Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - CPAP and feeling like suffocating
FAQ
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:41 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

DK1
Unread post  Post subject: CPAP and feeling like suffocating  |  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:56 pm

Hello all,

Question - I’ve been sleeping with Dreamstation GO and dreamstation full face mask because I tried nasal one but I breath thru mouth. I also tried the mouth tape but still breath thru mouth.

The best night of sleep I have had is 8 hours with a 3.3 AHi. The past few nights I have only slept 3 hours because I awake myself coughing. I then think I can’t breath and rip off the mask. Is this due to pressure being too low? I am on auto flex as well.

In short, I dig the mask, just wondering why I keep waking up after about 3 hours and startling myself.

Thanks all. Love this forum as trying to get help from doctors or sleep study places is a terrible experience.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP and feeling like suffocating  |  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:03 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

We have no idea what your pressure is or what your machine is doing when you wake up and feel like you can't breathe.

Or for that matter if it is related to pressure or not....or even apnea related.

Is your machine compatible with OSCAR? If it is then use the software and see for sure what might have happened during the night and what pressure was being used.

OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

DK1
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP and feeling like suffocating  |  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm

Average pressure is 8. Average AHI is 5. No mask leaks.
just was curious at a high level if there is a correlation between pressure and avoiding hypoapneas. Thinking thru your analogy of a car and tires if higher pressure would reduce anything. New to CPAP world, trying to figure all this stuff.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP and feeling like suffocating  |  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:19 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

It all depends on what kind of apnea events are making up that AHI.

Higher pressure will usually help reduce hyponeas and obstructive apneas.
Higher pressure won't normally help reduce central apneas and could potentially make a person have more centrals.

So it's kinda important to know what kind of apnea you might be having.