Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - 1st Download
FAQ
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 3:28 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

padre
Unread post  Post subject: 1st Download  |  Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:43 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus; ResMed Quatto FX; ResMed AirFit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Humidifier: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST; Auto Set; Heated Hose
Pressure Setting: 11/15

Feeling a little giddy. Got Oscar downloaded and actually got a view of my first data dump about an hour ago (took me a while to do that) and am just kinda feeling my way around. Lots more reading necessary. I read the SleepyHead tutorial by Pugsy, What's best for Oscar. So, just a question or two about quickly looking at my May data. I only have 4 event categories listed: LL, OA, UA, and H. Are some missing? Second, in 9 days of data I have not recorded a single OA and do not even have a CA category. Most interesting is that I have a smattering of UA's but a ton of H's--25+ or so per night. From reading previous posts, I'm relatively certain that the vast majority of the H's are related to my reading in bed and nodding off for a few seconds or even a minute or two and/or times when I am laying in bed just trying to fall asleep (chronic insomnia). The timeline really supports that. My major question is why I have not recorded a single OA and have no CA event category. I remember dreaming so I think, at times, I sleep deep enough to perhaps register some OA's etc. I mean I'm on a cpap for a reason (obstructive and central apnea). While I need to do more reading etc. before trying to send graphs to the forum, I am just burning with curiosity as to possible explanations for the lack of any OA's or even a CA category. Thanks.

p.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:29 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense/AirCurve 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

OSCAR is based on an earlier version of SleepyHead. Anything that pertains to SleepyHead will pertain to OSCAR.

Your machine is a little different than most of the other machines.
It doesn't separate OA and CA/central apneas into separate categories.
Instead it dumps both in the UA category. Unclassified apnea. This is your machine doing this and not just OSCAR. If you were to use ResMed's ResScan software you would still see UA category and no CA/central or OA.

It's a limitation of your machine. Nothing you can do about it.
If the UA numbers are low...doesn't really matter much what they are is my thought about it. I used your model machine for a period of time to just try it...so I am very familiar with it.

You will of course see hyponeas....and yes it is entirely possible that they are awake breathing irregularities getting flagged by mistake.
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:17 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

Padre, are you perhaps asking why you don't see any apneas on the machine when you had many in your sleep study? This is a common question. The answer is that the machine only reports the apneas that it failed to prevent. Or put it another way - say you had 50 events/hour in the sleep test but your machine is now only showing 1 per hour - that means it's doing its job and successfully preventing the other 49 you would have had otherwise.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

padre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:13 am

Pugsy wrote:
OSCAR is based on an earlier version of SleepyHead. Anything that pertains to SleepyHead will pertain to OSCAR.

Instead it dumps both in the UA category. Unclassified apnea. This is your machine doing this and not just OSCAR. If you were to use ResMed's ResScan software you would still see UA category and no CA/central or OA.

If the UA numbers are low...doesn't really matter much what they are is my thought about it. I used your model machine for a period of time to just try it...so I am very familiar with it.

You will of course see hyponeas....and yes it is entirely possible that they are awake breathing irregularities getting flagged by mistake.

Thanks for the explanation. It seems like I may have read something about that in your tutorial which I will read again and print out to more easily reference. Is my machine the same reason why I have only 4 event categories listed and will that never change? I'll try to find some charts in previous threads that are from a machine similar to mine as it may help put things in better perspective. I also need to do some more reading regarding my large amounts of H's and get a better understanding of what they are, detrimental effects, how to reduce them etc. Thanks.

"Padre, are you perhaps asking why you don't see any apneas on the machine when you had many in your sleep study? This is a common question. The answer is that the machine only reports the apneas that it failed to prevent. Or put it another way - say you had 50 events/hour in the sleep test but your machine is now only showing 1 per hour - that means it's doing its job and successfully preventing the other 49 you would have had otherwise."

R....99, Thanks for the explanation which never crossed my mind. I think it was just a knee jerk reaction to the fact that my charts, for 9 days, were completely devoid of any OA's or CA's (which Pugsy cleared up). Thought maybe it was a miracle and I had been healed. Wonder if that has ever happened. That is, for the most part, experiencing virtually no apneas once cpap therapy has had a chance to take hold. Thanks

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:30 am

padre wrote:
Is my machine the same reason why I have only 4 event categories listed and will that never change?

Correct. These are the only event categories the machine records.

You probably need a little more EPAP pressure to deal with the hyponeas but without seeing your detailed reports and all the available settings...it's just a guess.
How many per hour are you averaging?

padre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:09 pm

I have only downloaded the 1st nine days in May. My monthly report shows an average of 3.75 (per hour ?). However, in those days, I have had days of 27, 25, 28, 34,39, 27,37, 23, and 7 events. So, when I look at the graph it seems like a lot. Also, not sure how Oscar averages these, but on most nights, due to insomnia, I may wake up and get out of bed for several hours. So, not sure how that is computed i.e. mask on vs mask off/machine on vs machine off.

As I said I am just feeling my way around. I did a lot more reading today. Not sure if this question should go in another thread but since I'm here....I finally figured out how to "zoom" in on the charts but have not figured out how to release the zoom. Only way I can do that is by going to a different day and then coming back. I have an iMac. I saw something in the readings directing me to go to the Apple system preferences and follow some prompts. But, some of the suggested prompts are not available to me or just not there. One step forward, two steps back sometimes. Have been fooling around with that for about the last hour and finally decided to take a break. I double click on my mouse to activate the zoom and can enlarge and shrink the area but, again, haven't figured a way to back out of it. Maybe the subject for a different post or maybe a simple solution that is staring me right in the face but I can't see it. Thanks.

p.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:34 pm

The total number of events means nothing without knowing the number of hours the machine was on.

AHI is an hourly index/average.

If you are having a lot of awake time with mask and machine on from the insomnia you might have a lot of false positive arousal/awake related flagging.
Watch the videos here

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:07 pm

Re zooming in and out: I don't know how it goes on a Mac, but on Windows the following will work:

1. Left click - zoom in
  2. Right click - zoom out
  3. Hold Ctrl key and rotate the mouse wheel - zoom in and out
  4. Right click on a graph title (eg the word "Pressure" at the left end of the pressure graph). A drop-down menu will appear - select 100% zoom.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help

padre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:38 am

You're both soooo patient.. Once again, I am not asking my question clearly (totally my bad). What I'm trying to ask became quite clear after watching one of the videos by Jason in Pugsy's link. My problem is terminology--zoom vs highlight. In the videos, Jason "highlights" an are area in the Event Graph which then zooms in on that area in the graph below which I think in the first video is the Flow Rate graph. Again, Jason can "highlight" areas in the now zoomed in on Flow Rate graph. You can hear him clicking, enlarging, and moving the highlighted areas. I can do all that. What I cannot do is, when I am all done interpreting or examining data (which I'm not interested or capable of doing at this point) is to restore the graphs to their original status by eliminating the highlight from the Event Graph so that the Flow Graph returns to normal and the Event Graph has no highlighted area (no matter how small). The only way I have found I can do that is to go to the calendar and move to a different date and then return to the original date at which point the graphs are in their un-highlight and un-zoomed status.

I'm hoping that that improves or clarifies my question some or hopefully a lot. I'm guessing that you both (Pugsy/R..99) have probably successfully done this many times.

Again, maybe this question should be part of a different thread or not. Thanks.

p.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:08 pm

You can go back with a lot of clicking with the mouse...or you can do what I do when I want to go back to regular non zoom...just go to the previous day and then right back to the day I am looking at.
A lot less clicking is involved.

What you are doing...that's what I do. There might be an easier way but I haven't found it. 2 mouse clicks and a millisecond and I am back to original scale.

padre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:15 pm

Well that makes me feel a bit better. Fooled around with it again today but have not found the solution. I am starting to go through the Oscar (tutorial ?) section by section and it is apparent to me that not all the options are available on a MAC (I think). Another instance: Putting a line at 0 in the Flow Chart. Following the instructions, I have not been able to do that one either. Now, it could have something to do with the ResMed model also--or not. In any event, I'll try not to get too excited about things next time. Are you using a MAC?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:38 pm

No. I have never owned a Mac so I am totally clueless about Macs.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:13 pm

I just looked up the Apple mouse - only one button and no wheel? No wonder the instructions are confusing. I believe a mouse from a (cough) real computer will also work on a Mac, then all these other features should work as described.

I wrote a lot of the more recent documentation for Oscar but it was pretty much all from a Windows perspective.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help

Moe_Howard
Unread post  Post subject: 1st Download into OSCAR (PLEASE HELP ME)  |  Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:29 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DreamWear nasel headgear with arms
PAP Machine: Res Med 10 auto set.
Humidifier: Yes
Pressure Setting: Minimum pressure is 6 and Maximum pressure is 16

My pressure settings on my ResMed Auto is 4 to 20. What should I check on OSCAR to help me correctly find out what my min. to max. pressure settings should be? (my AHI is around 3.5 and my pressure is 9 to 11, and leak is 24)

Any help would be so helpful.

padre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 pm

Respirator99 wrote:
I just looked up the Apple mouse - only one button and no wheel? No wonder the instructions are confusing. I believe a mouse from a (cough) real computer will also work on a Mac, then all these other features should work as described.

I wrote a lot of the more recent documentation for Oscar but it was pretty much all from a Windows perspective.

Never did I think that my thread would digress into a discussion of mice. As I am pretty much homebound during these co-vid times and not to be deterred.... Operating under the premise that anything a wheel mouse can do an Apple Magic Mouse can do better (I mean it is Magic), or just as good, I spent about 2 hours this morning reading, researching, and attempting to solve the two (known) issues, so far, that I discussed with Pugsy and yourself up-thread--coming out of zoom and the dreaded dotted line. I also discovered that I could buy a relatively adequate "wheel" mouse for about $26 on Amazon and that I obviously have too much time on my hands. In any event I am happy to say that I have prevailed in conquering both issues. Briefly, the Magic Mouse does have a right click option but I had it turned off in my System Preferences. I also found out that the right click is sensitive (for my hand size) and often will activate when I try to just use a center click--which is why I probably turned it off in the first place. In any event, in both instances, it is a two step process and I'm not sure how dissimilar it is from using the wheel mouse. But, mission accomplished at least until next time. Although, these may be the only two such issues in the history of Oscar, I am thinking of starting a thread to see how many people running Oscar are doing so under an Apple platform with the idea that maybe we can help each other out in similar circumstances. However, I think unless myself or other individuals are thinking of using Oscar on more of a Micro rather than Macro level fewer of these crossover issues will surface. While I think I am or, for the most part, will be a Macro user in the future I thought I would try to read the whole tutorial through at least once--particularly since, again, I obviously have too much time on my hands.

R...99, Can you send me a link to your work?

Take care.

p.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:08 am

Padre, I wrote a lot of the stuff in the Oscar help guide and the linked pages http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... OSCAR_Help

Having said that, a LOT of the material comes from Robysue's Guide to SleepyHead, and a lot was contributed by other members.

Good to hear you got the magic mouse doing its stuff! I think a lot of us have too much time on our hands these days.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help

padre
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:48 am

Been reading in both those places. Thanks & stay safe.

p.

dude
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:00 pm

PAP Mask: AirFitâ„¢ P30i Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear Starter Pack
PAP Machine: DreamStation APAP Machine
Humidifier: fixed/adaptive preheater
Pressure Setting: 5-20cm

Pugsy wrote:

I wouldn't regard Central events flagged by mistake until you read the flow rate chart at a 2 minute segment.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: 1st Download  |  Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 am

Ignore what dude says. He doesn't understand plain cpap therapy much less the reports from the ST machine.