id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Waking up Tired with CPAP
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:09 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Marsh
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:36 am

PAP Mask: Quattro FX
PAP Machine: Res Med Airsense 10 autoset
Pressure Setting: 5-15

Now i have a comfortable quattro air but at 5am a0r about it starts to leak at cheeks and I can't seem to adjust it correctly. I've done the pulling away from face and alternatively stopping machine, taking off and putting back on. I'm also getting a dry mouth and most importantly I'm still tired three days in a row with new mask. More screen shots tomorrow or Sunday. Perhaps info have some other problem.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:48 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

I think the answer (and problem) is here: http://youtu.be/FuljE0Qe1Lg

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

LaurettaK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:19 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set for Her
Humidifier: w/Heated Tubing
Pressure Setting: 5 to 15

How's it been going, Marsh? Your issues sound similar to many I have been dealing with for awhile as well. I have a corrected AHI of mostly under 3 but don't feel like my treatment set-up is optimized based on how I feel during the day. I've learned that I seem to have clusters of RERA'a @ of 3+ that might be playing a role in my sleep quality. I also had/have mask issues that the DME after 4 in 9months tries said she was out of options for me and the when I asked to try the Liberty, she said it wouldn't work and wouldn't order...but I eventually got on my own and now have had since Nov and have gotten at least half the night at at time out of, prior to switching to my simplus which I can use about 2 hrs at a time. I will be getting the Oracle mouth only mask eventually and that may add another option to my maskARAID....My pressure seems to want to peak only at times and figuring that out has been a challenge. I did learn a lot from videos here and the one on how much time is wasted getting to your optimal pressures with a wide open range made lots of sense, I too stared at 5 to 15 and am now at 10.5 to 14 based on my own best guesses.

Some days I wake up with a headache, &/or a bloated belly & I always have a parched mouth and ringing ears....but about half the time I feel rested in the day & the others I could just go right back to bed all with nothing I can consistently link to my night or data. I went to an ENT who once he saw my AHI blew me off as I wasn't a surgical candidate, nor would I support his suggestion of drugs for 2 good nights sleep over 7 sub-optimal ones.
My primary GP who is supposedly in charge, admitted he doesn't know enough to help and insisted I follow his orders to see a Pulmonologist. I finally saw a new one in the local practice and she also admitted she wasn't experienced enough to understand what might be going on or how to help, but she admitted I deserved a conversation with the head honcho who would know, but who isn't currently taking any new patients, but she put me on a list for when a cancellation comes up.

I have given up on having any real expectations from the professionals and just grateful & accepted that things are the best they can be for the time being. Jason has been a great help to me and so many. I'm happy to be where I am today which is much better than last year as at least I'm not pulling my hair out struggling & frustrated with expectations that seem to be created by paying attention to the data, my actual outcome & giving a hoot.

Good Luck to you and all working through this process. Thank You for asking and sharing as we all get to benefit.

Lauretta

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:06 pm
Site Admin

PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing

LaurettaK wrote:
I will be getting the Oracle mouth only mask eventually and that may add another option to my maskARAID
:lol: Oh man! You win the prize. "Maskaraid"! :D Clever!

Just curious Lauretta. Have you tried turning off your Aflex? Just curious is that would take care of the RERA clusters.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

LaurettaK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:33 am

Gosh, Can't believe I am just seeing your post now....Glad you liked my new term...MaskARaid......actually now I see the word MaskAfraid in it, too...which I'm sure is very relatable to many, as well.

I have come such a long way in my SA journey since first posting here & as you have shared, if things are going well, this isn't where one is spending their time so I am relieved and glad to share it HAS been a good while....especially after my rants and distress that you helped me off the edge from...

Since my old rants, I have somehow stumbled on a new machine, changing from my original, PRS1 to the ResMed AirSense 10, Auto set for Her, what a world of difference it has been for my treatment experience. I had been so appreciative of the improvements & trusted that I would eventually work through the rest of the fine details....

I did get the Oracle and It pushed too much on my front teeth and I haven't been willing to trade sleep for adjustment time. The Mirage, which was my halftime mask with the Simplus (which still damages my nose bridge, but I'm managing with moleskin for now) doesn't seem to work so great with my new machine, I'm not sure what mask setting to use because there is not one for a hybrid.

I finally made it back to the neurologist who finally got my first real sleep study authorized in April, but was denied a titration...I was exited to report that my treatment overall was so much better with better numbers, less distress over leaks, less distrubances and upping my masked time from around 4 - 5 hrs a night up to 7....not all asleep but less not upset overall.

He reviewed my sd card & my updated daytime sleepiness scale which was about a 12 & said my pressures are not optimized, otherwise I would be better during the day. He had done blood work after my initial appt and said it showed I'm prediabetic which blew me away as my profile doesn't support that being the case at all...as neither did my neck size, bmi etc.

He explained that sleep apnea can increase your chance of diabetes and that I owed it to myself to make sure I got my treatment optimized. He shared that cortisol levels never balance without adequate sleep and create a viscious cycle.

Needless to say my bubble of coming so far in the almost 2 years on cpap now was deflated and now were back in crossing fingers that he can convince my insurance of the necessity of honing in on my correct settings, rather than rely on the autoset to guess within a range. Prior to switching machines and based on what I had learned about wasted treatment time getting into therapeutic range, I had self guessed and base on my sleepyhead #'s, set between 10 to 14. This time around, as I was comfortable and have less distressed nights, I just went with the full range of 5 to 15 with an average of about 12 showing on SH data.

I guess I can share that I am exited to think that my treatment if further fine tuned may actually get me feeling truly rested, clearheaded and gosh, maybe ever energetic.....and I'm grateful for the 6 month run of "better" and not resenting the new sleeping partner that joined my husband and I almost 2 years ago now......

Thank You again, Jason for everything you do for all of us here....If it wasn't for those who give a hoot most of us with sleep apnea would just be dismissed by those who are supposed to now better.

Bronty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:48 pm

PAP Mask: Many - Mask Collector, Currently Phillips Nuance Pro
PAP Machine: Many - Machine Collector, Currently ResMed AirCurve 10
Humidifier: Built-In Humidifier with Heated Hose/SoClean2/HurricaneDryer/MaskBright
Pressure Setting: IPAP(min) = 13, EPAP(min) = 6, PS = 4 PS cm H20

Anyone wearing a PAP mask for Halloween?

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:59 am
Site Admin

Bronty wrote:
Anyone wearing a PAP mask for Halloween?
:lol: Just one or the entire collection. I think the entire collection would cause a scare!

LaurettaK
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:48 am

Just wearing one alone could scare anyone whose never been exposed...

Be Aware of the maskArade.....Be warned of the MaskAfraid....that is, at least until you finally get your "formula" just right for you ...then enjoy finally being "Blown Away" into your the best sleep evA......(fingers crossed for everyone with SA to actually get to that point).......

...mine are as I FINALLY got my titration authorized and set for Sunday night after using my latest machine on auto for the last 6 months.....it will be interesting to see if a better tuned setting will actually reduce my current Epworth Sleep Scale and allow me to actually wake up feeling RESTED and all that follows that.....

and ultimately increase my restorative sleep & in turn, eventually decrease my risk of diabetes as evidenced in my bloodwork....Time alone will tell and if so, would truly give tangible confirmation that all the distress and commitment to get to this point was an awesome investment, overall.

Just BOOs this Halloween to ALL.....and no BooHoo's in this crazy MaskArade, after all....

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:25 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Hi, Marsh, I was wondering if you still like your Quattro Air FFM? I have a Simplus and have had leaking at the nose, too. I was looking at Jason's reviews on YouTube and reading other reviews, and I am leaning toward the Quattro Air. I hope you are feeling better than you were.

nicholasjh1
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:06 pm

TheLankyLefty wrote:
Hello!

Nice to hear from you.

I don't see leak data, but that doesn't seem to matter with regards to minimizing Sleep Disordered Breathing. You have practically no events.

The data looks extremely clean. My concern is : Why is the pressure ramping upt (increasing) so quickly when there are no events being seen?

My suspicion is that it's a big ol' leak and it has to increase that high to "catch up with" the leak.

The other issue (which is probably related to the above if my suspicions are correct) is why aren't you able to wear it longer. You look like your sleep is very well consolidated, but why is it coming off?

So to go back to your original post, I think the secret lies in controlling the leak. Have you tried a full face mask. This may be a nice thing to try. The mask isn't great for everyone, but the results are usually worth it when you wake up feeling rested.

Hi lanky,
I don't know about this machine, but my machine ramps up when it detects non-breathing, or snoring, which is separate from the AHI count which only counts OSA's of 10 seconds or above. So the ramping could be "eliminating" the episodes, while there are actual less then 10 second episodes.

Edit: NM saw your earlier post on this matter.

Last edited by nicholasjh1 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicholasjh1
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up Tired with CPAP  |  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 pm

TheLankyLefty wrote:
The Quattro FX is a horrible mask.

The Airfit F10 is a good one, similar in style, but better in design than the Quattro FX.

Nothing specifically for a small nose, but you may want to take a look at the ResMed Mirage Liberty. It is a full face mask, but the nose isn't covered. Instead there are nasal pillows. This may be of interest?

The Hybrid (I think it's owned by RespCare still) is a similar design to the Liberty.

I'll second that, as a small nose bridge user (massive eyeleak no matter how tight I go unless it's way too tight) I've tried many mask. Nasal pillows are the only ones that really worked for me. I deal with occaisonal mouth leak (even with a chin strap), but it's better than air shooting into my tear ducts randomly in the middle of the night.