Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Newb - Need help with pressure
FAQ
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 1:23 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

dmc515
Unread post  Post subject: Newb - Need help with pressure  |  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:18 am

PAP Mask: ResMes AirFit P30i
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10

Hi there, I'm new here and a new CPAP user, less than a week. I have a ResMed AirSense 10, pressure set from Dr at 4 - 20. The first few nights that I used it, it would start off at 4 (too low for me in my opinion), but after a few minutes would be in the 5.5 range or higher, a check during the night is typically around 7.5.

Tonight pressure was never above 5.4. I woke up several times to check, even shut the machine off, unplugged and restarted. Same. Is there something wrong with the machine? I checked and settings have not changed. Why isn't pressure going into the 7 range like it was?

Thanks!

slingshot383
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb - Need help with pressure  |  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:57 am

PAP Mask: AirFit N30i
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Part of the AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: 8 - 16

I'm also new to the CPAP game, just about 1 month at it. My AirSense 10 also came with a starting pressure of 4, but by reading about others stories and asking questions, I've upped my starting pressure to 8, and like it a lot better. My machine was set with the top pressure at 16, and I have left that alone. Naturally, the mask you use also makes a difference, I use nasal pillows after starting with nasal cushion that I couldn't get comfortable with.

Minimum oxygen saturation 71% during REM sleep, 64% during non-REM sleep

dmc515
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb - Need help with pressure  |  Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:09 am

Thanks for your response. Last night was better, thankfully. Not sure what happened Thu night but hopefully nothing is wrong with the machine.

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb - Need help with pressure  |  Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:31 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

dmc515 wrote:
... pressure set from Dr at 4 - 20.

That's not a setting, that just the way it comes from the factory. To give your doc the benefit of the doubt he might just be using this as a starting range, with the intent to narrow it to a more optimum range. Or he might just be lazy.

Anyhow, I'd be pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the machine - they are remarkably reliable. Don't worry too much about the pressure, but concentrate on what your AHI is doing and how comfortable you are.

Can I suggest you get hold of the Oscar software and upload a "daily" page here and we'll soon see if there are any significant problems. All the details for Oscar are linked in my signature.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

dmc515
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb - Need help with pressure  |  Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:05 am

Thanks again. :D

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb - Need help with pressure  |  Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:36 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense/AirCurve 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Pressure needs can and will vary from night to night or heck, from hour to hour sometimes during one night.
Sleeping positions vary and can cause different pressure needs.
Even changing sleep stages can cause different pressure needs....like it is common to need more pressure during REM stage sleep because it's is common for REM sleep to make OSA worse.

Don't worry about it....just expect it to happen.
I have night's where my pressure might not get above 10 cm...and the next night it might hit 16...probably REM related because my OSA is well known to be a lot worse in REM. Some nights I get more REM than other nights because I have some other health issues that mess with my sleep.