id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - New member, New to Airfit F20 mask - chronic mid back pain.
FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:46 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Srikanth SV
Unread post  Post subject: New member, New to Airfit F20 mask - chronic mid back pain.  |  Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and have got myself a ResMed Automatic with an Airfit F20 full face mask. It's been a week since I have started using this, though the airflow has helped, there are few wrinkles and I hope someone could help guide me here.

1. When I put on the mask for a 'snug fit' and turn on my sides to sleep, the air starts to leak through the side which I am sleeping.
2. So I tighten the straps and attempt to sleep.
3. However I wake up every morning between 3:30 and 4:00 am in the morning with a badly sore 'mid-back'.

I suspected that I may have tightened the straps too tight, which pull on the back of my neck and doesn't allow the connected muscles to relax, which leads to my mid-back ache.

However, if I were to loosen the straps, air leaks when I turn and trying to getting that adjusted in the middle of a good sleep is frustrating.

I used to use a 'memory foam' based contoured pillow as the pain increased significantly while I used this, and used a very thin pillow. With the thin pillow the pain subsided however never went away.

My questions are:

1. Should I use a CPAP specific pillow, if yes - could anyone who uses/had used them share their feedback and where to procure them?
2. What's the best way to fit the mask? (I have gone through their demos, seen the user guide, researched the net, etc).

Please help me resolve my pain, which is frustrating and leaving me crabby on every morning (CPAP I'm supposed to be sleeping well :(....)

Thank you so much for your time,

Best,
Sri

Dee523
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New member, New to Airfit F20 mask - chronic mid back pa  |  Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Did you back pain issues resolve? What did you do? I am also having back pain. I think it’s due to a forced new Sleeping position.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New member, New to Airfit F20 mask - chronic mid back pa  |  Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:17 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: Required to start over on ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Humidifier: HumidAir and Heated hose
Pressure Setting: Auto PAP 7-14, EPR full time 3

I have severe back pain, enough so to have received a scripted hospital style bed frame with an air mattress. I use a ResMed ASV with an F20 and side sleep.

I have a few things for you to think on with back pain and the PAP treatment. The mask needs to be just tight enough to not leak. If it's tight enough to cause discomfort, either the whole mask is not right, the cushion size is wrong, or if applicable sometimes the headgear size can be wrong. My F20 can be fitted with AirFit silicone or AirTouch memory foam cushions. I have both and while both are called medium, they are a bit different shaped. You may want to evaluate your mask thoroughly to see if it fits well or poorly.

Bed pillows may hinder masks from staying put, possibly adding to leaks and less comfort. Some have PAP mask indents/cutouts. I've heard buckwheat filled pillows may be a good choice, and I have one on my wish list. They can be rather firm, but most are made to be adjustable by way of adding or subtracting fill. They circulate air well and are shapeable.

Another possible help may be hose management, a hose hanger to take the hose's weight off the mask.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New member, New to Airfit F20 mask - chronic mid back pa  |  Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:04 am

PAP Mask: F & P Simplus
PAP Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 12-20

I have been using a buckwheat pillow for at least 6 years...love it!
https://pur-sleep.com/products/cpap-pillow