Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Shocking Results - Can it be true?
FAQ
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 2:58 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

JFGcanes
Unread post  Post subject: Shocking Results - Can it be true?  |  Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:33 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Dreamwear Nasal
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: With Airsense 10 plus Heated Hose
Pressure Setting: APAP (8-18) 95% (11)

New here, so don't crush me if this is a stupid question.

Some background:

I snore heavily and my wife says I would stop breathing and then struggle to start back up again. My doctor had me do a Level 3 home sleep study which was scored an AHI of 88. Pretty shocking. I've been on an APAP machine going on my 4th week now and according to OSCAR my average AHI is an equally shocking 1.46.

OSCAR stats for last week:

Max Pressure: 13
95% Pressure: 11
Average EPAP: 10

Is there any reason to question the validity of the high sleep study score?

And, two, would setting the machine to CPAP mode for a one night test at the lowest pressure reveal my true non-mouth snore score? Non-mouth snore in that I use the Dreamwear nasal mask so I sleep with my mouth closed now.

What do you guys think?

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Shocking Results - Can it be true?  |  Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:45 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

G'day JFGcanes.

Quote:
New here, so don't crush me if this is a stupid question.

Ain't no such thing as a stupid question. Though you might get a stupid answer... :lol:

Your untreated AHI of 88 is very severe, but by no means the worst I've seen. Still, it means you're being strangled on average every 40 seconds all night long. It's a good thing your beloved got on to this and that you now have treatment.

A treated AHI of 1.46 is excellent. Provided this is giving you a restful sleep and you feel better afterwards there's nothing more to be done except enjoy. If you want to, upload an Oscar daily chart and we will see if there are any peculiarities or opportunities to improve still further. But really, it's a matter of how you feel, how refreshing your sleep is. If those boxes are ticked, then congratulations!

Regarding your second question, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, or why. Running at a fixed pressure of 4 would likely give you poor sleep and you may well find it difficult to inhale. Many people experience a feeling of suffocation if the pressure is too low.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

SleepyP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Shocking Results - Can it be true?  |  Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:01 pm

1. No, no reason I can think of.
2. CPAP is a treatment device, not a diagnostic device. Yes, it measures the events and air flow, but it is not capable of not treating you so you can't get a non treated diagnostic report from it.
I think that's what you're asking.

JFGcanes
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Shocking Results - Can it be true?  |  Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Yes, I was thinking the OSCAR results from one night's sleep with minimum pressure would give an indication of the severity of closed mouth apnea. My thought is that my snore/apnea may be related to open mouth breathing. If there was a way to restrict my sleep to closed mouth breathing, would OSCAR's score show any interesting results vis-a-via the results of my class 3 sleep study? I find it amazing that I can go from an AHI of 88 in my sleep study to less than 2 with PAP therapy over night. Perhaps I should thank my lucky stars and call it all good, but I have questions which may only be satisfied with further follow up in some fashion.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Shocking Results - Can it be true?  |  Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:38 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

Without being rude, I think you're barking up the wrong tree! I don't think there's any such thing as a " true non-mouth snore score" - it just is the result of your airway closing under the stress of inhalation or exhalation.

You seem suspicious of the excellent result you're achieving: don't be suspicious, just accept the fact that you had severe apnea and the machine which is designed to treat the apnea is doing its job properly. Most people take some time to adapt while others get instant results - you're just one of the lucky ones.

I should also mention that a lot of people get great initial results but after a while they relapse a bit. So that might possibly happen to you, and don't be disappointed if it does. This is all part of the process of getting well. But for now, just enjoy the tremendous improvement you are experiencing.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

JFGcanes
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Shocking Results - Can it be true?  |  Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:40 am

Cool - Thanks Res99