id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:15 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:14 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense10 AutoSet...for now
Pressure Setting: Auto 14 - 20cmH2O...for now....

Thanks! Last night wasn't much better I'm afraid. Screenshot below attached.
Sleep quality - eh...so so. Tend to toss & turn a bit but trying not to. The mask tends to leak most of the time if I'm not flat on my back. Nasal congestion seems to be a lifelong challenge due to allergies. Just took some Afrin last night (read in a previous post). I am definitely a mouth breather due to that. I may try taping my mouth shut (something my wife has sworn I should do for years! lol)

I also work in IT so I get called quite a bit as was the case this morning. So from 6:20AM ET onwards, it was up & down until I gave up on sleep efforts around 10AM.

I'm thankful to you both Pugsy and Dave! I appreciate your insights and experience here. Staying the course for now.

Attachments:
Oscar-screenshot-20200913-110451.png
Oscar-screenshot-20200913-110451.png [ 230.88 KiB | Viewed 3668 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:12 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Were you flat on your back for the most part last night?

If on your side do the leaks wake you up?

USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:37 pm

I was on my back most of the time. I have a hard time falling asleep on my side due to the leaking. It’s not bad but enough to annoy me. I tried to tighten the mask but then it hurts my upper lip under my nose.

I don’t have my home sleep study results but I will get it from my doc this week. The home sleep study I did had a finger pulse-ox, chest strap, and cannula. They said I stopped breathing 37 times an hour. Pulse-ox dropped to 82% for a small amount of time. That’s all I remember from what he told me.

Thanks again!

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:12 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: Required to start over on ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Humidifier: HumidAir and Heated hose
Pressure Setting: Auto PAP 7-14, EPR full time 3

I know what I'll suggest is easier to say and harder to do. Try adjusting the mask to just be tight enough to not leak enough to disturb your sleep. The goal is not to eliminate all leaks but just enough control of it to minimize your sleep disruptions. If you're encountering pain, it is too tight, and it needs backed off. And if you need to side sleep, there are pillows that can be molded/shaped so as to not interfere with the mask. Buckwheat hull pillow is one. There's special shaped ones for PAP users also. Some like the My Pillow. Best I could say is Google it.

I do understand the oxygen drop is reason enough for you to try for success with this as best as you can. FWIW your large leak is not bad; it's not an area I'd make as primary on plans of attack. I see other things that are more needful of attention like FL and other events. I think a second priority is maximizing your comfort. I would suggest working on how you can be as comfortable as possible with the PAP and just sleeping with minimal disruptions. Maybe you might want/need a wedge pillow. No, not all these things must be incorporated, I'm throwing out ideas to think on.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:27 pm

Dave - sounds like good advice from lots of experience with this. I will start researching pillows and working on mask fitting adjustments like you suggest.Thank you!!

Mark

USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:40 am

Adjusted the mask a wee bit tighter last night. Unfortunately, the lower left strap came unhooked at some point during the night and bugging the heck outta me for a while. I'd fiddle with the mask, it'd make noise and I'd tweak it. This carried on a bit until I realized the strap was unhooked. I fixed it and then it was ok. Definitely better side sleeping last night. I just had to move the pillow up higher on my head than I usually have it. I'm finding that you gotta kind of relearn how you sleep with this CPAP business!

Here's last night's screenshot. I think some of the CAs I was awake for. Like I said it was a bit of interrupted sleep again. At one point the pressure was blasting the heck outta me and woke me up. Looking at Oscar this morning I'm surprised it didn't wake me more often. At one point...for the briefest of moments, I thought...maybe a tracheotomy isn't all THAT bad, is it? Then I came to my senses and went back to sleep. ;)

I hope everyone had a good night of sound sleep!

Attachments:
Oscar-screenshot-20200914-093905.png
Oscar-screenshot-20200914-093905.png [ 220.31 KiB | Viewed 3644 times ]
USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 am

Hi Folks!
Here's an updated chart from last night. Seemed to be a fairly restful night. I am noticing that I feel a bit more rested during the days. I wake up a couple of times usually which is an improvement. Still need to get my sleep study from my doctor this week. Any tweaking that should be done here? Am also wondering if a BiPAP machine might help more? I know there are other types (AutoSV, ST, etc) so no idea if any of that applies to me. Thanks again as always!

Attachments:
Oscar-screenshot-20200921-094802.png
Oscar-screenshot-20200921-094802.png [ 209.96 KiB | Viewed 3572 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 am

Bipap/Bilevel machines ....lots of them that do various things.
All you might need is one that is like your apap but will go to 25 instead of the current max of 20.
You don't need ST for sure or ASV either...just what I call a plain bilevel which is essentially functions like an apap but will go to 25 if needed and has a little bit more comfort features available.

The ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto would do nicely. That's what I am using now and I don't even need really high pressures often.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:06 am

I too would say the VAuto would be the answer.

USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:22 am

Thank you Pugsy & Dave! Much appreciated. I wonder if my DME would do yet another exchange if I get the doctor to order it? I already swapped out the DreamStation after one week for the AirSense 10 AutoSet. I was just reading up on the VAuto and agree that it sounds like that's the one I should be on after collecting this data for a while. I'm finding this Sleep Apnea business is a little wonky. As in I would think the DME would take approach of "we'll work with you to find the best machine possible for your needs. We'll be reviewing your data regularly (they get my data automatically every day via the cellular connection). So why aren't they calling me and saying..."Hey Mark...you need to tweak this or come in for a different machine."

Do they ever do that? I feel like their not. They reluctantly swapped out the machine once which I'm thankful for but the process just seems broken to me.

Thank you all for your expertise and sharing it with us all here.

Thank you!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 am

The DME has to do what the doctor says to do no matter how they feel about it.

You have to start with your doctor ordering the different machine though.
They won't do anything without the doctor saying it is needed...they can't.

Your insurance will pay as long as the doctor says it is needed.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:09 am

It pays to have Doc on your side. If Doc says it with documentation and a script, it must be carried out by the DME. If you've got a good doc and will consider your input, suggest the doc adds the phrase on your script Dispense As Written. They cannot argue against DAW. Just make sure what Doc writes is what you yourself want, in this case a VAuto. Personally it doesn't matter too much what pressures as you can edit yourself, but if you can tell doc to add what you've used it doesn't hurt. And always tell doc why you changed XYZ setting so he can document and have him involved by asking his input. Less feather ruffling gives you bonus points. Good luck to ya.

USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Good advice from you both as always! Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes so others may benefit from it as well, hopefully. ;)

Thanks!

USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:19 am

Update from my latest doctor appointment. The doctor refused my request to upgrade to the ResMed VAuto device. He said that I was at 16cmH20 90% of the time which was within specs for the AutoSet device I'm using. I had several Oscar reports with me and shared those with him. He still declined. I was really hoping he'd agree as I've met my $4000.00 annual insurance deductible this year due to other medical issues with myself, my wife and my daughter (Year 2020!!) I also tried to explain to the doctor that everytime this unit hits 19 - 20cmH20, it causes the mask to leak quite a bit and wakes me up every day around 5AM. He said that maybe my sleep cycle was changing now that I'm getting more restful sleep and it's not necessarily the high pressure. He also said that masks do leak and that's ok to a degree. I told him I have tried adjusting the mask many times and any tighter just gets uncomfortable. Not sure what re-course I have unless I go see another doctor. Which I might do. Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
mark

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:49 am

Unfortunately it's obvious your doctor won't get on board.
If you do decide to try a different doctor....what you need to concentrate on is your inability to exhale against the higher pressures even using EPR of 3. The Bilevel machine offers more exhale relief than 3 cm.
That's the one feature of the machine that doctors can't say the AutoSet can clearly match.

So...you have significant problems exhaling against that pressure...don't you?????? Do you get my drift here????

USAMarkD70
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:55 pm

I do catch your drift, Pugsy! And it'd be no lie either. I think that's one of the things that might be waking me up. I often turn the machine off when I wake up, then turn it back on again so I can get back to sleep. Otherwise, it's just uncomfortable breathing with it blowing that hard. Thank you again!!

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newb Here - Help Interpreting SH Data Please  |  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:01 pm

OK, adding in a bit of Complaining 101. Doc needs to know all symptoms and complaints about running a CPAP at max pressure is not comfortable, is not restful, is very disruptive to sleep, and is NOT tolerated well. I think you need to replace the APAP with VAuto and replace Dr. Donothing with Dr. Wholistens.

Oh on the complaint front revisit: whoever the doc is, tell him about this uncomfortable CPAP therapy every single visit. You are a broken record of CPAP is uncomfortable, I cannot sleep restful, etc. EVERY VISIT.