id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Ideas For Telling Family
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:59 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:10 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

Hey folks,

I have an upcoming family reunion this summer. We're all going to be staying over at my sister's place and probably sharing rooms and sleeping on cots or air mattresses. So I'll probably get caught with my CPAP and have to explain it. I'm worried that they are all going to think, "Oh Billy has really let himself go," and stage an intervention or something. And I just know they are going to get really snoopy. As they are unfamiliar with it, they might worry that it's more serious than it really is, like emphysema or lung cancer or something and I need oxygen.

I could go without it, but I know that if I do, I will feel like I got hit by a truck and I want to be able to enjoy my time there with family. I'm not too worried about bothering people with the noise as my Dreamstation is pretty quiet.

I was just wondering if you guys had any tips or ideas for what I could say about it if I get caught, or if and how I should bring it up with people, and what I can say to explain it so that they don't worry.

How did you guys bring it up with family?

Thanks in advance.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:34 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Going without would be stupid.

You're making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

"I've got sleep apnea, this lets me sleep and get rest." if they want more tell them that sleep apnea is a greatly underdiagnosed problem, and lots of poeple have it that don't know it.

Or, just tell them "It keeps me from snoring so YOU can sleep".

audihere
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 pm

PAP Mask: F10 Full Face
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Heated hose Resmed
Pressure Setting: 10-16

Maybe by bringing it up, a relative will realize they may need one also.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:37 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

I'd definitely bring it up. It does run in families, so mentioning it may spark a conversation in people that will get them treated. It can also bring on the discussion of, "sleep apnea is fake."

In this case refer them to "your favorite" YouTuber and the video on the subject: https://youtu.be/UZxiyNFQkKc

Have fun!

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:58 am

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

diamaunt wrote:

You're making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

"I've got sleep apnea, this lets me sleep and get rest." if they want more tell them that sleep apnea is a greatly underdiagnosed problem, and lots of poeple have it that don't know it.

Or, just tell them "It keeps me from snoring so YOU can sleep".

Maybe you're right and it's not that big a deal. I just know though that one particular(ly snoopy) family member is going to freak out and worry that I'm going to keel over and die at any moment.

Trying to sell it as an anti-snoring device might be a good idea, as they all know I snore loudly a lot.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:04 am

BillyHW wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

I just know though that one particular(ly snoopy) family member is going to freak out and worry that I'm going to keel over and die at any moment.

"You're right to be concerned, if I DON'T use this machine, then the chances of my dying in my sleep are much greater, aren't you glad I'm using it?"

BillyHW wrote:
Trying to sell it as an anti-snoring device might be a good idea, as they all know I snore loudly a lot.

Look around at your family... anybody take pills for anything? anybody have a cane? Anybody wear glasses?

Do THEY have to "sell" it to everybody else? CPAP is just basically glasses for your lungs.

Hammock
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:27 pm

PAP Mask: Resperonics Easylife Nasal Mask
PAP Machine: REMstar Auto A-Flex - DS560
Humidifier: Not using.
Pressure Setting: I don't actually know...

When I first got the machine, I was single and dating. Imagine how awkward it was to say: "Hey, if you don't mind, I'm gong to hook up this machine and strap this thing to my face so I can sleep tonight."

But the minute I said "It keeps me from snoring", all was well!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Hammock wrote:
But the minute I said "It keeps me from snoring", all was well!

:D Magic words ;)

If it doesn't keep you from snoring, it's not working right (just in case anybody wonders)

Daniel Gagner
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:48 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Respironics Dreamstation 500
Humidifier: respironics
Pressure Setting: 9=13

Ha! When I got mine I posted on my webpage and sent it to my family and friends mail list. I explained what it was and how to know if they suspect they have apnea. I received a few emails letting me know that they have had a machine for awhile (I never knew) and a few who wanted to know more because their spouses were worried about how they only breathed half the time and sounded like freight trains when sleeping. Whodathunk!

Don't worry about it. Be knowledgable. To those who wonder 'what you've got', you can explain and show them how you've mitigated the conditions. Others there will ask questions to find out what they can do about it.
When people find out that it causes enlarge heart, BP, white matter on the brain, long term memory issues, etc. They'll want to know.

And everyone else will just find it interesting....and let it go.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:24 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

If you don't want to bring it up with everybody there, just let your "roommate" know that you have this machine that keeps your airway open while you sleep, hope it doesn't bother you. Maybe take a new pair of earplugs to give to them telling them just in case the machine or your mask venting bothers them. Be nonchalant about it and nobody should freak out. This is your family, they should be happy for you, not judgy.

I had to tell my mother last year when we went to visit her, she is judgy, but she took it well, for her.

Suzanne73
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Ideas For Telling Family  |  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:10 am

PAP Mask: AirFit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10
Humidifier: HumidAir and heated tubing
Pressure Setting: Not sure.

Hi… I’m brand new here, (first post in fact) and very new to the CPAP world. Just about 3 weeks. My first thoughts were… OMIGOD I hafta wear one of those ungodly masks every night and the “shame” of it because I initially thought I brought it all on myself because of obesity. Then I remembered my mother before she passed from COPD. She often would go without her O2 because she didn’t want anyone to think she was disabled. I thought back then… My God, what part of not being able to breathe aren’t you understanding?? And the price she paid for her vanity. I realized I was on the verge of the same slope… soooo instead I owned it. They’re my lungs and they need help at night. It’s as simple as that. It’s still kinda weird putting on my mask in front of my spouse, but I’m getting over that too… Frankly, I rather like letting go of my previous love/hate relationship with the night, the tossing and turning and waking countless times to getting decent sleep every night I use the CPAP. Tell?? Or don’t tell… but I’m betting your family cares about you enough to be very supportive of it and may even say they might look into a sleep study for themself… That’s what my sister did.