Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Changed from ResMed to DreamStation Huge Increase in AHI
FAQ
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 1:45 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

bigfoot756
Unread post  Post subject: Changed from ResMed to DreamStation Huge Increase in AHI  |  Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:25 am

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DreamWear Nasal Cushion
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStaton Auto CPAP
Humidifier: Heated
Pressure Setting: 6 to 15

I am a new user, 3 weeks into therapy. I had a ResMed Airsense 10 that I was using and my AHI was great, under 2. I watched a review of machines and was convinced that the DreamStation Auto was a better fit for me, so I returned my ResMed and ordered a DreamStation. I had ordered online and the ResMed actually had a 30 day trial and return policy, so no problem at all returning the device. My DreamStation arrived and I immediately set it to similar settings from the ResMed. Night one my AHI pretty much doubled, with my Hypopnea more than doubling, night two everything has tripled. I turned off the Flex function for night 2, now going into night 3 my plan is to crank up my minimum pressure from 6 to 8. I'm stuck with the DS so I need to figure out the proper settings. The ResMed I ran at 6 and never exceeded 10 during an event. With the DS I have not exceeded 10 during an incident, yet I have so many more incidents. I am hopeful that the bump from minimum 6 to 8 will solve the problem, but would appreciate some guidance. I question whether the ResMed algorithm was maybe a better fit for me, or is it that the DreamStation just records differently?

On a side note, I have tolerated therapy quite well, average 6.5 hours per night, and give all the credit to LeftyLanky for turning me on to the DreamWear Nasal cushion mask, those YouTube Videos are fantastic.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Changed from ResMed to DreamStation Huge Increase in AHI  |  Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:08 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

G'day bigfoot756.

The general consensus on most forums seems to be that most people get better results with a Resmed machine. The machines go about their business in quite different ways - the Resmed is faster to respond to "precursors" and heads off a lot of apneas before they occur.

Generally speaking, the Dreamstation needs a higher minimum pressure to achieve similar efficacy. Your plan to increase pressure is a good one, but at this stage I need to ask for some data to quantify exactly what's happening, and what a reasonable setting would be. So, a bunch of questions:

1. What model Resmed Airsense did you have? CPAP, Elite, Atoset, Autoset for Her, other? This is important.

2. What model Dreamstation do you have? This is critical information.

3. What are your current pressure settings?

4. Are you using Oscar software? If so, please upload a daily screenshot from a typical night. Arrange the screenshot according to the instructions here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... ganization If you don't have Oscar, you can get it here: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Red_
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Changed from ResMed to DreamStation Huge Increase in AHI  |  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:47 pm

PAP Mask: airfit f30
PAP Machine: resmed aircurve 10 vauto
Humidifier: Resmed
Pressure Setting: 10 epap min - 25 ipap Max pressure support 4.6

Respirator99 wrote:
G'day bigfoot756.

The general consensus on most forums seems to be that most people get better results with a Resmed machine. The machines go about their business in quite different ways - the Resmed is faster to respond to "precursors" and heads off a lot of apneas before they occur.

Generally speaking, the Dreamstation needs a higher minimum pressure to achieve similar efficacy. Your plan to increase pressure is a good one, but at this stage I need to ask for some data to quantify exactly what's happening, and what a reasonable setting would be. So, a bunch of questions:

1. What model Resmed Airsense did you have? CPAP, Elite, Atoset, Autoset for Her, other? This is important.

2. What model Dreamstation do you have? This is critical information.

3. What are your current pressure settings?

4. Are you using Oscar software? If so, please upload a daily screenshot from a typical night. Arrange the screenshot according to the instructions here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... ganization If you don't have Oscar, you can get it here: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Very true in regards to the dreamstation needing much higher minimum pressure to keep your AHI low. I switched from one to resmed aircurve 10 vauto and it heads off events way ahead of what the dreamstation did.