id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Dealing with the bad days
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:34 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Dreamwarrior2
Unread post  Post subject: Dealing with the bad days  |  Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:10 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Ultra Mirage full face mask
PAP Machine: RemStar Pro 451P
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: 11 cmH20

I'm constantly tired and feel like crap however occasionally I'll have some really bad days where being awake will feel
like a massive chore because the tiredness will be causing me some level of pain but I'll be unable to get back to sleep
or won't want to sleep more because it would ruin my sleep schedule.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has really bad days and considering I have mild sleep apnea I'd guess a lot of people
here get a lot more of these painful days than I do.

How do you deal with the days where you find it painful to be awake? I seem to be experiencing a lot of them
lately because I have a cold and I suspect it's making my CPAP treatment ineffective.

I find alcohol helps to some degree but I don't really want to get into a habit of relying on it because it will be bad
for my health and wallet, does anyone have any more practical solutions?

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Dealing with the bad days  |  Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in this forum that alcohol makes the sleep apnea worse, so maybe even though you "only" have mild sleep apnea, the alcohol is making it more like severe OSA.
Are you getting a full night's sleep? Are you making it all night with the mask on and not a lot of leakage?
I'm sorry you're struggling. I just got over a really bad cold myself. It started within my first week of starting treatment, but I felt better than I had previously, even with my cold.
Hope you get well soon, and that you get more answers.

Dreamwarrior2
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Dealing with the bad days  |  Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:00 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Ultra Mirage full face mask
PAP Machine: RemStar Pro 451P
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: 11 cmH20

cindyY wrote:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in this forum that alcohol makes the sleep apnea worse, so maybe even though you "only" have mild sleep apnea, the alcohol is making it more like severe OSA.
Are you getting a full night's sleep? Are you making it all night with the mask on and not a lot of leakage?
I'm sorry you're struggling. I just got over a really bad cold myself. It started within my first week of starting treatment, but I felt better than I had previously, even with my cold.
Hope you get well soon, and that you get more answers.

I try to avoid alcohol close to bed time and even when I have had it late I haven't noticed it making my sleep any worse personally.
I probably average about 8-9 hours sleep a night while wearing the mask and I've adapted to it pretty well by now, although I do
find it a little uncomfortable to sleep on my side wearing it.

I don't feel like I'm getting much leakage but then again I have my mask pretty tight in order to prevent this and for all I know
this could be having a negative effect on my sleep even though I'm used to it by now.

I haven't had a GOOD nights sleep now since around early November, it's pretty depressing because my life has been completely
on hold and I haven't left the house for leisure since christmas time and even that was more of an obligation than a choice.
I'm trying to lose weight hoping that will have some effect on my sleep apnea and I have lost a bit but without knowing if and when it will work it really kills
my motivation and I find myself turning to comfort foods to try and cope with feeling terrible all the time.

The annoying thing is that I know if I was a healthy weight now and not suffering from sleep apnea I would be able to keep the weight off or at the very
least keep most of it off because I wouldn't be comfort eating and I'd be capable of exercising more.

nicholasjh1
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Dealing with the bad days  |  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Not sure what mask you have, but since I have a sensitivity to silicone, and because nasal pillows are the only thing that real work for me (every single full nose, or full face mask leaks into my eyes because of my strangely shaped nose bridge), I use moleskin on the nasal pilllows and it vastly lowers leakage... I can wear it losser, and even when there is a little leakage it's so diffused by the moleskin that it doesn't bother me.

I know what you mean about alcohol, sometimes it feels like a sleep better, probably because I'm relaxed enough not to be woken by minor mouth leak and things like that. but ultimately I have found better sleep by tweaking my mask and, chin strap, and pressure. uping my pressure decreased AHI overall and ramping events, which overall resulted in less wakeups. Preventing OSA's in my experience is better than treating them. Treating them for me often results in arousal, preventing them with a higher starting pressure tends to result in better sleep. that's me of course... I don't seem to have any stomach air/aerophagia issues.