id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 pm

PAP Mask: Dream Wear Amara full face mask
PAP Machine: Phillips DreamStation
Pressure Setting: 9.5
9.5 cm

Hello All,

I was recently diagnosed with OSA from a home sleep study and went "in lab" for titration, and have been on my CPAP for 5 nights (tonight will be night 6). I also have asthma. My machine (Phillips Dream Station) shows my daily AHI and so does the Dream Mapper app. I also downloaded OSCAR and have been looking at that as well. My pressure is pretty low (7cm). I have noticed that my AHI is still a little high even though I am faithfully using my CPAP all night long. Well, I actually sleep 2-3 (sometime 4) hours at a time, but always put my CPAP back on when I go back to sleep after waking up to use the rest room or whatever. My AHI's are as follows from nights 1-5 respectively. 5.2, 11.9, 15.2, 15.2 (yes for 2 nights in a row it was the same) and 16.1. I know that isn't really that bad and some events could be due to leak or whatever, but it says my mask fit is 100% and no "big leaks". I KNOW that I am having events because I literally wake up gasping for air. I also know that everyone can have central apereas as well as obstructive, but I have been having quite a few central apneas in addition to obstructive apneas. I don't know how to download my OSCAR reports or I would attach a few here. I did not get a copy of my initial home sleep study results, but was told that my AHI was 7 (which I know is only slightly above "normal", so it is really not bad at all and I honestly didn't think I would even need a CPAP, but I do apparently). So, I am wondering if this is normal when someone first starts CPAP therapy and once your body gets used to it, things get better. I don't want to dismiss everything, but I also understand that it is probably not near as bad as the reports are showing since it isn't as sensitive or "knowing" as it is during a sleep study with all of the monitors and wires. I DO know that I actually have a problem now, and I DO want to get the therapy I need to make things better. I also know that I may need to have my pressure adjusted. I have a follow up appt. with my pulmonologist on Feb. 8th to check on compliance and see how things are going, and will take my SD card with me that day with all of the data as they require that. So, I just wondering what you think.

Thanks. :D
Krista

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Vitera & Simplus, ResMed F20 N/P30i & old Amara View
PAP Machine: Required to start over on ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Humidifier: HumidAir and Heated hose
Pressure Setting: Auto PAP 7-14, EPR full time 3

Welcome to the forum.

You're on the right track with apnea, as now you know it's what you've got and doing something to fight it is always good. I've found that most PAP therapy is best with less than 5 AHI while on PAP. Zero isn't needed, but less than 5 likely is best for all.

It may be helpful to share the PAP therapy settings. BTW these can be edited by you, which may be suggested once we see data.

The sleep study and titration if you've had them, request your detailed copies. US has HIPAA that says you can get them. Scan into your PC and post redacted versions. This plus OSCAR data helps us know where you're at therapy wise. CA shows in lots of new PAP patients. Others like me have CA before PAP treatment and shows in the sleep study.

I'm not sure if you've got PC or Mac, but the PC does OSCAR screenshot captures and that is what needs posted. Mac should be similar. If you're seeing the data via OSCAR, we're almost there already. Fire up OSCAR then look at your daily tab. Line up the charts in no zoom in then Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leak, and Flow Limit. These need squashed top to bottom some to have all fit but it's OK for first view. Now from there on PC use F11 to maximize the OSCAR and then F12 for a capture. This saved wherever screenshots may be, some folder. Wherever that is, find that one just made.

Part 2 is you're here on forum, making a post in Full Editor. Below this text box is Filename - choose file. Point this to that saved OSCAR shot via that F12. Then choose Add the file. The forum responds with an add inline, meaning point into text box where you want the image to appear. The bottom is typically best, like this one I did here.

Attachment:
Forum attach.png
Forum attach.png [ 732.82 KiB | Viewed 3612 times ]

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Chart_Organization

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:21 am

9.5 cm

Thank you DeltaBravo.

I have a PC and will try to figure out how to attach my OSCAR report when I get home from work and on my home computer. I did have a LITTLE better night last night, as my AHI was on 8.6. So, that is progress in the right direction. But, I can't seem to get any good amount of "uninterrupted" sleep, so I am freaking EXHAUSTED and feel horrible. I will work on OSCAR later tonight.

Thank you !

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:31 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

It's extremely important that we know what category of events your machine is flagging to make up that AHI and unfortunately the machine on screen data doesn't show the breakdown into each of the 3 categories.

The reason being that depending on what category is the primary high number might need different options to try to reduce the numbers.

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm

9.5 cm

Hello Pugsy,

I am going to try to get some results posted on here tonight or tomorrow, when I get home and figure it out. But, from what I see, my highest numbers are hypopneas, then obstructive apneas, and then central apneas. Since I have been using the CPAP since last Wednesday, my numbers per night respectively are Hypopnea - 40, 78, 55, 51, 49, 44.. Obstructive - 4, 11, 43, 45, 32, 16 and Central - 1, 18, 20, 20, 11, 4. That's from my DreamMapper app. I don't have access to OSCAR at work right now.

I am not sure if that is what you are asking, as all of this is still very new to me so please excuse my ignorance with all of this. My DreamMapper app just shows the amount of obstructive apneas, central apneas and hypopneas I have per night, and my AHI (and pressure, amount of time I use it and mask fit). I know the numbers can look worse than they really are, so I am not trying to overreact or anything, I just want to learn what all of this is and this site has been very helpful so far. :)

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm

OSCAR data is best, as it gives the visual presenting of data. What you've posted isn't wrong or not helpful though. It is stating the therapy as is needs to be made better. There's 2 ways it gets better, either by edits to the settings or if it can't get better that way, doc needs to reconsider and get a different machine. PAP therapy is summer like cars, there's different ones for different needs.

Generically with this info of Hypopneas then Obstructive and then Central, it sounds like with these numbers going up and down, that the pressures aren't ideally optimized for you as an individual. Hypopneas are roughly 1/2 to 3/4 strength apnea. The tricky part is Hypopneas can be either Obstructive or Central in nature.

If these are Obstructive in nature, then depending on your PAP machine model, be it CPAP, APAP, BPAP, depends on which controls are available to edit to help out.

With high Hypopneas being flagged at that very high rate, it gives the impression you're not getting good treatment. It's going to be best to see OSCAR if at all possible, but actually all these up and down event amounts make it sound like therapy isn't offering much as is.

Last edited by DeltaBravo3.8 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:32 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

The numbers of events without the relationship to the number of hours slept makes it harder to evaluate but the OAs and hyponeas are obstructive in nature events. The Clear Airway events are central apnea in nature.

Obstructive in nature events point to needing more pressure but more pressure won't fix central in nature events and in some cases might even trigger more centrals. So we really do need to see the detailed reports and add in when the flagging of the events happened.
Also need to know if you think you slept soundly or not.

We also need to know all the machine settings....all of this is easily seen on the software's detailed nightly reports.
With the exception of sleep status...the machine has zero way to know if you were asleep or not.

I suspect you need a pressure adjustment upwards but until we see what really is happening and when it is happening I hesitate to say for sure.
It would just be guessing and I don't like guessing when data is available to help us know what is going on and best options.

DeltaBravo3.8
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 pm

Yes definitely, not only the data but a decently detailed answer to "how do you feel" during and post therapy session. Roughly things like the night with high Hypopneas was the night I woke a few times and was very fatigued all that day, feedback of that sort.

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:11 pm

9.5 cm

Okay, I just got home and opened OSACAR. I am going to try to see if I can share some results on here.

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-181226.png
screenshot-20210112-181226.png [ 54.66 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:22 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-182039.png
screenshot-20210112-182039.png [ 62.49 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:22 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-182103.png
screenshot-20210112-182103.png [ 59.89 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:25 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-182312.png
screenshot-20210112-182312.png [ 61.58 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-182328.png
screenshot-20210112-182328.png [ 58.98 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-182339.png
screenshot-20210112-182339.png [ 66.31 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:29 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-182914.png
screenshot-20210112-182914.png [ 63.07 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:37 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-183615.png
screenshot-20210112-183615.png [ 60.61 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:37 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-183419.png
screenshot-20210112-183419.png [ 59.02 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:45 pm

9.5 cm

Attachment:
screenshot-20210112-181226.png
screenshot-20210112-181226.png [ 54.66 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

Raven Lady
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed - AHI Question  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:52 pm

9.5 cm

So, I figured out how to post them (as you can tell).. lol.. I have MANY more, but I am sure y'all don't need to see them all. lol.. The problem is that there are several results for each night, broken up into sections, so I am confused how that works. It seems like when I click on something, it changes to another "session". So, I just chose a few to post, but there are many more. My machine and my DreamMappper app are easy to see my AHI and DreamMapper shows the 3 specific events (OA, CA and Hypopnea and how many I have each night. I wake up every 2-3 hours or so. I feel like CRAP in the morning. Honestly, when I wait to put my mask on until I am about to fall asleep, so that I don't have to wear it while I am awake. I can tell you that most of the time, I am asleep while the mask is on. I also do wake up gasping for breath. I am exhausted, but I am wearing my mask like I am supposed to for insurance compliance, and hopefully to feel better soon.