id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for 2nd
FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:21 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

mumin50
Unread post  Post subject: First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for 2nd  |  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:51 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed N30i
PAP Machine: Resmed A10 AutoSense
Humidifier: standard came with machine
Pressure Setting: 5-12

Hi All... first post... and preparing for my second night...

First sorry for my English ... i'm Polish living in Germany

I just registered to say that i had great day :) and i say Yours can be great to... Don't give up!!!

Everybody is writing about there nights, how bad it was, i write about my day and it was great after CPAP.
So lets start...
Why no doctor or sleep tech is giving enough information? not going thru settings of your machine? not say nothing about how it really is?
They could help You if they at least would try! So Help Yourself read before go to them...

I was scared when i went to my provider and i had my mask on for the first time. Lady tech just took mask out of box connect tubing, put it on my face and turned on mask fit. I felt like s!@t in that moment. I was thinking i will newer be able to use it, that i choke in my sleep with longs full of air not able to breath out. I was angry as hell, but in that moment i realized i was looking on youtube and read some info about machine i was getting. I directly asked for settings for starters like me and how to start slowly. Like extra wheels for bicycle when learning to ride. Tech said "a... Yes there are some, let me turn them on for You...". Mask on my face for second time... OMG I could exhale again. Just by setting exhale pressure 1cm lower was great difference, turned on auto start and auto ramp, and (!!!) explained how it works - Perfect. But if i would not asked it would be "here You are and have fun, this is what your dos prescribed". At this moment I realized i have to ask for everything. I even got for my resmed a10 side closing panel if i travel without humidifier and slim tubing.

At home prepared for sleep. My advise first put your mask on 1h before sleep and run it on ramp auto (if You have that option). I have Resmed n30i mask so i just watched some movie on Netflix. Then i just felt sleepy and without doing nothing on machine just fell asleep. I even did't fell when it ramp up. Second word of advise if Your mask has more fitting parts for different nose sizes like resmed n30i, TRY THEM ALL... According to fitting guide i should use medium, but i put it on and could't breathe and my nose was painful after 15m. Even if straps was loose, so i checked small - perfect fit :) And keep straps loose, adjust fit on mask fitting option running,and fine-tune one strap at the time. Air pressure will push it on Your face or nose as hover craft pillow on ground :P

So I sleep for 7h, woke only twice when i turned and mask started to leak and when i felt that high pressure tried to open my mouth (changed sleep position and pressure went down). AHI 3.96, no idea if good, but went down from 74 (yes you read good 74) i had in my sleep study.

So in morning direct positive things:
- No dry mouth or throat (i slept before with open mouth, now no more)
- No morning cough to clean my throat from dry saliva, and nothing to spit out
- Minimal or no snoring at night (wife checked 2 time)
Negative :
- not sure if negative, i felt my lungs... no pain, felt like they are there, went away after 1h.

Now things what i felt thru my day (probably placebo effect but that was really how i felt)
- strange effect in my head, like empty... normal... :) , no headache today (last days had some full scale migraine, and minor pain)
- Way less zombie :mrgreen:
- more power, or should i say more willingness to do something.
- less tired when driving, what was really bad lately...
- had better mood.

I know it is to early to say "it is so perfect, i love it, It works", but i really did fell something working there.
And to all people asking ...Yes You will hear Yourselves breathing when on CPAP.
So i'm writing this post already with my mask on. And wish You all Good Sleep.
Marcin

SkinnyFemale
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for  |  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:58 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear Nasal Cushion
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: Currently pressure 7 to 12

Congratulations on being a quick learner. I suffered for months before getting it right. You learned quickly that you have to be an advocate for yourself. It seemed to me that they don't want you to know anything. They give you a machine with settings and that's it. For me it was horrible until I started educating myself.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for  |  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Congratulations.
Some lucky people do take to this therapy like a duck to water and it sounds like you are one of those people.

I am very happy for you.

mumin50
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:26 am

@SkinnyFemale - exactly. I know already one person that stop with CPAP just because lack of help... just after 3 nights.
@Pugsy - i think fear is great motivation, when You everyday have migraine headache, fell like a zombie, loosing energy and willingness to do anything, You start to realize DO or DIE... And it is slow death, day by day. I hope damage for my body is still not so bad and i can go back to old me ;)

Second night after me.
Was worse this time, but that was my fault, i waited with supper to long and eat 60min before falling asleep. What was way to late. I also set humidifier to high and air was feeling little warm, so i will dial it little less tonight back to values from last night. Tonight was 7h hours on machine.
Woke 1 time around 2am because of mask leak and could not fell asleep again for 1h.
Tonight AHI10 but most are centrals from time i was awake and could not find proper position to fell asleep again, and what i know it does not count. So it was probably ~8.
I think also some centrals are to be connected to mask leaks, as 1st night fad lekages of 3l/min and tonight 14-20l/min so i need to check my mask once more, and adjust it again.

So now mid day, felling good, no headache, less zombie, no cough.
Tonight Laser Tag day so i try to sweet and get tired before going to sleep. Post tomorrow.

Question should humidifier not get warm... i touch mine and it seams to be cold, i set it on level 5 and after pre-warming and 1h in usage was not warm at all, and i used maximal 100ml (half glass) of water max on setting 5. I will check tonight i pour 1 glass water in and check in morning how much is in morning.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:42 am

The humidifier has a little sensor in it and it measures the ambient humidity in the bedroom...and will adjust the heat to the humidifier part as needed to provide the adequate amount of moisture to the air (per whatever setting you have chosen) so the heater part can and will turn itself on and off throughout the night.

So depending on what your ambient humidity is in your house....yes it might feel warm at times and cold at times. Just depends on where in the cycle it might be.
Water consumption will vary from night to night also.
Ambient humidity varies...on the nights where the ambient humidity is higher the machine won't have to heat up and use as much water to maintain whatever level you have chosen.
On night's when things are maybe dry in the house...you might use up almost all the water.

I use a setting of 6 or 7....on the nights when it has been raining I might not use much water at all if I have the windows open.
Using a furnace in the winter and air conditioning in the summer...that dries the air in the house out ...and I might use up almost all the water and never change the humidifier setting.

Also...pressures used will affect water consumption...more pressure will use more water and leaks will affect water consumption.
Anything that causes more air to flow over the water in the chamber will increase water consumption.

I fill my water chamber every night. Sometimes it barely needs water and sometimes it nearly is empty....I try to always start out full though because if I run out of water during the night my nasal mucosa get mad at me because they don't like being dried out. They get even by giving me some nasty allergy like symptoms that I try to avoid.

I don't know if you got the heated hose or not with your AirSense...but if you did...that uncomfortably warm feeling might be hose air temp selection and not humidity selection.
So you can reduce the hose air temp and not have to mess with the humidity selection.

I keep the same constant humidity selection year round...but I do vary the hose air temp because that nice warm air in the winter doesn't feel so nice in the summer.
Winter I will use around 80 degrees hose air temp...in the summer down as low as I can go without condensation happening...so sometimes around 68 degrees or so. 80 feels good in my cold bedroom in the winter but way to warm in the summer.

mumin50
Unread post  Post subject: Day after APAP - Til now only good days - before 4th night  |  Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:21 pm

3rd day - just got back from another laser tag fun time... Was good day.

Night was OK, better than last one. Woke up 1 time... leakage again. In middle of the night changed from small nose piece to medium. It is less comfortable but i get less leaks. AHI 5.3 but from it also i see centrals that i was awake and some caused by leakage. Also i see that my device is getting high pressure like 11cm that causes my mask to leakage more and at end to wake me up.
After woke up i just changed to medium and slept again with stable pressure of 6-7. When no leakages pressure is stable. Total sleep 8.5h. I think i need other mask... with Philips Dreamware standard nose perhaps i get better seal.

Day was good, every day is getting better and better
+ woke up fully rested, stand up from bed in 2min after wake up (that was not a case for minimum 6mth i needed minimum 10min to be awaken fully)
+no headache today
+feeling like duracell bunny after battery change
+no mouth dryness and no morning cough (also was day by day for min last 6mth)
+now 10PM and i'm still not sleepy, even after 1h of intense laser tag

now negatives for today
- problems with leakages
- woke in night to adjust my mask

Still thinking is the best thing. If you read this and not sure if You should try it -YES YOU SHOULD, (for now) IT IS GREAT!!!
And if that is not good enough motivation YOU DIE WITHOUT IT

mumin50
Unread post  Post subject: Day after APAP - After long distance travel  |  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi All again,
Just came after 5 day work travel ~750km one way. How is CPAP in travel for noob like me? Was really ok!
Direct i see some minus points
-my cpap travel bag takes some space and adds 2kg to my bag
-hard to get water for my humidifier (i got boiled water and that was what my sleep tech said is best)
-Not always hotels have outlets near bed. (but power connector is fairly long on my A10 so also was no problem)
So as you see where is problem is a solution...

Now AHI from tonight 0.98!!! (other days 2.6, 6.3, 3.8, 2.77).
Still having trouble with mask. I need to make it tight to get proper seal, and that make my nose painful.
In between i had one light headache but was fast gone with just one paracetamol pill, but i think was weather related (40+ deg C and big summer storm).
So now biggest positives till now
+++no mouth dryness and no morning cough
++ no snoring
+ more power
Biggest negatives
---Mask leaks
-Waking up to adjust mask when leak

So yes CPAP on travel is possible even with standard Resmed A10. I think if you could go some nights without humidifier i would not take whole resmed bag.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for  |  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:25 am

You can actually used tap water or bottled water in the water chamber.
The reason distilled is recommended is because regular water has minerals in it that can leave behind mineral deposits on the walls of the water chamber....not the end of the world if this happens because those deposits are easily removed with some vinegar or lemon juice.

Boiling actually concentrates those minerals even more...so boiling water isn't recommended or even needed. General rule...if you can drink the water you can use it in the water chamber.

You are finding out what most of us have learned....mask issues are the most difficult part of this whole therapy.
Finding the right mask for our face and our preferences and then getting it to fit and seal and stay sealed.....the hardest part to this therapy.
It can take a lot of trial and error to get the mask part so that it doesn't annoy us.

becksteroh
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for  |  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:16 am

PAP Mask: Swift FX Nano Nasal, Nuance Pro Gel NP, Philips Wisp Nasal
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 autoset
Pressure Setting: 4-11 CM

I've been using a cpap machine for about 5 months now. My sleep study AHI was over 50 and now my 30 day average AHI is .24. I still have problems with mask leak, there are nights that if my mask starts bothering me I switch to a different mask. I recently purchased a Philips Wisp Nasal Mask and am getting good results with it.

I love my Airsense 10 machine and the myAir app. I track my score daily. I had problems in the beginning finding a mask that I liked, I've tried chin straps and mouthguards to help with mouth leak and I finally found something that works for me - the wisp mask & a snore collar.

Sleep Apnea, left untreated, can cause lots of health issues, including heart issues like AFIB. That's what happened to me. I was told to use my machine even if I take a nap.

I've learned so much from this forum!

mumin50
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Day after APAP - that was good day - preparing for  |  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Ok, time to summarize first/last 2 weeks.
All of You on the forum, You are great!
I can sleep again!. Of course now my fight with my insurance just begins as i want to get my dreamware mask. But that is another story.

My AHI stays for now below 2. Most problems what i see in Oscar are combined with leaks.
For now still only 1 minus - mask leaks. I wake up 1-2 times pro night to adjust. Rest is really ok. Resmed A10 is quiet, stopped snoring, more power/focus, less tired. So i try now to get dreamware mask...

IMO most important is self motivation...

mumin50
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First Day after APAP - that was good day - 2mth back  |  Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi all back afrer 2mth.
Was heavy time for me. Moving my apartment a ton of work. But I manage it... Probably thanks to CPAP...

so after few moths of sleap in mask i start to forget that i have it on. One time i woke up and was serching for mask that i had on my face...:)

AHI is betwen 0.2-2. Sleaping almost constant 8.5H.
I think or machine is learning me, or i get used to it... works perfect.
Leaks under controll, mask just need really good setup.
Migrane under control, and strange said but i have way more energy.
No more sleaping in car, no snoring.

Soto keap it short... If You start and have doubts... do not worry, it works (!) just be patient. You can do it. :)