Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Oscar horrors
FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:38 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

wz88
Unread post  Post subject: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:50 pm

PAP Mask: Airfit F20
PAP Machine: DreamStation
Humidifier: built in
Pressure Setting: 13-14

Greetings all.

Been living with severe apnea for years. My initial AHI was 87. I struggled with mask type and arrived at full face and a double mouth guard. Any advice on the past couple nights would be appreciated.

Attachments:
screenshot-20191213-182511.png
screenshot-20191213-182511.png [ 157.66 KiB | Viewed 2763 times ]
screenshot-20191213-182458.png
screenshot-20191213-182458.png [ 157.17 KiB | Viewed 2763 times ]
screenshot-20191213-182446.png
screenshot-20191213-182446.png [ 153.24 KiB | Viewed 2763 times ]
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:50 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Those are terrible.

Step one, set your machine pressures min 12, max 20, and let's see what happens.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:36 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

How's your overall sleep quality? Do you spend much time awake with the mask and machine on?

wz88
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:04 am

PAP Mask: Airfit F20
PAP Machine: DreamStation
Humidifier: built in
Pressure Setting: 13-14

I feel like it's better than it was. I don't wake up in a sweat 10 times a night? Also not as groggy. Mouth breathing is a problem. It sometimes breaks the seal on the bottom of the F20.

audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:21 am

PAP Mask: F10 Full Face
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Heated hose Resmed
Pressure Setting: 10-16

Your 95% leak rate seems extremely high. Like the mask is barely even on your face.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:33 pm

audihere wrote:
Your 95% leak rate seems extremely high. Like the mask is barely even on your face.

No, no it's not.

A prime example of how meaningless the 95% number is.

Look at the *chart*.

audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 pm

diamaunt wrote:
audihere wrote:

No, no it's not.

Look at the *chart*.

I looked at the *chart*. Leak rate looks like mask is barely on his face. Just glancing at it looks like 53.3 Leak Rate across the night on average. 66 is showing as the 95%. Looks plausible.

Checked a random OSCAR night for me and mine shows Leak Rate data of Min 0.00, Med 0.00, 95% 1.20, Max 2.40. Other nights my 95% Leak Rate is 0.00.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 pm

audihere wrote:
looked at the *chart*. Leak rate looks like mask is barely on his face. Just glancing at it looks like 53.3 Leak Rate across the night on average. 66 is showing as the 95%. Looks plausible.

Checked a random OSCAR night for me and mine shows Leak Rate data of Min 0.00, Med 0.00, 95% 1.20, Max 2.40. Other nights my 95% Leak Rate is 0.00.

You are using a ResMed machine....the OP here is using a Respironics machine.
The leak rate is reported differently by each brand and you can't compare the numbers since they don't represent the same thing.

53 L/min would be horribly high for you but for a Respironics user it's not all that large.
Large leak for you is 24 L/min excess only leak...but since Respironics reports total leak which is the excess leak plus the vent rate 53 L/min isn't horribly high.
Large leak is probably up around 90 L/min total leak for a Respironics user at this pressure.
OP is having some periods of large leak which are clearly shown by the gray area...but it's not horribly prolonged.

You can't compare your number to his....apples and oranges.

Respironics users will never have nice low leak numbers like yours even if they had zero excess leak. Impossible because of the vent rate and all masks have vent rates.
Including yours but your machine removes the vent rate before posting leak numbers.

audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03 am

Pugsy wrote:
audihere wrote:
looked at the *chart*. Leak rate looks like mask is barely on his face. Just glancing at it looks like 53.3 Leak Rate across the night on average. 66 is showing as the 95%. Looks plausible.

You are using a ResMed machine....the OP here is using a Respironics machine.
The leak rate is reported differently by each brand and you can't compare the numbers since they don't represent the same thing.

53 L/min would be horribly high for you but for a Respironics user it's not all that large.
Large leak for you is 24 L/min excess only leak...but since Respironics reports total leak which is the excess leak plus the vent rate 53 L/min isn't horribly high.
Large leak is probably up around 90 L/min total leak for a Respironics user at this pressure.
OP is having some periods of large leak which are clearly shown by the gray area...but it's not horribly prolonged.

You can't compare your number to his....apples and oranges.

Respironics users will never have nice low leak numbers like yours even if they had zero excess leak. Impossible because of the vent rate and all masks have vent rates.
Including yours but your machine removes the vent rate before posting leak numbers.

Thank you, that was an excellent explanation of how two brands of machines report the leak rate differently. Resmed appears to be helping the end user by subtracting out the base leak rate of the mask's vent rate, rather than confusing them by adding it in and then having to somehow differentiate what your actual seal leak rate is.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am

Well.....ResMed is the only brand manufacturer that reports excess leak only. All the others report total leak which isn't all that confusing if someone will just watch for machine flagged large leaks and there is zero need to do any calculations of any sort manually.
If the machine doesn't flag a large leak event....then it didn't happen.

Why ResMed chose to go this way with the leak report....I don't know but I am pretty sure it wasn't to help out patients. They have never been known to do anything to directly help the patient.
They consider the DME or doctors their real customers and everything they do is designed with the DME or doctor in mind.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:06 pm

audihere wrote:
diamaunt wrote:
audihere wrote:

No, no it's not.

Look at the *chart*.

I looked at the *chart*. Leak rate looks like mask is barely on his face. Just glancing at it looks like 53.3 Leak Rate across the night on average. 66 is showing as the 95%. Looks plausible.

Nope, The OP's leak rate is just fine.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:08 pm

audihere wrote:
Resmed appears to be helping the end user by subtracting out the base leak rate of the mask's vent rate, rather than confusing them by adding it in and then having to somehow differentiate what your actual seal leak rate is.

Resmed is just the only ones with enough smarts in their machine to calculate the mask's vent rate, which varies with pressure, and calculate the excess leak.

Others just report the complete flow through the machine, which is dead simple to do.

audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar horrors  |  Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:21 am

diamaunt wrote:
audihere wrote:
Resmed appears to be helping the end user by subtracting out the base leak rate of the mask's vent rate, rather than confusing them by adding it in and then having to somehow differentiate what your actual seal leak rate is.

Resmed is just the only ones with enough smarts in their machine to calculate the mask's vent rate, which varies with pressure, and calculate the excess leak.

Others just report the complete flow through the machine, which is dead simple to do.

That makes a lot of sense.