id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Final night on Respironics vs. first 2 nights on Airsense 10
FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:13 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Final night on Respironics vs. first 2 nights on Airsense 10  |  Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:25 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit F20
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics REMstar (until 7/21)
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset (after 7/21)
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: APAP 14-18

I think I posted on the wrong board previously, so I’ll try again here.

Over the weekend, I switched over from my 5-year-old Philips Respironics machine to the new ResMed Airsense 10. Is there a setting I need to change to get rid of the nearly constant leak? I feel rested and there are no apneas noted. I’m using the same mask and connector as before. Have I been leaking like this all along and the old machine just wasn’t as sensitive as the new one? With all those leaks, am I even getting therapy?

Attachments:
8817881E-7255-456A-9691-B03C7DE86161.jpeg
8817881E-7255-456A-9691-B03C7DE86161.jpeg [ 206.92 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
B094A20A-568F-4DFA-9206-F5B3D1C0D3F0.jpeg
B094A20A-568F-4DFA-9206-F5B3D1C0D3F0.jpeg [ 204.65 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
8C27C983-D52A-4C9F-86FE-119CEA7B9E51.jpeg
8C27C983-D52A-4C9F-86FE-119CEA7B9E51.jpeg [ 228.91 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Final night on Respironics vs. first 2 nights on Airsens  |  Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:20 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Different brands of machines have different leak thresholds where they think they can compensate for the leak.
They also report leaks differently.
Respironics reports total leak (top leak line on the leak graph) which is the mask's expected vent rate (also called intentional leak) PLUS the excess leak.
ResMed machines report only EXCESS leak.
The bottom leak line on the Respironics leak graph more closely corresponds to EXCESS leak but it isn't as exact as ResMed's leak numbers because Respironics machines actually have a roaming large leak threshold and it varies with pressure and mask used.

At any rate Respironics has a more generous line in the sand for where large leak territory begins.

ResMed machines have a much more conservative line in the sand where large leak territory begins....24 L/min.
You have cut off the leak graph from your images so can't really tell how bad it went to for how long but looks like at least 40 L/min and that is getting up close to where the machine may not sense events. We just don't know...did you not have any events....or did the machine miss them????

Your mask is moving and you are losing the seal. There is no setting that you can do (or should do) to fix the leak. It's a mask fit problem and not a machine problem.
You probably had the same issue with the Respironics machine but it thought it could handle it...ResMed thinks it is a problem.
Just how much of a problem it really is...we don't know but once the excess leak gets over 35 L/min then the machine can start having some issues sensing, identifying and recording events.

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Final night on Respironics vs. first 2 nights on Airsens  |  Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:44 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit F20
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics REMstar (until 7/21)
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset (after 7/21)
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: APAP 14-18

Thank you so much for your analysis. I am definitely curious why the old machine recorded events despite "undetected" leaks.

Sorry about cutting off the chart. My laptop has a small screen. I scrolled down a little on last night's stats and here is the new screenshot.

Attachments:
Resmed 7-05-21 with leak rate.JPG
Resmed 7-05-21 with leak rate.JPG [ 209.56 KiB | Viewed 723 times ]
Respirator99
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Final night on Respironics vs. first 2 nights on Airsens  |  Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:43 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP: 8.0 Max EPAP: 11.0 PS Min: 3.0 PS Max: 8.0

As far as I can tell from your graph of 3 July, your Philips machine was running at a fairly constant excess leak of around 40 L/min. I would have expected that to trigger a large leak signal. However as Pugsy explained above the Philips machine handles its leak reporting somewhat differently from a Resmed.

In either case, persistent leaks of that size are probably not doing you any good. You need to look at the mask and how it fits - there is no machine setting to fix this.

* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* Organise your Oscar charts

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Final night on Respironics vs. first 2 nights on Airsens  |  Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:26 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

At those pressures large leak territory going by excess pressure on the Respironics it looks like somewhere around 60 L/min might be where the line was. That is a small segment of large leak on the July 3.
Can't really see exactly what the leak line number was exactly but around 60.

It's close because of 2 reasons....one is OSCAR may not be exact with the excess leak number calculations because the machine never actually reports that number. It only reports total leak and there's no static number to start excess leak only calculations because with Respironics the line is always moving depending on pressures used and masks used.