id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:42 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

YoelKlein
Unread post  Post subject: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am

Hi,
I'm new to CPAP, I'm using the Nazel pillow, somehow I find my self pressing my front teeth while sleeping, it makes my teeth feel loose like when I had braces..
any ideas? am I the only one?
Thanks all!

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:48 am

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Tongue "resting" against the front teeth will keep you from opening your mouth during CPAP therapy.

YoelKlein
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:58 am

Yah, I noticed it, I also doing it to internally close my mouth not leak out air. but I don't want to hurt my teeth

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

How do you know you are doing it while you are asleep?

YoelKlein
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Because I wake up with loose teeth... seriously, I found my self doing it

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Then you need to be seeing a dentist because there's a real chance that something else is going on to cause the loose teeth besides your tongue.

Normally once we are asleep the tongue relaxes and puts no pressure on anything and even if you could maintain some pressure on your teeth from your tongue...you aren't doing it 24/7 unless you do it while awake too.

Shirley
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:53 pm

PAP Mask: nasal pillows
PAP Machine: Resmed P10
Humidifier: yes
Pressure Setting: 10/17

I'm doing that too. My teeth feel "strained" in the AM

optimalsleep
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:05 pm

PAP Mask: have a couple.... resmed p30i
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 Vauto on S
Humidifier: HumidAir
Pressure Setting: IPAP 12 EPAP 11

LSAT wrote:
Tongue "resting" against the front teeth will keep you from opening your mouth during CPAP therapy.

That's a good thing... it means your tongue is sealing air from escaping your mouth. I had to cinch up my chin strap to prevent air from leaking out to prevent loosing therapy/pressure support. I believe there is a brace to wear to help with discomfort, they are to treat Apnea, but maybe might work here, as long as you don't need to breathe through your mouth.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:07 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

YoelKlein wrote:
Because I wake up with loose teeth... seriously, I found my self doing it

There's nothing at all one can do with one's tongue that will affect even remotely normal teeth.

YoelKlein
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:22 am

Okay. I feel better now. it's getting used to

Grayson
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed P30i / ResMed SwiftFX / ResMed P10
PAP Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset / HDM Z1
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
Pressure Setting: CPAP 18 cmH2O

I'm having the same issue. I'm using the Resmed P30i and I've found that my tongue is plastered against the back of my top teeth.

I've noticed my front teeth separating. It's happened so much now that my front teeth can not physically touch my bottom teeth. I can't bite a cuticle, can't open a pack of ketchup.

Interesting article. My issue probably has to do with the fact that I'm at 18cm of pressure and my tongue takes all that and shoves it up and forward. Regardless, I see a CPAP-related orthodontia bill in my 41-year-old future.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... AP_therapy

KevinTheSleepy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tongue pressing front teeth while sleeping  |  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:02 am

PAP Mask: Bleep Dreamports
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Grayson wrote:
I'm having the same issue. I'm using the Resmed P30i and I've found that my tongue is plastered against the back of my top teeth.

I've noticed my front teeth separating. It's happened so much now that my front teeth can not physically touch my bottom teeth. I can't bite a cuticle, can't open a pack of ketchup.

Interesting article. My issue probably has to do with the fact that I'm at 18cm of pressure and my tongue takes all that and shoves it up and forward. Regardless, I see a CPAP-related orthodontia bill in my 41-year-old future.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... AP_therapy

I wonder if a bite guard would help mitigate that....