id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:43 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

jb.sing
Unread post  Post subject: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:31 pm

PAP Mask: amara view,
PAP Machine: dreamstation a pap
Pressure Setting: 11

So I have used cpap for a little over three weeks now, since day one I have used the auto cpap all night long. AHI stays around 5 and doctor wont change settings saying it is too soon, and besides 5 and under is ok.

Suddenly the last two days, I have been congested and breathing through my mouth, find breathing with the mask on to be laborious, have taken it off for hours during the night.
It feels like an asthma attack when i have the mask on and I also felt like i was breathing very shallow, but the sleepyhead report did not show events. Pressure stayed between 6-8.

I tried raising humidity and that made it worse. I have been using saline rinse and sprays and keeping the equipment clean.

I find it interesting that the AHI is better the last two nights( between 3-4 ) while i felt worse in that i could no longer tolerate the therapy for the entire night. ( maybe because most of the events occur after i sleep and I can not fall asleep when all I do is work hard to breath, and can not even think about anything else until I get that mask off. )

I REALLY hate going to bed, and have to force myself to use cpap. especially the last few nights.

Will I get in trouble with insurance if i try to adjust settings myself ? I want to make this more tolerable.

I will be trying a new mask soon because it blows air into my eyes basically because it is too big but otherwise seems to work ok. Leaks is not a problem .

kodismine007
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:42 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed mirage fx for her
PAP Machine: Resmed aircurve 10
Humidifier: Built into resmed
Pressure Setting: Bipap 15 / 12

I think a mask change will definitely help you. Do you normally breath through your mouth? Or only when stuffed up?

jb.sing
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Generally I am a nose breather during the day , But i find with cpap it is easier to mouth breathe.
I did a little research just now and found an article that said warm air is harder to breathe. SO, it now all makes sense. It is harder to breath at night with the warm air humidification , and then when congested it is REALLY harder to breathe.

jb.sing
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:25 pm

Being sent to a sleep lab to find best pressure settings and to get a better idea of whats really going on. SO glad !

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:06 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Just saw several of your other posts about going back in for another study. I'm glad since it sounds like you're having more of a problem with air starvation than problems with humidification....though hot steamy air is how you're experiencing it.

I think you need more pressure, but the study will hopefully figure all of this out.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

jb.sing
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks, Jason.
I got a new mask, the extra small airfit for her ( i think) and what a difference that made . Much more comfortable than the amara view.
Still not a solution to all the issues but bit by bit it will get figured out.
More pressure makes sense to me, I bet the sleep lab confirms it!

Jessicarowe7136
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm new to the CPAP world. Just got my machine on 12/23/16. I've tried the wisp and the other PR nasal pillow mask. Both are dreadful to wear and both seem to make me breath more out of my mouth. Should I switch to the amara view or full mask? I'm a side sleeper that never really sleeps on my back and I'm lucky according to my tech I have a perfect nose for all mask so fitting isn't an issue.

jb.sing
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:03 pm

HI Jessica. It could be the mask but it also could be
that perhaps the settings are not optimal.There is a program called sleepyhead that allows you to transfer valuable information from the data card in the cpap device, to a computer. Then you can post a screenshot and some people around here , more experienced than I, will be able to give ideas.
http://sleepyhead.software.informer.com/

mbstone
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:09 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics WISP
PAP Machine: REMstar Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Included with REMstar Auto with A-Flex
Pressure Setting: Auto 6.0 - 16.0

[quote="jb.sing"]
Suddenly the last two days, I have been congested and breathing through my mouth, find breathing with the mask on to be laborious, have taken it off for hours during the night. It feels like an asthma attack when i have the mask on and I also felt like i was breathing very shallow, but the sleepyhead report did not show events. Pressure stayed between 6-8.

Being a mouth breather, did you try the Fisher & Paykel Oracle 452 appliance? My (ex) husband was a mouth breather using CPAP and the Oracle 452 really worked well for him. He had problems with drooling for the first few weeks, but eventually that settled down. He did have to move the humidifier all the way up to the highest setting, but this is something that worked for him.

Good luck and hope things work out for you.

jb.sing
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:47 am

I spent the night in the sleep lab .
I was not there long when he changed the c flex to 3 instead of 2,
This alleviated the "asthma" feeling I get.
Also he said the highest pressure he went to was 11, but this was during REM on my side. UNfortunately there was no REM while on back.
Soon I will get the doctors recommendations.

jb.sing
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:41 am

Well, that was quick. Doctor is changing the pressure to 11 and the c flex to 3 based on the techs report .
Sleep tech reported delayed REM and poor sleep efficiency even though all stages of sleep were acheived.
What is delayed REM ?

erelliott01
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:55 pm

I've have had my sleep disorder all of my adult life, I'm 50 yrs. Over the years I've had CPAP and now I have Bi PAP, My problem is when I was re diagnosed they gave me the Bi PAP, I said this time I will stick to program, but when I would use it I would wake up in the middle of the night with my throat feeling as dry as card board, also my stomach would be bloated. Needless to say I'm already not using any of my machines, but having these issues makes it hard for me to use them. I also use distilled water for my bi pap as I was told when I received it.
Has anyone been through this??

jb.sing
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

sorry you are having difficulties. Even though it took time , I did adjust.
Do you use humidification at all?
https://youtu.be/-65JWNBttnE
Here is a video on aerophaghia and cpap.
Hope it helps

Dreamwarrior2
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:15 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Ultra Mirage full face mask
PAP Machine: RemStar Pro 451P
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: 11 cmH20

jb.sing wrote:
So I have used cpap for a little over three weeks now, since day one I have used the auto cpap all night long. AHI stays around 5 and doctor wont change settings saying it is too soon, and besides 5 and under is ok.

Suddenly the last two days, I have been congested and breathing through my mouth, find breathing with the mask on to be laborious, have taken it off for hours during the night.
It feels like an asthma attack when i have the mask on and I also felt like i was breathing very shallow, but the sleepyhead report did not show events. Pressure stayed between 6-8.

I tried raising humidity and that made it worse. I have been using saline rinse and sprays and keeping the equipment clean.

I find it interesting that the AHI is better the last two nights( between 3-4 ) while i felt worse in that i could no longer tolerate the therapy for the entire night. ( maybe because most of the events occur after i sleep and I can not fall asleep when all I do is work hard to breath, and can not even think about anything else until I get that mask off. )

I REALLY hate going to bed, and have to force myself to use cpap. especially the last few nights.

Will I get in trouble with insurance if i try to adjust settings myself ? I want to make this more tolerable.

I will be trying a new mask soon because it blows air into my eyes basically because it is too big but otherwise seems to work ok. Leaks is not a problem .

I have noticed that my AHI level doesn't seem to reflect how well I feel the following day either, I've had AHI reading below 1 in the past and felt terrible the following
day but also had days where I've had a higher than usual AHI and felt pretty decent in comparison to usual.

coachtressa
Unread post  Post subject: Re: dreading and avoiding bed due to cpap  |  Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:17 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DREAM WEAR FULL FACE MASK
PAP Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10
Pressure Setting: BIPAP 5-10

I have had a CPAP machine for a month now, I cant do it for more then 3 hours at a time and I end up taking it off. I am on my 3rd mask and I am completely frustrated and want to give up every using this damn machine, I am getting less sleep now then I was before I started using machine.All 3 masks are uncomfortable. HELP!!!