id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Oscar Reports (Dreamstation 1)
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:44 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Morgoth
Unread post  Post subject: Oscar Reports (Dreamstation 1)  |  Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:54 pm

Hello ladies and gentlmen!

I suffer from severe OSA for quite a long time, and since I live behind Gods back in Serbia, Europe I just got diagnosed recently.

My mom is a nurse, and 15 years ago she noticed that I don't breathe while sleeping etc... Here, we still didn't have diagnostic nor we have been aware of sleep apnea, anyway I did night heart test and everything was ok.

Meanwhile I got more and more tired, basically was walking like a zombie, and started gaining a lot of weight etc...2 years ago we found out about sleep apnea diaagnostic in our town, I took the home test, was anxious of my problem finally being resolved and couldn't fall asleep, the doc said I'm just a nervous guy and sent me to a shrink, they've put me on beta-blockers and Zoloft. still continued living like a zombie.

I gave up, I just accepted I'm crazy, until I moved to another town and did the sleep study once again, basically because I started snoring while awake...

And voila the test shown: Severe OSA, AHI- 40.5, ODI - 53.3 and minimal Oxygen Saturation 71%.

Our medical insurance in our country doesn't cover CPAP, or any apnea therapy... Basically if you have it, you have to fund it yourself.

So, two weeks ago after I got diagnosed I got put my doc to a DME provider for CPAP machine, and they sold me, you guess, Dreamstation. Meanwhile, I found out about the foam scandal PR had, and also found out, if I remember well, that during April Phillips adviced DMEs to stop selling Dreamstations because of the foam problem, which my DME didn't have problem to do.

Anyway, I bought the machine, and since I suffer from chronic rhinitis and always have heavy nasal congestion while lying down, I got Amara Full Face Silicon, the nose impaler one mask, since it's the only full face mask they had at the moment.

And I have a hard time to adjust the seal with it, no matter how tight or loose I put it on my face seems that I can't get a good seal, even when I don't feel leaks around the mask, DS shows that seal wasn't good. Also, I still snore while sleeping.

And I doubt that they made any pressure adjustment for my needs, I got into clinical menu and saw that the pressures are 4-12, however, pressure of 4 makes me suffocating, I feel much comfortable with pressure of 7 droping down to 4 on exhale with aflex - 3, so I did that adjustment. However, every time I start the therapy, pressures get restarted and I have to set it every time prior using it. Also lately I'm not sure that I'm even getting adequate pressures, when I was using it for the first few nights the machine was "forcing me" to inhale when I get to the end point of my exhalation, but right now I can hold my breath for like 20 seconds and nothing, I don't feel it's trying to deliver me the pressure until I start to inhale it, to me it feels that something is wrong...

So I decided to bring the machine back, it was just two weeks, and I don't want to risk with cancer foam if I don't have to, I think I'll go outside my country and buy a new machine, possibly Resmed, Devillbis is also available in my country.

But meanwhile I installed Oscar and I kindly ask good people on this board to help me interprete my results and what to do until I resolve things? I'm kinda stuck with this Amara silicon mask at the moment, but I'll try to get both Dreamware fullface and Resmed F30i and rotate them.

Thanks

Attachments:
screenshot-20210619-222831.png
screenshot-20210619-222831.png [ 157.86 KiB | Viewed 1228 times ]
screenshot-20210619-222822.png
screenshot-20210619-222822.png [ 146.25 KiB | Viewed 1228 times ]
screenshot-20210619-222803.png
screenshot-20210619-222803.png [ 151.19 KiB | Viewed 1228 times ]
screenshot-20210619-222721.png
screenshot-20210619-222721.png [ 137.1 KiB | Viewed 1228 times ]
screenshot-20210619-222748.png
screenshot-20210619-222748.png [ 136.81 KiB | Viewed 1228 times ]
Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar Reports (Dreamstation 1)  |  Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:25 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

Hi Morgoth, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for providing the daily charts for the week - it helps us follow exactly what's happening. Could I suggest you turn off the VS2 trace - it doesn't give us a lot of information, but it does cover up other important stuff.

Considering your untreated AHI was over 40, you're doing very well so far. Apart from Tuesday night and the Saturday afternoon nap, your apnea is reasonably well controlled (but there is room for improvement). As you correctly suggested, the biggest problem is large leaks. I think if these could be overcome it should be fairly easy to eliminate the remaining apneas and hypopneas. Finding the right mask for your particular face is always difficult, and one of the biggest sources of treatment failure. I like your idea of rotating various masks, though that could become very expensive. There is an excellent article on masks and controlling leaks here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer I suggest you read it right through - lots of good information there. The only thing to beware of is that it's written for an American audience, and they generally don't have to fund new masks out of their own pocket.

If you decide to go for a different machine in place of your Dreamstation, I'd suggest the Resmed AutoSet - it has an excellent reputation and many people find it's both comfortable and effective. The Resmed reacts more quickly to apneas and precursors (eg snoring and flow limitation) than the Dreamstation. So if you stay with the DS I'd suggest you turn off the Flex and/or raise your minimum pressure to allow the machine to react more quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Morgoth
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar Reports (Dreamstation 1)  |  Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:11 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Hi Morgoth, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for providing the daily charts for the week - it helps us follow exactly what's happening. Could I suggest you turn off the VS2 trace - it doesn't give us a lot of information, but it does cover up other important stuff.

Considering your untreated AHI was over 40, you're doing very well so far. Apart from Tuesday night and the Saturday afternoon nap, your apnea is reasonably well controlled (but there is room for improvement). As you correctly suggested, the biggest problem is large leaks. I think if these could be overcome it should be fairly easy to eliminate the remaining apneas and hypopneas. Finding the right mask for your particular face is always difficult, and one of the biggest sources of treatment failure. I like your idea of rotating various masks, though that could become very expensive. There is an excellent article on masks and controlling leaks here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer I suggest you read it right through - lots of good information there. The only thing to beware of is that it's written for an American audience, and they generally don't have to fund new masks out of their own pocket.

If you decide to go for a different machine in place of your Dreamstation, I'd suggest the Resmed AutoSet - it has an excellent reputation and many people find it's both comfortable and effective. The Resmed reacts more quickly to apneas and precursors (eg snoring and flow limitation) than the Dreamstation. So if you stay with the DS I'd suggest you turn off the Flex and/or raise your minimum pressure to allow the machine to react more quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Respirator99.

How do I turn off VS2 trace ?

I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to fall asleep without Flex, but I'll try tonight to see what's going to happen. I have a mild chronic bronchitis, and exhalation was always problem for me, even without exhaling against the pressure.

I'm still not sure how dangerous is that foam inside DS, I would rather stick with it, but I just bought it recently so I can return it and get the money back and try importing Resmed. I was also thinking to get Resmed bipap machine actually so I can have the exhalation pressure lower. I'll think about that, and I'll see with my DME tomorrow are there any news about the recall... To be honest, using a medical device, that can potentially harm you is beyond pointless...

Thanks for your response !

EDIT: Ok I managed to turn off VS2, this was last night

Attachments:
19-20.png
19-20.png [ 149.25 KiB | Viewed 1201 times ]
Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar Reports (Dreamstation 1)  |  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:04 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

Hi Morgoth, how's it been going? Did you end up deciding what to do about your machine?

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Morgoth
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Oscar Reports (Dreamstation 1)  |  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Hi Morgoth, how's it been going? Did you end up deciding what to do about your machine?

Hi Respirator99 !

Well yes, I'm buying Resmed Airsense s10 Autoset tomorrow, finally found the distributor in my country, and I'll get F30i mask on Friday.The distributor who sold me Dreamstation 1 will refund me money... I'll report back when I start using Resmed.

Right now I'm going without therapy, I'm just using and oral appliance which doesn't really work in my case and I have really really hard time to get rested, I mean, it's not that I have any rest with Amara Fullface mask and Dreamstation though, Amara is awful and so uncomfortable for me...

Thanks for being interested !