Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Newly diagnosed and lost
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

tstiefler3
  Unread post  Post subject: Newly diagnosed and lost  |  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Hey there,

Kinda new to this world and wanted to share my experience with my CPAP and ask a couple questions. Thank you so so so much for your help and support.

I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea about 6 months ago. I was actually excited because I've struggled with depression and anxiety my entire life and thought this could help. Anyways, I was told I should see some indication of feeling better within a week, but I only felt worse. According to the myair app I was getting a full night of sleep but I still felt like sh*t. This happened with a full face mask and a nasal pillow. I gave up but want to try again.

1) Do I have to replace my mask, tubes, etc.?

2) How long should I give it before giving up?

3) Are there optimal pressure settings I should try? Or humidifier settings? Anything I should play with to experiment?

4) Is it possible that CPAP machines just won't work for me?

5) Is there a way that I can measure the quality of my sleep to know if the CPAP is making a difference? Like something that measures REM and deep sleep?

That's all I got for now. Again thanks so much.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly diagnosed and lost  |  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:21 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

1) no.
2) Don't give up.
3) Most likely, and that means "post charts" so you can get advice.
4) It's likely that you don't have it set right.
5) Sure, get a Dreem.

SkinnyFemale
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly diagnosed and lost  |  Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:05 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal Cushion
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: Currently pressure 7 to 12

Finding this site is a good start. It took me 4 months and about 5 or 6 masks/nasal appliances before I found something I could live with, and it was torture. I kept up because I tested severe and have other health issues at the same time. Finally settled on dreamwear nasal cushion, which I find very comfortable and am getting good numbers. So once you make the commitment, you just have to stick with it and keep trying. Depending on your insurance you may qualify for a new mask or nasal appliance once a month. Educate yourself about how to use your machine. Apria (who I refuse to deal with anymore) doesn't want you to know how to make changes in your machine. Go on U-Tube, there are many wonderful sites that provide all kinds of instruction and help. Good luck! You will get there and it will help!!

tstiefler3
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly diagnosed and lost  |  Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:13 pm

[quote="tstiefler3"]

Thanks so much. I'll keep at it. Just curious. Do you notice a difference since finding the right mask/settings?

tstiefler3
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly diagnosed and lost  |  Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:14 pm

diamaunt wrote:
1) no.
2) Don't give up.
3) Most likely, and that means "post charts" so you can get advice.
4) It's likely that you don't have it set right.
5) Sure, get a Dreem.

Does the dreem work for you? It's def an investment so curious if you have experience with it.