id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Still struggling
FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:37 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Still struggling  |  Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:26 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit F20
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics REMstar (until 7/21)
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset (after 7/21)
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: APAP 14-18

I can't figure out where all this leaking is occurring. Every night I run mask fit and get the smiley face. Then about 40-60 minutes later it starts showing large leaks. After 5 years on therapy, I think I know what a leaking mask feels like, and I'm not having any. I'm tempted to go back to my Philips machine, which gave me none of this "unclassified apnea" crap. Attached are screenshots of the last two nights, plus one from last month on the Philips, using the same mask.

Attachments:
6-29-21 Philips.JPG
6-29-21 Philips.JPG [ 211.98 KiB | Viewed 660 times ]
7-16-21.jpg
7-16-21.jpg [ 199.66 KiB | Viewed 660 times ]
7-15-21.jpg
7-15-21.jpg [ 195.75 KiB | Viewed 660 times ]
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Still struggling  |  Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:56 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Your mask is moving later in the night.
Facial oils, sweat, facial hair, etc....they all affect the seal and can cause leaks later in the night because they can allow mask movement.

It does seal just fine at the beginning of the night and then something causes the seal to go straight into the toilet.

Unclassified apnea crap....that's because the excess leak is so bad that the machine knows some sort of event is happening but due to the leak it doesn't know what to call it. Is it missing and not even flagging events???
We don't know which is a potential problem. An occasional UA is no worse than an occasional OA or hyponea....it's the ones that might be happening that we don't know about that is the potential problem.

The mask is moving around later in the night from something causing the seal to break.

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Still struggling  |  Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:17 am

I shave every morning but I guess it could be my five o'clock shadow (which isn't very thick) causing it. And I wash my face every night before bed. I also use a "Silent Night" brand mask liner... could that be sliding around and breaking the seal? It stretches out of shape during the night and my wife washes it every morning, which snaps it back into shape and extends its life. Do other people use mask liners and have leaks with them?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Still struggling  |  Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:13 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto

Try omitting the Silent Night liner and see what happens.
Sometimes it can make leaks worse.
Its main advantage (as for most mask liners) is to help muffle small leaks that we call "face farts" and wake us up. Small leaks that don't wake us up aren't that big of a deal but prolonged big large leaks...a problem.

SleepyRich
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Still struggling  |  Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:35 am

I got my first smiley face! 8-) Looks like I finally got some real therapy, judging by the pressure.

I kept the liner on but switched to a new headgear and made it much tighter, and that seemed to help. I'm thinking the old one lost its elasticity.

The problem is that the bridge of my nose hurts a lot, and I can't have that going forward. I have tried one of those boomerang devices before and I leaked like crazy, so that's a non-starter, and I ended up using layers of bandaids: small circles on the sides where my glasses sit, and one strip over the bridge. So I'm going to keep using the new headgear and try loosening the upper straps a little tonight.

Attachments:
7-17-21_New_Headgear.jpg
7-17-21_New_Headgear.jpg [ 213.3 KiB | Viewed 626 times ]