id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - First 30 days
FAQ
It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:07 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

sj7trunks
Unread post  Post subject: First 30 days  |  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:34 am

PAP Mask: AirFit N20
PAP Machine: AirSense11 Autoset
Humidifier: Setting 4
Pressure Setting: 5-10

Hi there,

First time posting and first time user of the CPAP machine. I'm reviewing my data and wanted to get feedback on how well I'm doing vs what else I can do to improve my sleep experience.

Machine: AirSense 11
Mask: AirFitN20

Oct 31st: Few leak rakes spiked, woke up twice, woke up sleepy.

Nov 17th: Learned about mouth breathing and taped my mouth, still seeing spikes for leak rate: 12/20. Averages for leak rate dropped. woke up feeling better.

Question: Should I worry about antibacterial filter not being installed?
Question: Should I try AirTouch F20 mask?
Question: Are the CPAP statistics in line with what is considered normal?
Question: I reduced my wake up events from 9 to about 2-3 a night with CPAP therapy, is that the goal or do people get away with 0-1 a night?

Overall my experience of waking up has improved substantially. Since I don't know what is normal, I'm curious if this experience can be further improved. I would appreciate people's feedback on this.

Attachments:
File comment: Oct 30th
Oct 30th.png
Oct 30th.png [ 733.44 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: Nov 17th
Nov 17th.png
Nov 17th.png [ 793.61 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: Overview
Overview.png
Overview.png [ 960.69 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: Statistics
Statistics.png
Statistics.png [ 257.46 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First 30 days  |  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:45 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

sj7trunks wrote:
Question: Should I worry about antibacterial filter not being installed?

No. Those AB filters aren't commonly used. Mainly for special circumstances when an extra layer of filtration is needed.
I have been on CPAP for over 12 years now and I have never used one.

sj7trunks wrote:
Question: Should I try AirTouch F20 mask?

Depends on why you might want to try it I guess. Mask preferences are highly individualized and what I might just love you might just hate with every being in your body...and what you might love I might hate.

Usually I tell people that if a mask interests them for whatever reason then by all means try it just because it interests you.
We always learn from mask experiments....always learn something. Now sometimes all we learn is what a bad idea that experiment was...but we learn about our own preferences, wants and needs with each experiment.

In my 12 plus years on cpap....I have probably tried 40 to 50 masks. Some I never even made it to bed with...some I made it to bed but couldn't sleep...some I found out were great masks.
The one main thing I learned about myself...I absolutely hate anything touching the bridge of my nose area so I no longer find any mask that touches that area of my nose interesting so I simply don't bother.

sj7trunks wrote:
Question: Are the CPAP statistics in line with what is considered normal?

Your "numbers" actually look quite decent. More important is how you are sleeping and feeling.

sj7trunks wrote:
Question: I reduced my wake up events from 9 to about 2-3 a night with CPAP therapy, is that the goal or do people get away with 0-1 a night?

This is where a lot of people go chasing their tail...or that elusive "turn the lights off, go to sleep, and not wake up until morning" because they think that is the "ideal goal".
Actually it is normal to wake during the night a few times. Most of the time we aren't awake long enough to form a memory and we just roll over and go back to sleep but sometimes we do remember it.
Most people aren't aware that it is entirely normal and to be expected to wake up after the completion of a REM stage sleep cycle and we might have 3 to 4 to 5 of such REM cycles throughout the night.
Google "sleep stages" and look at the normal hypnograms and you will see that post REM that an awakening is "normal".

Now as far as improving things on your report....only thing I can see worthy of note is that once you seem to go to sleep the machine sets a new minimum between 6 and 7....never really returns back to the 5 cm minimum
From the looks of your flow limitation graph and the snores I suspect that the FLs and snores are driving the pressures up.
If it were my report I would think about trying a little bit higher minimum and maybe add in some EPR to get some pressure support that would maybe help with those snores and FLs a bit better.

I don't know if these snores or FLs are a factor or not in your sleep quality but it's an easy experiment to do and it might help and won't hurt. Snores and FLs can cause arousals (that we may or may not remember) and thus worth investigating reducing.
While yours aren't horribly bad....they are fairly active and if it were my report I would at least try to reduce them.
Below is my own FL graph....you can see it is really boring and not much activity compared to yours.
Now your FL graph isn't horrible....I have seen much much worse.

All this is assuming you aren't having much nasal congestion....if you are having much nasal congestion tell us and we have a different discussion.

If it were me I would give these settings a try. It doesn't hurt to try little changes and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't but you again will learn something.

Auto mode
Minimum of 7
Maximum is your choice but if you never ever hit 10...you can leave it at 10 but if you do hit 10 even briefly I would increase the max to 12.
Turn EPR on and set it to full time at a setting of 3.
See how you like it.

My boring FL graph

sj7trunks
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First 30 days  |  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:45 pm

Thanks, this was super informative. EPR was already set at 3 but only during ramp up. I changed it to Full and set the minimum. I think I'm looking for something to measure REM stages because I have no idea what that looks like right now. I do know I have an afternoon dip in energy and that leads me to ask questions like:

Does my REM sleep get interrupted by my snoring?
Does my REM sleep resemble anything what normal looks like?

Then I can focus on what I can do to get rid of snoring. I want a boring FL graph like yours:)

Thank you!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First 30 days  |  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:09 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

We really can't determine REM accurately from any of the data provided by these cpap machines. Heck they can't even tell us if we are awake or asleep. Now there are some people who have examined the flow rate and respiration rate and tidal volume graphs up close long enough that they can get a reasonable idea when REM is happening but I have never been able to really tell enough difference with consistency to hazard a guess as to REM.

Now can snoring impact REM...yep, it can impact any sleep stage.
Snores are one of the early warning signals that the airway is trying to collapse. In your case the snores aren't horrible and the pressure is preventing further collapse to the point of meeting the criteria for an OA or hyponea since your AHI is low. Those snores aren't growing up to be an OA or hyponea but they can sure mess with overall sleep quality because of what is causing the snores in the first place.

Usual fix for snores...a little more baseline pressure.
Snores are usually easy to kill.

sj7trunks
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First 30 days  |  Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:21 pm

Day 1 of these settings

Auto mode
Minimum of 7
Maximum is your choice but if you never ever hit 10...you can leave it at 10 but if you do hit 10 even briefly I would increase the max to 12.
Turn EPR on and set it to full time at a setting of 3.

Only 2 AHI events last night. Flow rate and snores were still bumping up but I woke up tired. I can’t attribute it to the settings as I am still adjusting and I woke up in 6.5 hours rather than my normal 8. Going to try again tonight to see what numbers I can get to.

sj7trunks
Unread post  Post subject: Re: First 30 days  |  Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:01 am

I had a few days where I wasn't recording the data properly but last night I got it right. I've included the report below and can tell there are some obvious improvements with the setting above as well as switching to a larger mask.

I guess at this point I'm only concerned if the leak rate or snores are causing AHI events or arousal. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: snore issue?
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.57.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.57.13 AM.png [ 572.46 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]
File comment: leak rate issue?
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.56.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.56.13 AM.png [ 616.47 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]
File comment: summary
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.51.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.51.12 AM.png [ 621.81 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]