id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Reading...do I need a cpap
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:38 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Yolzy
Unread post  Post subject: Reading...do I need a cpap  |  Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:45 pm

PAP Mask: Full mask dreamwear
PAP Machine: Fisher and Paykel sleepstyle
Humidifier: Yes
Pressure Setting: 5.5

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 1110 times ]
I was told I have a low score..what do you think? The sales rep said to look at the ALL secret of 5.9

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 1111 times ]
Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Reading...do I need a cpap  |  Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

G'day Yolzy, welcome to the forum.

The first rule in life is Don't get your medical advice from a sales rep!

It would be useful if you could give us the whole report to view, including the rest of the summary, and recommendations and any charts.

Your AHI (apnea / hypopnea index) of 5.9 puts you just on the borderline of having sleep apnea (above 5.0 is mild apnea, below 5.0 is "normal"). However the AHI is just a crude score which doesn't tell us the whole story. I see you also had total arousals of 30.6/hr - these could be respiratory effort-related arousals (RERAs) which are pretty much what the name says. They can be caused by a narrowing of the airway that isn't severe enough to classify as an hypopnea but still interrupts your sleep. Somebody has written "causes fatigue" against this number on your report, and that may well be correct.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Yolzy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Reading...do I need a cpap  |  Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Hi Respirator99

I thought that showed my whole report? I’ll look for the chart...it’s somewhere filed away.
I do know one side of my nose doesn’t take in air as well as the other. Apparently one side (right) hasn’t got a sinus? Or something..lol

Yolzy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Reading...do I need a cpap  |  Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:51 am

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 1019 times ]
Here are the other parts of the study

Attachments:
File comment: I think this was the day time sleep test
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 1019 times ]
Yolzy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Reading...do I need a cpap  |  Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:52 am

Respirator99 wrote:
G'day Yolzy, welcome to the forum.

The first rule in life is Don't get your medical advice from a sales rep!

It would be useful if you could give us the whole report to view, including the rest of the summary, and recommendations and any charts.

Your AHI (apnea / hypopnea index) of 5.9 puts you just on the borderline of having sleep apnea (above 5.0 is mild apnea, below 5.0 is "normal"). However the AHI is just a crude score which doesn't tell us the whole story. I see you also had total arousals of 30.6/hr - these could be respiratory effort-related arousals (RERAs) which are pretty much what the name says. They can be caused by a narrowing of the airway that isn't severe enough to classify as an hypopnea but still interrupts your sleep. Somebody has written "causes fatigue" against this number on your report, and that may well be correct.

Please see the forms attached to my post

Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Reading...do I need a cpap  |  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:03 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

These results pretty much confirm what I said before, you're in that borderline area where a machine may well help you, but is not guaranteed. Given those results, I'd be inclined to give it a go. Do you have a provider who can offer a "rent-to-buy" scheme? Give the machine a three month trial then decide if you should buy it. You probably won't get much support from your health fund, but it's worth talking to them.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts