id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Struggling to get started
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:41 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

ThiccyRiccky
  Unread post  Post subject: Struggling to get started  |  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm Ricky I was just diagnosed on 12/28/20 with Severe OSA (AHI 51.2) and have a few questions! I'm currently using an older machine that was my dads because my DME hasn't gotten in touch with me yet. The doctor prescribed an APAP 5-20 which is what I have it set to. I really want to start getting use to the feeling of CPAP so I lightly use the one given to me with the provided masks. They work okay, but they're a bit old since my dad stopped using his machine a while ago.

I had a lot of trouble with the sleep study process. I did a WatchPAT at home and I laid in bed for 5+ hours and could not sleep. Something about the mentality of having the WatchPAT just would not let me sleep. I'm having the same issue with the CPAP as well. I feel that as I start to doze off, the feeling of breathing keeps me awake, and I can't get to sleep. I was able to use the machine successfully (a few hours) for one night, but every other night I just lay there, breathing in and out, no sleep. Until I take the mask off and give up.

Is there any advice out there? I know that I'm probably rushing the process but I'm at the point where I'm falling asleep at my desk and fear driving my car during the night. I just want to get the issue treated but I can't seem to fight myself in getting it treated.

Help on getting my DME/Doctors Office to expedite the process and get used to the CPAP would be helpful! I was so excited to start this but now it's feeling more like a stress than anything else.

PS. I really think that I need a full mask instead of a nasal mask which may be what is giving me a hard time. Can anyone comment on the transition from nasal mask/pillows to a full mask?

THANK YOU! :) <3

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Struggling to get started  |  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:50 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: Required to start over on ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Humidifier: HumidAir and Heated hose
Pressure Setting: Auto PAP 7-14, EPR full time 3

Welcome to the forum.

A newbie tip I used was sitting in a chair to read a book or magazine and have the PAP and mask on to get used to it. It helped to get over the odd feelings of a mask on.

Ask the doc for these copies: script, sleep study with WatchPat and others if they are done. Assuming you're in the US then HIPAA permits this request for your own test results and script copy. They are needed for your personal records so if something happens to doc's files you have proof that PAP is needed. Secondly you may post redacted study reports here and members like me can comment and help with PAP machine choice, because there is a choice you are supposed to make. Doc probably didn't tell you this. That 5-20 will need adjusted BTW, that is nearly default, 4-20 is actual default. So doc didn't sweat much by issuing defaults. Not going to be good therapy at defaults, everyone needs to have good individual pressure sets.

We can assist with that too. Look for a clinical manual maybe in PDF on the internet. You can access settings and legally do these yourself with our coaching. And with defaults you will need to.

See you can do them without edited scripts with info from members here and especially so if you get the free report tool OSCAR. See it in my links? Best tool there is for PAP success. You use OSCAR to show us charts and we say edit x y or z and things get better faster. Or you can make doc visit and say doc we need to address this or that. OK here's a script to have the DME change it. That takes days or longer. But if you chat here and we coach on the edit from default or whatever, in less than a minute it's set.

Good luck and let us know when you get the PAP. Hopefully they're nice and get you ResMed as it is best machine brand for most.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

ThiccyRiccky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Struggling to get started  |  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks so much DeltaBravo!

I knew that I had a choice in machines I was hoping to get a ResMed AutoSet 10 or A Phillips DreamStation from my DME. Small update, I purchased a DreamWear mask from RespShop here in Redmond, WA and I was not only able to fall asleep without issue but felt much better throughout the night being able to breath through my mouth!

A new problem has arisen though. I've been taking my mask off in my sleep. I've read up on people using tape, bandaids, and mittens to help stop this. I fear that it may be difficult to overcome. I find that I'm not only taking my mask off but turning the machine off at night too. Scary... I did this twice last night.

I'm hoping some training will get me through this but the new mask is working much better for night one!

I've posted my WatchPAT sleep study, this is all I was given from my doctor. I've also gotten in contact with my DME finally, hopefully I can get a good recommendation from you all for a good APAP Machine before I see them.

Thank You again!

Attachment:
File comment: WatchPAT 12/17/20
20210115095505680.pdf [50.4 KiB]
Downloaded 171 times

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Struggling to get started  |  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Your AHI was at 51.2 and RDI at 56.1, RDI counts in other items than just apnea and I've forgotten exactly what. Be sure others will teach us both soon enough. Regardless, this is severe apnea and requires PAP treatment as this is most successful. Dental appliances and surgeries have low success rates, and even the successful patients, most still need PAP anyway.

Note that someone that wrote these notes mentions keeping an eye on Central Apnea. This may be precautionary only as quite a few apnea patients new to PAP get a bit of treatment emergent CA. It could be that, but since apnea weren't broken down on this study, maybe they were round-about saying the CA that were showing (without breaking these down and listing it) that are of the pre-existing variety. Note I say MAYBE only. Without data stating either way, we do not know for certain.

The mask you get for PAP is rather universal meaning almost any PAP machine and hose can be used with it, so it's not brand specific. As in it is not a situation where ResMed PAP can only be used with ResMed masks, or Respironics etc.

I would suggest you strongly consider the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet as the one you request. It is called an Auto CPAP but is capable of being a pseudo BPAP in therapy delivery due to EPR/exhale pressure relief. This is exclusive to ResMeds. Respironics has something that's advertised as similar called Flex, but it is not the same.

The APAP will be fine for about 90+% of PAP users, so you should be fine with this AutoSet. If however therapy needs demand Bilevel or more specialized machines, then we cross that bridge when we get there.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Struggling to get started  |  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:09 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

RDI...Respiratory Disturbance Index

It's not a lot higher than the AHI but it is the AHI plus any respiratory related arousal events that didn't earn an OA or hyponea flag.

https://www.sleepdr.com/the-sleep-blog/ ... -rdi-mean/

So not unusual for it to be a bit higher than the AHI.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Struggling to get started  |  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:30 pm

Thanks for the class Pugsy. I'm getting a coffee now to prep on not sleeping this eve. due to my new friend insomnia. ;)

ThiccyRiccky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Struggling to get started  |  Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi Again!

I'm happy to report that I did end up getting a AirSense Auto. I've been using it every night and have tried the entire line of Dreamwear masks (Full Face, Nasal, and trying the pillows for the first time tonight). Just one thing, I keep taking the dang mask off in the middle of the night. My partner says that I take the mask off and turn the machine off too. But I don't remember doing it at all. I put the mask on when I wake up but, is this a learning curve? I've only had the machine for 10 days and I've already gotten a call from the DME stating I was out of compliance because I used it less than 4 hours for 2 days!