id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Regressing
FAQ
It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:18 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Iconbrushman
Unread post  Post subject: Regressing  |  Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:03 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Airfit F20
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: 6-16

I've been using a CPAP machine since August 9th. Being claustrophobic I thought I would never be able to handle the mask, but I gradually got used to it and was averaging 6 1/2 to 7 hours of use per night for the first month, to my amazement. It was a challenge, though, getting through the night. I dreaded going to bed. Since then I've been regressing and find myself trying 3 or 4 times a night, taking the mask off after 15 or 30 minutes. It feels like I can't get enough air and someone's hand is covering my face. After I take off the mask each time, it seems that I fall asleep rather well until I awake to use the bathroom or for some other reason. I've about reached the point of just giving up and getting along without CPAP. What prompted me to have the sleep test initially was my awakening once or twice a night (but not every night) feeling out of breath, plus my wife complained of me snoring. At this point in time she says I don't snore anymore, even when not using the machine, and I don't wake up out of breath. I don't get it. Could my limited use of CPAP corrected something or is it just coincidental that it seems I no longer need it? By the way, I still dread going to bed knowing I'll being wearing that mask. I tried the pillow in the hospital setting and didn't like the pressure when I opened my mouth, but I'm considering getting one to try at home before I totally give up.
I plan to talk to the Lincaire guy next week.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Regressing  |  Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:35 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, DreamWear FFM
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Having claustrophobia, you should do better with a nasal mask or nasal pillows mask than with the full face mask. I don't think your one month of CPAP "fixed" anything. There is an adjustment period, and there is a lot of trial and error with masks and pressures, etc, and I think if you find a mask that doesn't trigger your anxiety, things will get better for you. The AirFit P10 has only one strap and is a nasal pillow mask, very little on your face. The Swift FX and the FX Nano (one is a pillow, one is a nasal cushion) are both comfortable and use the same headgear and can interchange between the same short hose frame. Just two straps, nothing between your eyes, and again, very little on your face. The F&P Brevida also only has one strap, and looks to be kind of a hybrid between nasal cushion and nasal pillow. You can take a look at websites like cpap.com, or the like, to see these masks before you go to your DME so you have a good idea of what you would like to try out for your next mask. Hang in there, and have some patience. Once you find a mask you can live with, it gets a lot easier. Also, maybe don't wait until you are going to bed to get your machine and mask ready for you. If when you go to bed all you have to do is your old routine and then slip on your mask, it makes it more like the old days, but without your body trying to kill you while you try to sleep.

Good luck, and keep posting if you need to vent your frustrations. Whatever gets you through it.

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Regressing  |  Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:28 pm

PAP Mask: Amara
PAP Machine: Dreamstation apap
Humidifier: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 5 to 10 cmH20

Hi iconbrushman! Don't give up!

I've only been on an auto cpap for 17 nights and have seen remarkable results! I would never have believed it if it hadn't happened to me! My fatigue was so bad that all I could think about was when I could take my next nap.
Now I have energy. And my appetite has decreased markedly! I've been trying to lose weight for several years without much success. I was hungry all the time because my body was not resting and was craving energy any way it could get it. Now I look forward to going to bed , even with a full face mask, knowing that I am doing my body good. I sleep better now than I have for over 30 years! I don't have claustrophobia and I've heard that it is difficult to control! I went through a time where driving over bridges was difficult causing me to have anxiety attacks! I made myself pay close attention to any bridge crossings when I was a passenger while on family trips and even started driving over them and I am much better now.

Enough about me!

I just want to encourage you! Our brains are remarkable things! Knowledge is power. Instead of dreading going to bed think of all the benefits you are getting out of the treatment!

I'm not very well versed about the equipment side of things yet since this all new to me too, but it seems to me that something in your set up may be off. Other folks on this forum can help you there ! They have helped me greatly and made this experience way easier than it could have been and for that I am thankful beyond words!

Hang in there!! Tell yourself over and over again how beneficial the treatment is to you and be genuinely grateful that it exists. After a while your brain will help you accept it.

Keep trying masks or whatever you need to keep you going until you find what works. I hear that alot of medical providers aren't very helpful once they diagnose and get the equipment to you . Don't let that stop you. Learn all you can about your machine and don’t be afraid to try stuff. Ask your doc questions , as I have been told on here , the doc works for you!

I wish you the very best ! Don't give up ! You can do it!!!!!!