id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - New to cpap.
FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:52 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear
PAP Machine: ResMed airsense 10 autoset
Humidifier: Heated built in
Pressure Setting: 12

Ok. So I am new to this. Only slept two nights on it. As far as mask and everything goes. I am doing great. Thanks to the la my left vids I found a mask on the first try that I am loving. My question is what should I expect. So far. I still feel tired. But I mean bad sleep for years will do that. I don't however feel near as exhausted. And that's amazing. I feel like I can think a bit more clearly already. I also noticed even in just two days I wake up HUNGRY. And that's just weird to me. I have read some people say that as my body startes healing I will feel a bit off and sore maybe and hungry. Anyone also have that comment so far?

Seriously though. I am loving this cpap already. Feel asleep so much easier the second night and went from ahi of 47 to 0 the first both an .2 the second. And the second I had decided to try sleeping on my back. Something I have not been able to do for years. It was amazing.

So long story short. Any advice or thoughts or personal experience. I am still sorting through so much material and many forums and there is just an overwhealming amount of info and it seems everyone has a different journey.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:34 am

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Seems like you are doing great...Don't change a thing unless you determine a problem. Fill in your equipment profile so others can see what equipment you are using.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:59 am

Excellent idea. Added.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 pm

And I meant to say theLankyLeft vidoes, but I guess my phone autocorrected to whatever mess that was about.

Third night in, I barely notice the mask already. and as for turning over in my sleep, the mask while it seems like it would pop off easy, is actually very forgiving.

I still feel tired, but what I don't feel is this overbearing urge to close my eyes and pass out. And that alone is amazing as I am sure many of you know. I am also getting the urge to do non-essential things, like my hobbies I had before sleeping was my life. I am liking this new feel.

Only down side is my nose is a bit sore, but I assume that will probably go away in time. I have always had a delicate little nose LOL. never liked it being touched. but, the weird thing is, I only notice it being sore during the day, does not bother me at all during the night.

Alslo, anytime I can't touch my nose it seems like it wants to itch LOL. Does that go away after a while, I know it is just something in my head because there is no reason for it, but, I hope that at some point my mind will get used to the idea that my nose is off limits while I am trying to fall asleep, which is alreaddy getting easier and faster each night.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:05 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Yeah, I'm about 6 months in and my nose still itches from time to time, especially if I am wearing a nasal cushion instead of the nasal pillows. I didn't get the waking up hungry thing, but I definitely know what you mean about having the energy for doing non-essential things. Sounds like you are doing great, the tiredness should go away, just give it time. If you haven't downloaded SleepyHead yet, give it a thought, you can track your own therapy daily, or just looking at it if you have a bad night is helpful.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Many people have found the 'nose itch' thing to be because of nose hair, even if it's otherwise quite fine, the air blowing around in the mask cases movement, and the primitive brain thinks "there's something wrong there! SCRATCH IT!" ...

Funny thing, it never feels like there's an itch IN my nose, just on or near it.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:36 pm

@cindy, I just got sleepyhead a couple hours ago after I made that last post, and looked at what I have so far, looks really good I think.

@diamaunt, Yeah, its always on the outside, but all three nights I have fallen asleep faster, and woken up less, at least, less that I remember each night. I keep wanting to wake up before my alarm even, but I sleep more anyways.

I did enable the smartstart on my machine, not sure why they did not enable it to start, but it just seems a nice touch so that I can just grab my mask when I am ready to sleep, but it on and start breathing and it just works LOL.

I wanted to take a nap today when i got off work, but I now think I am going to actively avoid naps, so I can get myself back into a regular sleep routine.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 pm

I am curious, according to the data, I have had no obstructive events, but 2 non-obstructive events in the same night. That is the night I decided to try laying on my back. I guess those are called central hypopneas? Is it known why cpap can cause those ? I have been reading around and it seems that a lot of sources say higher pressures can cause them, but nothing I can find says why.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:59 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

While higher pressures can trigger centrals in some people there are more people using higher pressures and not having any issues with centrals than those that do have issues.

It's actually normal for us to have an occasional central apnea happen and it doesn't mean anything bad nor anything that we really have to worry about.

It's normal to have what is called a sleep onset central or sleep stage transition central. Centrals aren't a problem unless present in large numbers or causing desats.

Also sometimes the central isn't a real central meaning it might be just an irregularity in the breathing that the machine mistakes for a central.
Like maybe a person turns over in bed and holds their breath briefly while turning over and they probably don't even realize that they are pausing their breathing.

So don't worry about an occasional central here and there...it's normal and not a big deal. Now if you start seeing 4 or 5 centrals every hour and every night....then we starting worrying.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:51 am

That makes me feel a lot better.

Well, another night of good sleep behind me. This is my first day off since I got the machine. normally I would sleep until noon and wake up with a headache. I found it hard to force myself to sleep until 7, and of course no headache.

So far the only thing I am not liking about the machine is actually not about the machine at all. The software that rates my sleep and reports it back, I lose points if I sleep less than 7 hours, and honestly, I don't think I will keep up this 7-8 hour sleeping thing, I have NEVER slept that long, even with my sleep apnea except on days off and that just because I would keep going back to sleep. For as long as I can remember, 5 hours has always been a solid number for me. I would always wake up after that and be good to go. Now, back before I was fat and was not suffering from this so much, I would wake up after 5 hours and literally just jump out of bed, literally, I mean literally, and hit the ground running. I was that morning person. Now I still seem to never actually *want* to sleep more than 5 hours but I am not a morning person. I do sleep more than 5 hours on my days off because I am always tired and too tired to want to get up to do anything, but I still wake up. So, I dunno, guess I will talk to my doc about the scoring system on that or something.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

That MyAir software scoring system is rather sophomoric IMHO.
It's designed to give patients a pat on the back and encouragement.
If you are sleeping good and feeling good...what difference does it make if your sleep scores aren't 100%.

If your sleep score was 100% and you felt like crap and slept like crap...how much help would they be? It's just a number and that's all it is and a number by itself doesn't mean much.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:16 am

I figure its what my insurance will go on. But I am not sure it matters. I have to change insurance at the end of the year, and my insurance was gonna do the rent to own as they all do, but when my DME called them, they told the DME I would only be covered until the end of the year, so they would just buy all the equipment outright so I didn't have to deal with payments afterwards. I felt so happy. I was stressed and already looking for used craigslist machines. The DME I have charges way more than you can buy them online for, but on the same token, I did like how when I went in they explained everything to me, walk me through the whole machine and actually had me go through and change all the settings I am 'allowed' to so that I would know how to do it in the future. Seemed really awesome compared to some other DME horror stories I have read around here. They explain to me all future costs, she even made a hand list of prices of things I would need after my insurance ran out, and told me all the things I could come back and get before my insurance ran out just to make sure I was as set as I could possibly be. I was very very happy with them in that regard.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:12 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

All your insurance cares about is usage, not effectiveness. the only people that use the 'myair' are the users, like yourself... doctors and DMEs get much more data.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:44 am

Yeah, the sleepyhead program shows so much data, I need to learn how to put all that together.

I have a gnarly pimple under my nose where the mask goes. I assume its normal at first for your skin to not like the mask being there all night. Hope it goes away cuz man this pimple hurts, so red and sore LOL.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:59 pm

So far today, I must say. I am feeling legitimatly better. I went for a very long walk yesterday, which was really pushing my limits, but it felt good that I actually could do it. I am feeling much less tired. More motivated. Way less irritable. Really been craving protein. I did just get a soda and honestly, its like I can taste it more, and I am not sure I like what I taste. I dunno if that's a thing. But, I hope so, I need to stop my soda addiction. Way less sugar cravings. Like, I seem more hungry, but the thought of sugar, or junk, or pancakes (god bless pancakes) all just seem, icky right now. But a good burger or a roast sounds amazing. I think my body is trying to tell me something. LOL.

Anyone else here ever have any of that ? Is it connected or just random?

Suckitfool
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:25 pm

I’ve got a solution to your hunger prob...actually, I have nothing of value to add here. (edited by LankyLefty because the original post was a violation of common sense and dietary needs....and I'm saving the poster from themselves. To "Mr. Suck". I'll be your "social training wheels" for a little while. You're welcome...)

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Not the way I expected you to show up but glad to see ya here. This whole new world to me and your vids have helped me immensely. I think I surprised them at the DME. Thanks so much for all your hard work. It has truest helped me.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Oh. And as for the hater. Haters are gonna hate. And it did not escape my notice that they made an account just to hate lol.

And as to not make a crazy third post in a row. I am still feeling better everyday. This feels almost crazy to be feeling better than I have in suck a long time. I wonder if we could get a thread topic where we could post like a journal about our progress and troubles. Sort of like I have been here but didecatwd to it. This seemed like the best topic I could have chose for it. If I need to move it elsewhere. I am happy too. :).

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Ugh. Tonight my nose is stuffed and I can't seem to clear it. Gonna have to sleep without Allison. That's what I have named my cpap machine. And this makes me sad. I love her lol. Need to put getting a full face mask on the list of todo.

kaoshavoc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New to cpap.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:23 am

All went well. I did some looking online and found that if you crank the heat up and the humidity, that it can help clear up the congestion. Success. I think it was allergies from the storm that was rolling in.