Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Is my pressure too high?
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Darkwinde2
Unread post  Post subject: Is my pressure too high?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:16 pm

The normal: I've had my AirCurve 10 BiPAP for probably 5 years, and use it every night. Can't sleep without it. I've used the same model nasal mask (F&P FlexiFit 407) for over a decade. I'm a nose breather and have had no trouble in all that time with my mouth coming open. Mostly because I grind my teeth like no one my dentist has ever seen. Yay for dental guards.

The problem: In April 2019, I was put on a medicine that has miraculously helped me lose weight. I've lost 50 lbs so far. Sometime this summer I started waking up in the middle of the night covered in sweat and with my mouth dry as the Sahara. This mostly happens when I'm on my back, but has happened on my side, as well. It's becoming more frequent, and now happens up to 4 times a night. Let me be clear, my jaw doesn't open, so a chin strap isn't going to help. I was finally awake enough to realize how it happened one time. I can feel air come around my tongue and teeth and force its way out of my lips. It seems this happens again and again until all the air is coming out of my mouth and I wake up struggling to breathe.

What I've tried: I upped my humidity until I felt like I was drowning. No good. I slept on my side with a pillow jammed against my mouth. No good. I wore my backup full face mask. I can't handle it. No good. I called the therapists that are supposed to be in charge of my case. They told me to call my equipment provider. (To do what, exactly?) No good.

I'm sure I need a new sleep study, but I can't afford to do one now and then another when I reach my target weight, hopefully by the end of the year. So what to do in the meantime? Am I jumping to conclusions that my weight loss has made my required pressure lower than what's set? I know it's possible to change my pressure, but should I try the inhale or exhale or both? Or am I on the completely wrong track?

Thanks in advance!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is my pressure too high?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:49 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Tape your lips.

Darkwinde2
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is my pressure too high?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:50 pm

:lol: I've considered it, but I thought I would see if there was a better answer.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is my pressure too high?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:16 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

There is zero way for us to have any clue as to what your pressure needs might be but if you are thinking that lower pressure will end the dry mouth.....doubtful because it's the mouth breathing that is the likely culprit and people complain of that even with as little as 5 cm pressure.

You could of course give it a try and see but the only sure fire way of stopping mouth breathing....taping.

And don't assume that just because you have lost a lot of weight that your pressure needs to deal with your OSA have gone down. I know of way too many people who lost a truckload of weight and not only did they not get to ditch the cpap but they ended up needing more pressure after the weight loss than they were using before the weight loss.

You know that saggy stuff hanging down from your upper arms that you get to look at in the mirror.....the same sort of thing can happen in the airway tissues...they get more saggy and floppy with the weight loss and they can be even harder to keep the airway stented open with pressures because of the overall large saggy presence. The tissues don't necessarily reduce in size and no longer block the airway....sometimes they are harder to keep them from sagging into the airway.

If you do decide to lower your pressure...be sure to do it the smart way and closely monitor your software data available from your machine.

Darkwinde2
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is my pressure too high?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Okay, good point about the weight loss.

I wasn't expecting anyone to divine my pressure requirement, I was just hoping for some guidance on whether it might be the inhale or exhale that was the problem. But it seems I was barking up the wrong tree entirely.

So, after 4 times being woken last night, I tried some medical tape I have sitting around. It seems to have helped, but I was still woken with air escaping my mouth. Any ideas on what tape I should use? Or is that another post altogether?

Thanks again!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Is my pressure too high?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:32 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

No need to start another post or topic thread. Keep all your questions to this one.

As for what kind of tape might work best...that's trial and error mainly.
Different folks have different success rates with different tape.
Needs to be probably 2 inches wide though and extend a little past the corners of the mouth..and horizontally is like to stay put the best.
Or that's the way I had success with it.
I used plain ordinary and cheap blue painters tape...I had it laying around after a kitchen paint job...so that's why I started with it. It worked well enough for me and I saw no need to change it.

I don't know that changing either exhale or inhale will do anything to curb the dry mouth. Dry mouth isn't normally caused by any certain pressure as it can happen when people use the minimum pressures as well as high pressures. Mouth breathing isn't something made better or worse with pressure changes. It can happen at any pressure.
I would be more worried about why so much mouth breathing now when you didn't have it in the past and try to figure the cause first...and I do know that is easier said than done.