Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED NASAL
FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:08 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED NASAL  |  Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 am

CPAP HEATER HOSE QUESTIONS ON PHILIPS SYSTEM ONE

Hi CPAP reviews. Currently, I have a Philips System One with humidifier and heated hose options. I have been getting stuffy clogged nasal passages because of the winter weather, this causes my sleep apneas to go up and it wakes me up. I have tried nasal sprays which work but medical advice says to only use these sprays for 3 days max.. So I turn up the humidification from 1 to 2, this should help, but the System One appears to have a problem with the heater hose - it turns on for about 5-10 mins and then appears to automatically turn off altogether?? When hose turns off, this then causes the humid air from the humidifier to condense, whilst the heater hose has now turned itself off for some reason? I found the heater hose settings section and then put the heater hose upto setting 3 (out of 5 being the highest). Nevertheless, the heater hose turns off and the hose goes cold after about 5-10 mins just the same. I also found on this Philips System One that if I turn the heater hose up to setting 3 temperature that the humidifier automatically follows this heat setting and goes to setting 3 also - weird! Anyway, what I really need, is the heater hose to stay on all night at about temp setting 2, without turning off after 5-10mins automatically. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO MAKE IT STAY ON ALL NIGHT (NEW SOFTWARE?)?
(Also do any newer model CPAP machine keep the heater hose on all night or are they designed to only heat for short periods?)
WITH THANKS
cpap brother

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:25 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

The System One machine model is an older model and historically chocked full of problems with both the hose and the humidifier. It is aging and it is possible that the electrical components simply aren't functioning properly.

Is it possible for you to get a newer model machine?
If so...I recommend the ResMed AIrSense 10 AutoSet with its heated hose.
It will stay on all night if needed and the humidity is more customizable and consistent.

I have used both the System One model and the AirSense 10 model.
The ResMed wins hands down on several fronts.

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:31 am

I live in Australia and even though the Resmeds were designed and invented here - they are almost double the USA price here

I probably won't be in a position to buy a Resmed until early next year - right now in Oz we are in the dead of winter and this hose issue keeps me up at night and losing quality sleep

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:34 am

If I do upgrade - which is better - the latest Resmed or the latest Philips Dream Machine ?

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 am

Would it be possible that it is a heater hose electrical problem rather than a machine problem - that may be a cheaper way out - shame if I purchased a new hose and it was the machine with the fault?

Funny though - the heater hose consistently stays on on first turning the unit on - then consistently cuts out about 5-10 mins, then if I have a toilet break and turn it back on, the heater hose does not come back on - does that read more like a machine electrical problem or a hose electrical issue?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:24 am

The System One machines have a known problem with the humidifier and its actually in the blower side of the unit. I have no way to know if your machine has that problem or simply a heated hose electrical problem.

Electrical stuff is above my pay grade. My eyes start to glaze over when I try to think about that stuff.

Though it does sound like if the hose actually does come on to start with and then goes out that the problem might be in the hose itself and it's a lot cheaper to buy a new hose than a new machine.

For buying a new machine...check out secondwindcpap.com.
They sell internationally and might make the pricing a little more doable.
All you need to make it work is a little power cord from the power brick to your wall outlet with the appropriate connector. Those are common and cheap or one can even use an adaptor. Heck, the one from your System One brick to your wall outlet might even work.

As for ResMed AirSense 10 vs Respirionics DreamStation...I have never used a DreamStation....but I stand by my ResMed statement.
I am in the USA....and I have seen more "lemon" complaints about the DreamStation in terms of noise and doing weird stuff with it than with the AirSense 10. They all can have some lemons but ResMed lemons are much less common.

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

I'll check secondwind out

thanks for your help Pugsy - much appreciated

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:17 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20 N30i P30i
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: 10 Series HumidAir
Pressure Setting: EPAP 8-15 PS 4-12

I vote Secondwind and ResMed AutoSet as well. I've heard on another forum several in Australia have been very pleased with dealing with them for their PAP machines.

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:09 am

My existing CPAP machine is about 5 years old and my heated hose is about 3 years old - so no doubt I require a new machine at least sometime early next year

in the meantime, I could not find a used heater hose at second wind shop

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:49 am

secondwindcpap.com idea was for a machine

You don't want a used hose....you want a new hose
You should be able to find one locally or on EBay or Amazon

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:08 am

Hi again

I rang Philips support and they felt sorry for me and sold me a new dream machine heated hose for $29 (about $20 US) way below normal retail. They said, this way you can see if the problem is in the hose first without much $ loss. The hose is interchangeable between a system one machine and a dream machine - which I already knew because I saw this hose advertised for $66AU with a pic of both machines on either side of the hose pic

they are sending it to me overnight

thanks Philips for your great support (and thanks cpap advice forum)

cpap bro

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:59 am

I don't think DreamStation heated hoses fit your older System One.

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:48 am

- if it doesn't fit then I will ask for a refund of course - will find out in a couple of days and let you know - at least they are trying to assist

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 am

LOOK CLOSE IN SIZE

https://www.mycpap.com.au/philips-respi ... ated-tube/

and

https://www.mycpap.com.au/philips-respi ... gJH8fD_BwE

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:06 pm

OK that website says these are interchangeable, just that the older style is black ended and the newer is white ended. If that's the case disregard my prior info.

cpap brother
Unread post  Post subject: Re: HEATED HOSE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS OFF LEADING TO BLOCKED N  |  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:53 am

Hi - yep! the Dream Station hose plug arrived today and fits in nice and tight into the system one humidifier female plug with no leakage at all - the only difference is the colour and that's because the system one connector has a slight ridge at the top and the dream station plug is a bit more round, it sits 1mm short of the outside ridge at the top - but still looks good. Regardles, it will give me a cheap way to find out if the heater cut out problem is the hose or in the machine. If it works it the hose if not its the machine (or the machine humidifier lid area)
Will test tun it tonight and get back to you