id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - New to cpap.
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:38 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:51 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

If your nose is really stuffed up, give each side a shot or two of generic afrin. that'll open things up and let you sleep.

A very clever ENT told me, years ago, that you can continue to use afrin for a month or more *IF YOU ONLY USE IT ONCE A DAY*

If you use it "as directed" (every 12 hours) you quickly become dependent on it, and suffer really bad rebound congestion. However, only using it once a day, just before bed, doesn't cause that dependency, likely because of the 12 hours a day you're not using it, gives your nose time to get back to normal.

A trick, if you've gotten dependent on it, is to stop using only on one side, keep using it on the other side of your nose till the first side clears, then stop using on the second side.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:23 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Or you can get a saline nasal rinse, such as NeilMed, or use a neti pot with a saline rinse. Use that a couple hours before bed to give your nose time to drain. And yes, heated humidity helps with nasal congestion, I had a really bad cold after first starting therapy and I was able to breathe through my nose with no problem using it.

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:28 am

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

As for the itchy nose, there is a trick I learned from having my leg in a cast. When you can't scratch an itch, it can often be meditated away. Concentrate on the itchy feeling. Be aware of its size, shape, location, and specific nature of the itch. Try not to be bored--oops! What itch?

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear
PAP Machine: ResMed airsense 10 autoset
Humidifier: Heated built in
Pressure Setting: 12

I will have to try that itch thing, although it is getting less and less of a problem now that I am getting used to it. And I do have a netipot and I love it. But if I get too clogged up, it does nothing since it cant' flow. And this congestion just came out of nowhere. I really do think it had to do with the storm that was coming in at the time. And as for nose spray I have some prescription stuff I use when I need to, but it was doing nothing for me that night, and that is odd, normally the stuff works like some sort of harry potter magic.

I am absolutely loving my cpap. I wish I had done this long ago. Oh my god, it is amazing. Only thing I need now is a backup mask in case I can't get my nose unstuffed one night. Because I am gonna be honest. When I thought I was not going to be able to use my machine that night, I was like, I am not even gonna bother sleeping, looks like I will play fallout 4 until morning when I have to go to work. LOL.