id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - This is forever!
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:23 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: This is forever!  |  Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 pm

PAP Mask: Amara
PAP Machine: Dreamstation apap
Humidifier: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 5 to 10 cmH20

After I received my equipment last Thursday I made a comment to the tech on the order of " I guess this forever" and she replied "Yes it is".

It hit me today that having to do this the rest of my life is kinda daunting. I know the alternatives are alot worse !

Who on this forum has been doing cpap for a good while?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:33 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

It's no more daunting than taking medication everyday, it's much less daunting than having to spend hours, three times a week hooked up to a dialysis machine, or many MANY other things that people have to do to live.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:39 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

It's been 8 years for me and I just turned 65.
So I hope I have to use it for another 35 years. I want to hit 100.

I have a friend who has been on cpap for well 25 years close to 30 I think...he's in his mid 80s now and going strong.

And yes..putting a little mask on at night is nothing compared to what many other people have to do to stay alive and healthy.

Actually with time it becomes as routine as brushing one's teeth.
Just second nature and we don't even think about it that much.
But I do realize that when first starting out it can seem like a gigantic mountain to climb.

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'm being a weenie! I've been on my share of medication! Ive had two back surgeries and lengthy recoveries for both of them. I am curious to know what to expect long term using the cpap. The last 4 nights haven't been all that horrible . I just wish I had been diagnosed years ago since my sleep has been lousy since I can remember and I'm 57 years old.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Sleepycycler wrote:
I am curious to know what to expect long term using the cpap.

Expect... the future, you've got a better chance of having one now than you had before.

I've also been at this since '09, and haven't missed a single night since I got the machine, I felt so much better after the first night.

Like anything in life, there'll be better nights, and worse nights, but with help from the people here, you can make the best of it, tune the machine to best fit your needs, get better sleep, and thus get better life.

Think about it this way, you've got to do this, likely, for the rest of your life... you spend a couple minutes, put on a mask, and go to sleep, then take it off when you wake up.

It really doesn't seem that much of a burden, when you think about it like that, eh?

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:13 am

Thank you for the encouragement! I do feel much better. I don't want to lie down and nap as I did before. I'm more relaxed as well. Im holding my breath because I dont want it to be a placebo effect type of thing.

My sleep has been an issue for years. My wife used to say she had never seen anyone as tired all the time as me.

I'm looking forward to the future now. If I keep feeling as well as I do now I will be very happy! Thank you again!

trish6hundred
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:39 pm

PAP Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
PAP Machine: Resmed S9AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: H5I
Pressure Setting: Titrated Pressure is 10 CM-H2O, I use a range of 7/20 CM-H2O.

Hi Sleepycycler,
, I started CPAP therapy in 2008 and I took to it very well and haven’t missed a night, I even use it for naps, which are rare.
Just stick with it, it gets better over time.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

I find that not waiting until bedtime to make sure I have water ready for my humidifier, reassemble my mask, etc. helps to make the NEW bedtime ritual more like the OLD bedtime ritual. In that way it is easier for me to adapt and less daunting a thought that this is, indeed, forever.

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:56 am

Hi cindyY! Yeah, the doc said that my 'sleep hygiene' needed work. I agree with you that getting all the equipment ready puts me in sleep mode.

I am feeling really good. I had a medical procedure yesterday and usually I would toss and turn because I get too wound up and not sleep at all. But I put on my gear and actually slept. Which is amazing for me.

I'm very thankful to the folks on the forum for making this easier. Using the cpap isn't really all that bad!

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 pm

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

"Forever" with my sweet sleepytime machine--not bad at all!
I think of all the sleep I lost in the decades before my diagnosis,
and I feel just a tad bitter. Life could have been better--but it is NOW,
and that is what matters.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

We need a like button. Sometimes I just want to like a post because I agree with it, but don't have anything to add to it.

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Well, it's been 5 weeks and you all were right ! It's not quite routine yet but it has become part of my life. I can do this!
I'm taking steps to make it more comfortable thanks to the helpful information from the amazing people on this forum. I am looking forward to my future rather than dreading it!

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:19 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear
PAP Machine: ResMed airsense 10 autoset
Humidifier: Heated built in
Pressure Setting: 12

I have only been on for a week but I seem to be one of the lucky ones. I have not really felt too burdened by it. I use it each time I nap, which is happening less and less, and moreover, I actually look forward to it. Everytime I slide it on, I know I am about to get some hella good sleep, and its almost like my body knows becuase instead of being all awake for like 2+ hours like I used to be while laying in bed, I go to sleep soooooooo much faster.

Honestly, the cleaning in the morning is the worst part, and it takes just a few minutes, and since I have been using it, I wake up a lot earlier anyways so I have the free time. Sounds like your doing well now and I hope it keeps getting much better.

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This is forever!  |  Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:24 pm

My naps are disappearing too!
Your symptoms were just like mine!
I feel great !
My family is beginning to notice!