Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure
FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:51 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Shagrock322
Unread post  Post subject: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:54 am

PAP Mask: Resmed F30I/N20
PAP Machine: Resmed airsense 10
Humidifier: Auto climate tube, settings Auto, hose temp Auto
Pressure Setting: Pressure 8 EPR 2

Ok first I was using my resmed F30i, with that mask, leaks are lower, but ahi is higher anywhere from 1.0 to 2.5. Went back to resmed N20, higher leaks, but ahi runs .4 to 1.0. Also my clap was set to a straight 8 cm so I thought I would try the auto part, but kept it around the 8 cm, set to 7.4 cm to 9.8 cm. Yes I normally get up to pee at least once a night, but I am 64, and prostrate is a little enlarged. The question is, my ahi looks real good, but the leaks, could that be mouth breathing? Thanks

Attachments:
BFC709FC-7466-4E67-9F83-FFAFF9661DDE.jpeg
BFC709FC-7466-4E67-9F83-FFAFF9661DDE.jpeg [ 292.9 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
F11540D1-38B7-40D9-9057-27125554EA7F.jpeg
F11540D1-38B7-40D9-9057-27125554EA7F.jpeg [ 297.25 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:23 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: 10 Series HumidAir
Pressure Setting: EPAP 8-15 PS 4-12

I think what we look for on mouth breathing is on the leak graph where you have what I'll call flat topped mountains. This is probably where mouth breathing would have occured. The spiked areas are more likely mask leaks.

Shagrock322
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Makes sense thanks, I did seem to have more air blowing out of the top of the n20, but if I tighten too much on the top, pinches my nose, and trouble breathing then. I was thinking of trying the dreamwear mask. I do like the connection at the top instead of the front. Also, I may be a 64 year old but I have the greasy nose of a teenager. I wash my face well before bed, but by the middle of the night grease city.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:57 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

FWIW which I admit isn't much but I once had a need to investigate as to whether the leaks I was seeing were mask movement or mouth opening because I was seeing both the rather long sort of plateau thing as well as the brief things. So I taped my mouth shut for one night. The plateau looking leaks were still there and the tape hadn't come loose. We can have mask movement leaks that are more prolonged as well.

The reason I needed to know whether they were mask movement or mouth opening was because it was with a trial with the DreamWear nasal mask and I was using the medium frame and nothing I did seem to help.
I needed to know if it was mask or mouth. Come to find out I needed a small frame and then the leaks settled down a lot.

So the moral to this story....don't assume all leaks that look flat or plateau looking are related to mouth opening....now they might be and they might not be. We have to tape the mouth at least for one night to be sure and make sure the tape doesn't come loose.

Now if I saw leaks like yours and they didn't wake me up....I would shrug my shoulders and move on. I would use the mask that I felt I liked the best and had the best sleep with.
Perfect flat leak lines and perferect AHI numbers has never been my number one goal. I learned a long time ago that perfect anything in the numbers doesn't mean perfect sleep or perfect daytime feeling.

I want to sleep decently and feel decent during the day.
That's always been my primary goal.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 pm

I agree low numbers and flat lines do not make it a good sleep session by themselves. How one feels after a sleep session is far better in gauging how effective the therapy was.

Shagrock322
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:33 pm

thank you pugsy and delta, well I admit, I feel good, I am not the zombie man of old. I could try the tape thing, does it work with a mustache? I wanted to shave it off but wife and daughter told me no, and this time of the year the white no tan lips lol. I do know this numbers are really good. Funny thing is with the F30i leak numbers go down but ahi goes up.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Taping with facial hair does present it's own challenges and since I am female...and other than the occasional post menopausal whisker (which I hate) I don't have that issue. It can be done but very carefully depending on just how close to your lip line your facial hair grows.

To me...if it were me...I adopt the more "if it ain't broke I don't go trying to fix it" kind of thing. Ask yourself what would you do differently if you knew for sure if it was mask movement leak or mouth opening leak.

Would it change anything as to what you are doing if you knew for sure if it was mouth opening or mask movement leak? How important is it to know for sure? If leaks don't wake me up....and they are not prolonged in large leak territory...I just shrug my shoulders and move on because I am not going to do a lot about them one way or the other.
The only reason I tested things was because I was evaluating a new mask some time ago and it was kind of important to know if it was mask movement due to fit or mouth opening that I was dealing with.

It's not something I normally do. Normally if I sleep through the leaks and they aren't massive and I am feeling fairly decent for me...I shrug my shoulders and move on.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 pm

I'd agree on this. If you feel the PAP therapy is helping in whichever configuration and your comfort level is good, then I'd ride that one out. Numbers on these charts are very helpful to dial the PAP in and at least get you into the ballpark. From there, the guide is "how do you feel?". If your answer is I feel pretty good when I wake up. OK end of the story. Go enjoy life, get a donut and coffee. Look at the numbers on occasion just to know you're still pointed the right way, but it's not intended to distract or hinder.

Shagrock322
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:44 am

Ok last night was a very bad leak night, windows were open, so maybe sinus issues. I did seem to notice a lot of air leaking on side of my nose. The thing that gets me is the cpap stoppage. The first one, dog got sick had to clean it up. Second one, leaks are higher, so had to get up, for a pee break. The third one a little after 6:00 am I don’t get, I did not get up, I think I was tossing and turning at that time, put it shows a stoppage, did not have a power issue, so what can cause that.

Attachments:
3305E18C-39AD-4887-9446-58F80AEACA2B.jpeg
3305E18C-39AD-4887-9446-58F80AEACA2B.jpeg [ 306.88 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]
KevinTheSleepy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:53 am

PAP Mask: Bleep Dreamports
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Pressure Setting: 12-20

I don't think the 3rd is a stoppage, but the machine did not record for that period. Notice how the pressure graph does not start over as with the other 2.

Shagrock322
Unread post  Post subject: Re: My Oscar reports for your viewing pleasure  |  Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:53 pm

It has been doing this for awhile, in the my air report, I have occasionally get a higher mask on/off than what I know is right, I had a ticket with resmed support about, their answer, if you think you have a problem with your machine talk to your DME. If the machine is buggy, it would be cheaper to buy my own instead of going through DME, insurance. Never has done it with the F30i, only when I wear the N20. Oh well guess I can toss that data as a strange night.