id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Need Tips for My Appointment with the DME Tomorrow!
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:45 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

RudyGeorge45
Unread post  Post subject: Need Tips for My Appointment with the DME Tomorrow!  |  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:14 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Elite
Humidifier: Integrated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 9

Tomorrow I have my appointment with the DME to get my cpap machine. Since I am living in Ontario, Canada, getting an apap machine is impossible due to the Assistive Devices Program stringent requirements about who is elgible for an apap machine. What tips can you give me that will help me with the appointment tomorrow. What questions should I be asking to the sleep therapist?

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Tips for My Appointment with the DME Tomorrow!  |  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:43 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal
PAP Machine: Dreamstation APAP
Humidifier: Attached to Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 6 - 15

It's a good question for your sleep doctor and the DME: ask them. Otherwise ask to see a good assortment of masks. Tell them if you're a mouth breather. Try several masks carefully and don't be rushed. If the mask you choose has different-sized components (like the Dreamwear masks) try everything there. Or else insist on being given the whole trial kit so you can experiment at home. Make sure the frame fits just right. If something feels weird don't take it for granted: ask if this is correct, or something that will go away as you get used to it, or if it's something you know will make you crazy. When it comes to the machine, ask every question that pops into your mind, none are stupid! Don't leave until you're sure how to operate it.

I didn't have a bad experience per se, but wish I'd been more carefully fitted; it took longer than it needed to get used to my mask, because I didn't insist on certain things. At one point I had to insist to my DME that my mask was indeed a size Medium, no matter what they had on record (they had me down for a small, and when I got that finally fixed it made a huge difference).

Listen to them, but don't be afraid to be an advocate for yourself!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Tips for My Appointment with the DME Tomorrow!  |  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

It's not impossible to get an APAP capable machine...you just have to tell them exactly what you want.

See the discussion over on another forum about this very situation.
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1745 ... eight.html

For some reason the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her (which is an apap capable machine) is on the "CPAP" list and you can get it and have the program pay their share. Has to be that specific model though.

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Tips for My Appointment with the DME Tomorrow!  |  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Pugsy, why a specific machine for women? Looking this up and not finding much other than women's sleep apnea is different. Is there a site that explains why? Much thanks.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Tips for My Appointment with the DME Tomorrow!  |  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:15 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

celestemcc wrote:
Pugsy, why a specific machine for women? Looking this up and not finding much other than women's sleep apnea is different. Is there a site that explains why? Much thanks.

Maybe you just didn't look enough?

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... orithm.pdf

celestemcc
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Tips for My Appointment with the DME Tomorrow!  |  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks, Pugsy, I did look and did not find this particular item; most of what I found was from the manufacturers themselves. Much appreciated!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need Tips for My Appointment with the DME Tomorrow!  |  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:19 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

ResMed elected to target market the for Her model machine.
Yes, sometimes women's needs are different than a man's needs but not always. I am female...I can do quite well on the regular auto adjusting algorithm and did so for years and years before ResMed came out with the special auto adjusting algorithm.

And there's no monopoly with only females benefiting from the special algorithm either. A guy could just as easily have the same sort of needs.

The AirCurve 10 AutoSet has 2 modes of operation...cpap mode and the apap/auto adjusting mode.
To get it in Canada is a PITA with lots of hurdles and costs more money.

The AirCurve 10 AutoSet for Her has 3 modes of operation.
The same 2 that the regular autoset has (cpap and apap) plus an additional 3rd apap mode with a different algorithm for the auto adjusting response. In Ontario for some reason this machine is listed as a cpap machine and is a covered machine without the hurdles and without the extra cost.
It's a no brainer to get it....it's like 3 machines in one.
Now you may or may not need or want that special for Her algorithm but it hurts nothing to have it available.
Always better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Read up on it...here's the clinical manual.
https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf