 KiB | Viewed 2763 times ]
screenshot-20191213-182446.png
screenshot-20191213-182446.png [ 153.24 KiB | Viewed 2763 times ]
Top
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:50 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 am
Posts: 2568
Location: Dallas(ish)
PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Offline
Those are terrible.

Step one, set your machine pressures min 12, max 20, and let's see what happens.

_________________
Sleepyhead Info
How to format your charts


Top
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:36 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
Posts: 1934
PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Offline
How's your overall sleep quality? Do you spend much time awake with the mask and machine on?

_________________
I may have to rise but I refuse to shine.


Top
wz88
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:04 am

Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:36 pm
Posts: 2
PAP Mask: Airfit F20
PAP Machine: DreamStation
Humidifier: built in
Pressure Setting: 13-14

Offline
I feel like it's better than it was. I don't wake up in a sweat 10 times a night? Also not as groggy. Mouth breathing is a problem. It sometimes breaks the seal on the bottom of the F20.


Top
audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:21 am

Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 92
PAP Mask: F10 Full Face
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Heated hose Resmed
Pressure Setting: 10-16

Offline
Your 95% leak rate seems extremely high. Like the mask is barely even on your face.


Top
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:33 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 am
Posts: 2568
Location: Dallas(ish)
PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Offline
audihere wrote:
Your 95% leak rate seems extremely high. Like the mask is barely even on your face.

No, no it's not.

A prime example of how meaningless the 95% number is.

Look at the *chart*.

_________________
Sleepyhead Info
How to format your charts


Top
audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 92
PAP Mask: F10 Full Face
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Heated hose Resmed
Pressure Setting: 10-16

Offline
diamaunt wrote:
audihere wrote:
Your 95% leak rate seems extremely high. Like the mask is barely even on your face.

No, no it's not.

A prime example of how meaningless the 95% number is.

Look at the *chart*.


I looked at the *chart*. Leak rate looks like mask is barely on his face. Just glancing at it looks like 53.3 Leak Rate across the night on average. 66 is showing as the 95%. Looks plausible.

Checked a random OSCAR night for me and mine shows Leak Rate data of Min 0.00, Med 0.00, 95% 1.20, Max 2.40. Other nights my 95% Leak Rate is 0.00.


Top
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
Posts: 1934
PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Offline
audihere wrote:
looked at the *chart*. Leak rate looks like mask is barely on his face. Just glancing at it looks like 53.3 Leak Rate across the night on average. 66 is showing as the 95%. Looks plausible.

Checked a random OSCAR night for me and mine shows Leak Rate data of Min 0.00, Med 0.00, 95% 1.20, Max 2.40. Other nights my 95% Leak Rate is 0.00.


You are using a ResMed machine....the OP here is using a Respironics machine.
The leak rate is reported differently by each brand and you can't compare the numbers since they don't represent the same thing.

53 L/min would be horribly high for you but for a Respironics user it's not all that large.
Large leak for you is 24 L/min excess only leak...but since Respironics reports total leak which is the excess leak plus the vent rate 53 L/min isn't horribly high.
Large leak is probably up around 90 L/min total leak for a Respironics user at this pressure.
OP is having some periods of large leak which are clearly shown by the gray area...but it's not horribly prolonged.

You can't compare your number to his....apples and oranges.

Respironics users will never have nice low leak numbers like yours even if they had zero excess leak. Impossible because of the vent rate and all masks have vent rates.
Including yours but your machine removes the vent rate before posting leak numbers.

_________________
I may have to rise but I refuse to shine.


Top
audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03 am

Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 92
PAP Mask: F10 Full Face
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Heated hose Resmed
Pressure Setting: 10-16

Offline
Pugsy wrote:
audihere wrote:
looked at the *chart*. Leak rate looks like mask is barely on his face. Just glancing at it looks like 53.3 Leak Rate across the night on average. 66 is showing as the 95%. Looks plausible.

Checked a random OSCAR night for me and mine shows Leak Rate data of Min 0.00, Med 0.00, 95% 1.20, Max 2.40. Other nights my 95% Leak Rate is 0.00.


You are using a ResMed machine....the OP here is using a Respironics machine.
The leak rate is reported differently by each brand and you can't compare the numbers since they don't represent the same thing.

53 L/min would be horribly high for you but for a Respironics user it's not all that large.
Large leak for you is 24 L/min excess only leak...but since Respironics reports total leak which is the excess leak plus the vent rate 53 L/min isn't horribly high.
Large leak is probably up around 90 L/min total leak for a Respironics user at this pressure.
OP is having some periods of large leak which are clearly shown by the gray area...but it's not horribly prolonged.

You can't compare your number to his....apples and oranges.

Respironics users will never have nice low leak numbers like yours even if they had zero excess leak. Impossible because of the vent rate and all masks have vent rates.
Including yours but your machine removes the vent rate before posting leak numbers.


Thank you, that was an excellent explanation of how two brands of machines report the leak rate differently. Resmed appears to be helping the end user by subtracting out the base leak rate of the mask's vent rate, rather than confusing them by adding it in and then having to somehow differentiate what your actual seal leak rate is.


Top
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
Posts: 1934
PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Offline
Well.....ResMed is the only brand manufacturer that reports excess leak only. All the others report total leak which isn't all that confusing if someone will just watch for machine flagged large leaks and there is zero need to do any calculations of any sort manually.
If the machine doesn't flag a large leak event....then it didn't happen.

Why ResMed chose to go this way with the leak report....I don't know but I am pretty sure it wasn't to help out patients. They have never been known to do anything to directly help the patient.
They consider the DME or doctors their real customers and everything they do is designed with the DME or doctor in mind.

_________________
I may have to rise but I refuse to shine.


Top
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:06 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 am
Posts: 2568
Location: Dallas(ish)
PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Offline
audihere wrote:
diamaunt wrote:
audihere wrote:
Your 95% leak rate seems extremely high. Like the mask is barely even on your face.

No, no it's not.

A prime example of how meaningless the 95% number is.

Look at the *chart*.


I looked at the *chart*. Leak rate looks like mask is barely on his face. Just glancing at it looks like 53.3 Leak Rate across the night on average. 66 is showing as the 95%. Looks plausible.

Checked a random OSCAR night for me and mine shows Leak Rate data of Min 0.00, Med 0.00, 95% 1.20, Max 2.40. Other nights my 95% Leak Rate is 0.00.

Nope, The OP's leak rate is just fine.

_________________
Sleepyhead Info
How to format your charts


Top
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:08 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 am
Posts: 2568
Location: Dallas(ish)
PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Offline
audihere wrote:
Resmed appears to be helping the end user by subtracting out the base leak rate of the mask's vent rate, rather than confusing them by adding it in and then having to somehow differentiate what your actual seal leak rate is.

Resmed is just the only ones with enough smarts in their machine to calculate the mask's vent rate, which varies with pressure, and calculate the excess leak.

Others just report the complete flow through the machine, which is dead simple to do.

_________________
Sleepyhead Info
How to format your charts


Top
audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:21 am

Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 92
PAP Mask: F10 Full Face
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Heated hose Resmed
Pressure Setting: 10-16

Offline
diamaunt wrote:
audihere wrote:
Resmed appears to be helping the end user by subtracting out the base leak rate of the mask's vent rate, rather than confusing them by adding it in and then having to somehow differentiate what your actual seal leak rate is.

Resmed is just the only ones with enough smarts in their machine to calculate the mask's vent rate, which varies with pressure, and calculate the excess leak.

Others just report the complete flow through the machine, which is dead simple to do.


That makes a lot of sense.


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: wuhuilin11 and 13 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  


Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
DAJ Glass 2 template created by Dustin Baccetti
id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8">